2017 MY Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
GetOffYourGas said:
LeftieBiker said:
That will surprise the people who have actually ordered Bolts to be built in the next few weeks.

True in pockets of the US and Europe, the Bolt will slowly become available. World wide, Nissan still sells plenty of Leafs in areas that will not get competition for almost a year (if not more). So it looks to me like they are milking their current design in those markets, while taking a little extra time on Leaf 2.0. I hope this means that they realized they have to meet or beat the Bolt/Model III with the Leaf 2.0, even if they take a while to get there. A 40kWh / 150-mile Leaf will not cut it in 2018.

Based on recent sales and pricing of the 30kwh leaf, if they can sell the 40kwh for ~$22k out the door, it will do just fine! Not everyone needs a 200-mile EV, and a 150-mile leaf is actually fine for long distance traveling for those with young kids or small bladders.

Fair enough. I'm coming around to the business case of a ~$20k / ~125+mile BEV. They may actually be able to sell more units of these than GM can the Bolt. Who knows.

It won't do for me, at least any better than my current $23k (new, after incentives) / 73-mile 2012 Leaf. Unless/until DCQC exists within 125 miles of me (it doesn't today). I just don't do more than 2-3 trips/year between 73 and 125 miles. But I do plenty that are 250-350 miles. And there are DCQC within 150 miles, along those routes. I try not to get too hung up on my own needs/desires but let's be honest - it's impossible not to.

A 150 mile Leaf is what I would call a reasonable commuter car. Right now the Leaf is a semi-reasonable commuter car. It's good only for when you know exactly how many miles you're going to have to drive, but anything outside of that realm is challenging. So I get 60-65 miles range when driving 45 miles with my Leaf, brand new it would be 80 or whatever. 20 miles each way for my commute means 40 miles, with a cushion of 20 miles. That's OK, it leaves me with an extra 10-15 miles of errands I can run, but that's about it. 10-15 miles isn't much, honestly for spontaneous travel. That's the big problem, is that it takes any possible spontaneity out of your day. If work decides I need to drive to another town 2 hours away because of an equipment failure, I will first have to drive home, then get in my ICE car and drive out there. Pretty much a PITA. With 150 mile range, I could actually accomplish that, assuming there was a place to plug in at my destination.

So I think a 150 mile range Leaf would still have a place, but only if the price point is substantially less than the Bolt. If it's only a few thousand less, I think they'll have few takers beyond those who are scared of the Chevy brand name.

Durandal said:
I think a 150 mile range Leaf would still have a place, but only if the price point is substantially less than the Bolt. If it's only a few thousand less, I think they'll have few takers beyond those who are scared of the Chevy brand name.
I think you make an excellent point when you add price into the discussion. Some manufacturers, and many posters on this site, approach the question as if cutting edge capabilities is the only answer. For most of us, useful capabilities at a modest price is the real point. I will never own a Tesla S or even a BMW i3, even though I might like to. I own an S30 Leaf. The OTD price was less than half that of a Bolt, and it does what I need it to do. A 240 mile EV does not drive everything else out of the market. Now a 240 mile EV at $20,000....................

LeftieBiker said:
You aren't addressing the current 107 mile Leaf (probably more like 100 miles for the S30.)

in bad weather, I am getting 90 miles. in Winter weather (normalized) its like 100. In Summer it will be a breeze to do 120.

I realistically want a "weekend" car. 150ish miles is enough. I'd rather support the inevitable public charging network over spending thousands for battery I might use a few times a year.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I realistically want a "weekend" car. 150ish miles is enough. I'd rather support the inevitable public charging network over spending thousands for battery I might use a few times a year.
So is that 40 kWh? 45 kWh? Probably 40 with aero improvements does it. The only benefit of a 60 kWh is longevity - having the 150 miles for more years. Not an issue for leases but (hopefully) it will eventually make financial sense to buy EVs

DaveinOlyWA said:

I feel almost the same way. Except that here in Upstate NY, the public charging network is anything but "inevitable". If the network was robust, and where I need it, then 150 miles would do fine. But it's not now, and possibly never will be.

I will be looking for a 50+kWh battery with 200+ miles of range for my next EV. It will work for me when new. The question is, as the battery degrades, will the public charging networks fill in enough to compensate? One might hope, but it's hardly guaranteed.

Obviously conditions are very different in the PNW.

TomT said:
seven year recycle rate... What the hell is wrong with Nissan?! One wonders if we will actually see a model 3 before we see a new Leaf... ;)

RegGuheert said:
So the main change is they eliminated the 24-kWh battery from the S trim level? If that's it, they can expect to sell very few MY2017 LEAFs.

