Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2012 Leaf has 53,xxx miles on it and 6 DAYS left under warranty. My LeafSpy shows 188 GIDS after a charge to 100% & 14.6 kWh Remaining, and 66.9% (battery capacity).

It dropped the first three bars so long ago, I thought for sure it would have dropped the fourth bar by now.

Am I eligible for a Pack replacement under warranty?

If not, is it just that fourth bar that needs to drop?

Splittinglanes said:
...Am I eligible for a Pack replacement under warranty?

No, you are not. That fourth bar has to drop. You could always try driving it for the next 4 days straight, except for stops to QC. :D

davewill said:
Splittinglanes said:
...Am I eligible for a Pack replacement under warranty?

No, you are not. That fourth bar has to drop. You could always try driving it for the next 4 days straight, except for stops to QC. :D

Interesting. I found this thread that says Nissan is doing partial credits (after warranty expires):

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22820

I'm going to contact my local dealer and see what they have to say

Splittinglanes said:
Interesting. I found this thread that says Nissan is doing partial credits (after warranty expires):
Good luck and let us know how it goes. Being so close, you "might" get it replaced under warranty. Some have reported this even after the 5-year or 60,000 mi limit. Others have reported NO give on those limits, while some have reported a $2000 cost instead of the $6500 cost.

Edit: Most people have reported no battery degradation or dropped bars during the winter months. I see zero change in my AHr in LeafSpy from Nov to Mar. I've even changed my charging pattern to close to 100% just so I can blast the heat and not worry about it. :lol:

I surprisingly just dropped my second capacity bar last week at 4 years 4 months with 29,000 miles in San Jose, CA. I expected to lose it around last August or September in the heat of summer. Not so, it dropped on a fairly cold day for northern CA. It still meets all of my needs.

JPWhite said:
There's a dude in Norway who buys used LEAF's from my local dealer. He does some repairs to the units he imports from the US himself. Last I heard he was unsuccessful making the 30kWH battery work in older LEAF's. Nissan claim it's not feasible. If you can find a way you'll be able to make some bank upgrading older LEAF's :)
Hmmmm, I like a challenge. Need to get my hands on a 30kWh battery... Have a local 2011 3-bar-loser that I want to upgrade anyway, although it is tempting to install 30kWh in my own 2011 Leaf...

Cor said:
Hmmmm, I like a challenge. Need to get my hands on a 30kWh battery... Have a local 2011 3-bar-loser that I want to upgrade anyway, although it is tempting to install 30kWh in my own 2011 Leaf...

go for it!

Reddy said:
Splittinglanes said:
Good luck and let us know how it goes. Being so close, you "might" get it replaced under warranty. Some have reported this even after the 5-year or 60,000 mi limit. Others have reported NO give on those limits, while some have reported a $2000 cost instead of the $6500 cost.

Edit: Most people have reported no battery degradation or dropped bars during the winter months. I see zero change in my AHr in LeafSpy from Nov to Mar. I've even changed my charging pattern to close to 100% just so I can blast the heat and not worry about it. :lol:

I talked to the dealer I'm using (not the one I purchased the Leaf from), and they suggested quick charging like user davewill suggested. They said if it did drop after the warranty expired, we'd still send the paperwork in to Nissan, as they might cover it in whole or partial, (and stood a good chance) since I'm the original owner.

It's inspiring that Becky50 lost a capacity bar in San Jose weather (where I am) just recently. I'm so close, I hope I lose that fourth capacity bar in the next 6 days.

I drove around last night looking at the holiday lights & stopped for a QC. :D

Reddy said:

My 2012 received a new battery on Nov. 3 this year. The Ahr has already dropped from 66.14 to 64.32. Hx has dropped to 96.63%. Only been slightly over a month and additional 400 miles. At this rate I'll be back to an "8 bar" in a little over a year - and 5000 miles. Seems alarming, but have no reference for comparison.

Marktm said:
Reddy said:

My 2012 received a new battery on Nov. 3 this year. The Ahr has already dropped from 66.14 to 64.32. Hx has dropped to 96.63%. Only been slightly over a month and additional 400 miles. At this rate I'll be back to an "8 bar" in a little over a year - and 5000 miles. Seems alarming, but have no reference for comparison.

Interesting. I've had my new battery for less than a week in my 2011. It started at 63 Ah but jumped to 66.14 Ah, the exact same Ah as yours. Hx has dropped to 98.17 and the Ah is now down to 65.46 Ah.

JPWhite said:
Marktm said:
Reddy said:

Interesting. I've had my new battery for less than a week in my 2011. It started at 63 Ah but jumped to 66.14 Ah, the exact same Ah as yours. Hx has dropped to 98.17 and the Ah is now down to 65.46 Ah.

Got home tonight and noticed the Ah is back up to 66.1414 Ah and Hx has increased to 98.8.

Looks like the battery and BMS need to get to know each other before reliable capacity can be established. Some folks report Hx of over 100%, let's hope mine keeps on increasing until it reaches its post install max capacity.

JPWhite said:
JPWhite said:
Marktm said:

Got home tonight and noticed the Ah is back up to 66.1414 Ah and Hx has increased to 98.8.

