About that 40 kWh Battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pipestem said:
That sounds like a lot less room to dissipate heat.
It sounds like the same amount of room. These batteries will not dissipate more heat unless they have more internal resistance. Likely they have less because that's the direction you need to move with technology.

But there are many, many things that can be done to reduce the capacity loss of these batteries. Unfortunately, some of those things require a trade-off of capacity to achieve them. Other changes can be made by putting additives into the electrolyte. Unfortunately, Nissan did not take my advice to hire Dr. Jeff Dahn (inventor of NMC chemistry), who is on the forefront of greatly improving the issue of capacity fade in Li-ion batteries. Instead, they did not pursue him and Tesla has tied him up in a five-year exclusive agreement. Within the first year, Dahn came up with improvements which reduced the capacity fade in Tesla's batteries by more than half.
pipestem said:
Do we have any official references on specifics of battery composition and changes over the years. The only thing I found was that message board post from a Nissan employee saying something like replacement batteries would have the improved composition, but no specifics. What do we really know with citations?
We know that Nissan has moved from LMO chemistry to NMC chemistry, just like Chevrolet did with the Volt. Search the forum for LMO or NMC to learn more.

RegGuheert said:
pipestem said:
That sounds like a lot less room to dissipate heat.
It sounds like the same amount of room. These batteries will not dissipate more heat unless they have more internal resistance. Likely they have less because that's the direction you need to move with technology.

But there are many, many things that can be done to reduce the capacity loss of these batteries. Unfortunately, some of those things require a trade-off of capacity to achieve them. Other changes can be made by putting additives into the electrolyte. Unfortunately, Nissan did not take my advice to hire Dr. Jeff Dahn (inventor of NMC chemistry), who is on the forefront of greatly improving the issue of capacity fade in Li-ion batteries. Instead, they did not pursue him and Tesla has tied him up in a five-year exclusive agreement. Within the first year, Dahn came up with improvements which reduced the capacity fade in Tesla's batteries by more than half.
pipestem said:
Do we have any official references on specifics of battery composition and changes over the years. The only thing I found was that message board post from a Nissan employee saying something like replacement batteries would have the improved composition, but no specifics. What do we really know with citations?
We know that Nissan has moved from LMO chemistry to NMC chemistry, just like Chevrolet did with the Volt. Search the forum for LMO or NMC to learn more.

Thanks. I'm not questioning the difference between LMO an NMC, there is plenty of information about that. I am questioning if anyone has original source material from Nissan saying the original batteries were LMO, or they did exactly something to make that Lizzard, or they now use NMC., performance characteristics, etc...., or some independent technical evaluation. Something like an SAE or JSAE report, or a Nissan technical bulletin, anything worthy of a citation and peer review. I like those kinds of things. Cheers.

Back