You might well ask; "What the hell is wrong with us?" that we expect auto manufacturers to completely redesign a car every two years. Can't you see that this is one of the main factors keeping the cost of new cars so high? Fer cryin' out loud give them a chance to amortise their tooling costs.
I would bet money that the vast majority of folks clamoring for the 200 mile range rarely drive more than forty miles a day. The advertisers have made them think that they need a 200 mile range, and they have swallowed the bait.

rmay635703 said:
It's because trump won, they likely assume that the bolt will huh Cali and be a compliance car for a long time.

This likely has nothing to do with the outcome of the election. Such marketing/design/manufacturing decisions are made at least a year in advance, when no one had any idea who would be our next president.

craig said:
TomT said:
seven year recycle rate... What the hell is wrong with Nissan?! One wonders if we will actually see a model 3 before we see a new Leaf... ;)

RegGuheert said:
So the main change is they eliminated the 24-kWh battery from the S trim level? If that's it, they can expect to sell very few MY2017 LEAFs.
You might well ask; "What the hell is wrong with us?" that we expect auto manufacturers to completely redesign a car every two years. Can't you see that this is one of the main factors keeping the cost of new cars so high? Fer cryin' out loud give them a chance to amortise their tooling costs.
I would bet money that the vast majority of folks clamoring for the 200 mile range rarely drive more than forty miles a day. The advertisers have made them think that they need a 200 mile range, and they have swallowed the bait.

Our 2011 with 10 bars currently would barely go 40 miles in our snowy cold temps. We can't get to the airport and back (50 mile round trip) without a charging session. Over the summer we hit LBW several miles from home under ideal conditions.

200 mile range really means about 120 miles guaranteed year round with a modest amount of degradation. Our next car will likely be a hybrid or a PHEV unless we can get a used model 3 at that point. Our Leaf makes a great commuter car for my 15 mile round trip, but I bike almost exclusively now. It also makes a great "grocery getter" for my stay-at-home wife, but we cannot be without a gasser as a backup. When our '04 Focus dies it will likely be replaced by a used Prius or similar. When the Leaf dies it will likely not be replaced. Only a Tesla EV has the promise of range and charging network to cover our needs without a backup gasser.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I could have bought out my lease for about $17,600 and keep in mind; lease incentives are not quite as good as purchase incentives if you qualify for the whole $7500 fed tax credit
That was your 2013 S??? Do you mean that was the contract residual, or that was as low as NMAC would go on a buy out? The residual on my 2013 SV was about $18K, but NMAC offered me the vehicle for somewhat above $7K.

jhm614 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
So is that 40 kWh? 45 kWh? Probably 40 with aero improvements does it. The only benefit of a 60 kWh is longevity - having the 150 miles for more years. Not an issue for leases but (hopefully) it will eventually make financial sense to buy EVs

well about 6½ years ago, I blogged that I would buy a LEAF when it had 36 kwh because I figured that would be my price/performance/convenience point for a long term commitment but that was before the reality of degradation so I have adjusted to 40ish. Maybe 40 if the price is compelling but likely closer to 45...

Dooglas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I could have bought out my lease for about $17,600 and keep in mind; lease incentives are not quite as good as purchase incentives if you qualify for the whole $7500 fed tax credit
That was your 2013 S??? Do you mean that was the contract residual, or that was as low as NMAC would go on a buy out? The residual on my 2013 SV was about $18K, but NMAC offered me the vehicle for somewhat above $7K.

no, I mean my 2016 S30. I turned down an offer to buy my 2013 for $5800. The residual on the 2013 was just over $12,000

2016 payoff.jpg

This was my payoff option which expired the day before my first lease payment. My lease was a zero drive off that included a $149.75 overpayment on registration fees from the dealer so my real out of pocket expense would have been $17,588.82

Can someone tell me if the heated steering wheel is still available on the 17 leaf? The Nissan page mentions it as available but none of the trim levels show it as an option. If it is available, on what trim levels and is it easy to find in dealer inventory?
Thanks!

Nfuzzy said:
Can someone tell me if the heated steering wheel is still available on the 17 leaf? The Nissan page mentions it as available but none of the trim levels show it as an option. If it is available, on what trim levels and is it easy to find in dealer inventory?
Thanks!

As I understand it, the S doesn't have the heated wheel any more, but the other two trims (SV and SL) have it standard, along with heated front seats. The SL is now the only one with heated back seats.

So does the S still have heated front seats, at least???

LeftieBiker said:
Nfuzzy said:
Thanks!

As I understand it, the S doesn't have the heated wheel any more, but the other two trims (SV and SL) have it standard, along with heated front seats. The SL is now the only one with heated back seats.

So does the S still have heated front seats, at least???
yes

Aha! Ok, found it on the leaf site after all. Heated steering wheel standard on sv and sl. I still don't understand why they removed features from the s and raised the sticker price all while offering deep discounts off msrp. 15k off msrp seems pretty easy to come by, can you imagine how many more they would sell if they just listed them at 19995 to start with!

Back