Looks like the battery and BMS need to get to know each other before reliable capacity can be established. Some folks report Hx of over 100%, let's hope mine keeps on increasing until it reaches its post install max capacity.
I can *confirm* that 66.14 is some sort of "magic number" that Nissan programmed in the BMS.
Both new 24kWh batteries that I have seen, starts with their capacity at 66.14 Ah and I doubt that it is an accurate number for all batteries, it seems that as long as the capacity is not significantly lower, the BMS will show this number.
The last I saw this was with a brand new 2016 installed battery, but also the car that I picked up this summer (of 2016) with a warranty replacement battery from 2015 and several thousand miles on it, still showed 66.14Ah. The neighbor that I installed the modules into his 2011 Leaf (and so his BMS had to re-learn the capacity) after several months of driving had only come back up to 62Ah if I remember right.
So yeah, don't give too much credit to the 66.14 number, it appears to be some kind of default for the new packs.

Cor said:
JPWhite said:
JPWhite said:

I can *confirm* that 66.14 is some sort of "magic number" that Nissan programmed in the BMS.
Both new 24kWh batteries that I have seen, starts with their capacity at 66.14 Ah and I doubt that it is an accurate number for all batteries, it seems that as long as the capacity is not significantly lower, the BMS will show this number.
The last I saw this was with a brand new 2016 installed battery, but also the car that I picked up this summer (of 2016) with a warranty replacement battery from 2015 and several thousand miles on it, still showed 66.14Ah. The neighbor that I installed the modules into his 2011 Leaf (and so his BMS had to re-learn the capacity) after several months of driving had only come back up to 62Ah if I remember right.
So yeah, don't give too much credit to the 66.14 number, it appears to be some kind of default for the new packs.

I was at 67.20 ahr on my 2013 for the first 9 -10 months or so

DaveinOlyWA said:

Did the 2013 LEAF's get the same firmware update the 2011/12's did? I seem to remember new firmware was required as part of a new battery pack install under warranty. Your 2013 (pre firmware update) maybe have been telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

It seems that 66.1414 is some sort of magic number. The real Ah rating maybe more. Maybe Nissan snuck some extra capacity in the lizard packs to feign better durability for the first year or two by hiding reserve capacity (through the firmware update). Somethings weird about at least 3 LEAF's we know of in this thread having exactly a 66.1414 Ah rating. Nissans official capacity for the LEAF 24kWH pack is 66.2 Ah. Coincidence? I think not.

Another (less conspiratorial) explanation is that Nissan want to hide the inevitable variance in battery capacity by exceeding 66.2 Ah and limiting the BMS to reporting that exact capacity for all packs installed. That way no one feels they were gypped because they didn't get the 67.2 Ah pack their friend did.

My Hx is up to 99.08 now, keeps improving :)

I've got the data from LEafSPyPro in Dropbox. I'll have to chart Ah and Hx over the new batteries lifetime after say one month of use to see how it varies/trends.

JPWhite said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Did the 2013 LEAF's get the same firmware update the 2011/12's did? I seem to remember new firmware was required as part of a new battery pack install under warranty. Your 2013 (pre firmware update) maybe have been telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

It seems that 66.1414 is some sort of magic number. The real Ah rating maybe more. Maybe Nissan snuck some extra capacity in the lizard packs to feign better durability for the first year or two by hiding reserve capacity (through the firmware update). Somethings weird about at least 3 LEAF's we know of in this thread having exactly a 66.1414 Ah rating. Nissans official capacity for the LEAF 24kWH pack is 66.2 Ah. Coincidence? I think not.

Another (less conspiratorial) explanation is that Nissan want to hide the inevitable variance in battery capacity by exceeding 66.2 Ah and limiting the BMS to reporting that exact capacity for all packs installed. That way no one feels they were gypped because they didn't get the 67.2 Ah pack their friend did.

My Hx is up to 99.08 now, keeps improving :)

I've got the data from LEafSPyPro in Dropbox. I'll have to chart Ah and Hx over the new batteries lifetime after say one month of use to see how it varies/trends.
Maybe the 2013 has a different BMS version than the Lizard packs.
Both 2015 and 2016 that I noticed this magic number should have been the lizard packs and that BMS is supposed to also charge the cells a sliver higher in voltage than the older BMS'es did.
So, the limit to 66.14 may have been implemented in a later rev of the BMS and that might explain why the 2013 shows 67Ah.

Hello from Germany,
does somebody knows the part number of the installation kit for the old Japan Leafs 2011-2013 ? In Austria a Leaf owner could buy a 30 kWh battery from a dealer, but the connections didn't fit.
Here is a link to some pictures, part 1, part2.
Or is it maybe possible that there is no installation kit in Europe yet because there is almost no aging in European Leaf. But than it should be possible to buy the installation kit from a US dealer.
regards and thank you for your help

LEAFgerm said:
Hello from Germany,
does somebody knows the part number of the installation kit for the old Japan Leafs 2011-2013 ? In Austria a Leaf owner could buy a 30 kWh battery from a dealer, but the connections didn't fit.
Here is a link to some pictures, part 1, part2.
Or is it maybe possible that there is no installation kit in Europe yet because there is almost no aging in European Leaf. But than it should be possible to buy the installation kit from a US dealer.
regards and thank you for your help

The Nissan document and part numbers can be found at
https://jpwhitenissanleaf.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/batteryquote.jpg

There are several parts you will need including a new HV disconnect switch.

JPWhite said:

I too believe there is some "extra capacity" hidden in the lizard packs. This is the only explanation for why I was "stuck" @66.14 Ahr for months...and when it started to drop, it dropped like a rock (although somewhat expected during the summer months). While the cold weather has slowed the decline, the question is: what will happen come Spring? Will I get any "bump" in capacity with more cycling/charging as some have reported?

Back