Why is the LEAF pulling away from the Volt?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
The sample size is SO small for the Leaf and Volt (and even the Prius) that one can not really draw any solid conclusions from it. My statistics professor would point to this as an example of "statistically flawed" results...

lorenfb said:
"63 TrueDelta members own a 2013 Chevrolet Volt.

http://www.truedelta.com/blog/?p=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sample sizes (draft from Saturday, March 31st, 2007 when the site was much smaller)

Currently TrueDelta publicly posts Vehicle Reliability Survey results when there have been responses for at least 20 vehicles owned for at least 80 total months. In comparison, Consumer Reports’ minimum sample is 100 vehicles, with no minimum number of months of ownership. One hundred sounds a lot more impressive than 20. And they do love to brag about the size of their sample. But 20 is far more sufficient for what we’re doing than 100 is for what they do.

People often wonder how a relatively small sample can be used to make a factual statement about an entire, large population. When a few hundred thousand of a certain model are sold, how can a sample of 20, or even 2,000, be sufficient to infer that, say, this model will average 0.8 repair trips per year?

Statisticians have found that the size of population has nothing to do with it when the population is large. Instead, only two things matter: how much does the attribute being measured vary from vehicle to vehicle, and how many vehicles are sampled? By entering the measured “variance” and the sample size into an equation, it is possible to calculate confidence intervals, the range within which the results of repeated tests should fall. TrueDelta posts 90 percent confidence intervals. If the entire population was surveyed, the result would have a nine out of ten shot of falling within the reported confidence interval.

Clearly, with confidence intervals narrower is better. Confidence intervals can be reduced in two ways. You can select a statistic with relatively low variation. (How TrueDelta has done this will be the subject of a later blog entry.) Or you can increase the sample size.

Then there is the matter of how narrow the confidence intervals need to be. We wouldn’t suggest putting too much emphasis on differences of just one or two tenths of a repair trip per year. So while the confidence intervals of roughly plus-or-minus 0.3 repair trips per year that we’ve been finding with 20 to 30 responses aren’t ideal, they’re not so large as to make the results worthless. Especially not when some models have been averaging about 0.3 repair trips per year, while others have been averaging around 1.0. We wouldn’t make much of the difference between 0.3 and 0.5, or that between 0.8 and 1.0. But between 0.3 and 1.0? Certainly.

The way Consumer Reports reports results requires far narrower confidence intervals. They ask people to only report problems they “considered serious.” This yields an average of only about 0.16 serious problems per vehicle for the latest well-represented model year (2006 currently). This is roughly one quarter the average number of repair trips per year that TrueDelta has been reporting. They then label a model “worse than average” when it’s 20 percent below this number, or around 0.19 serious problems per vehicle. And the dreaded ”much worse than average” kicks in at 45 percent below, around 0.23 serious problems per vehicle. Since a few hundredths of a serious problem per vehicle can make all the difference between a good dot and a bad one, Consumer Reports should have confidence intervals of, at most, a couple hundredths serious problems per vehicle.

Have they achieved this worthy goal? It’s not easy to say, since they’ve never reported confidence intervals. But an inference is possible based on TrueDelta’s data. The confidence intervals they need are less than one tenth as wide as those we’ve been observing with a sample size in the 20s. Confidence interval breadth varies with the square root of the sample size. So a sample size of 100 (with a square root of ten) would yield confidence intervals half as wide as those yielded by a sample size of 25 (with a square root of five). Let’s even assume that for many models they have a sample size of 400. This would make their confidence intervals about one-fourth as wide as TrueDelta’s. For confidence one-tenth as wide as ours they would need a minimum sample size around 2,000…which they don’t have for more than a few models.

I’d like to get TrueDelta’s confidence intervals down to about 0.1 repair trips per year. The current sample sizes are not large enough for this, but TrueDelta is much closer to achieving this goal than Consumer Reports is to obtaining the sample sizes it needs given the way it reports its statistics. Put another way, anyone who trusts the results published by Consumer Reports should have no sample-size-related issues with TrueDelta’s results.

Note: This is an initial draft. I’ll have this entry reviewed by others with more statistical expertise than I possess, and will be revising it based on their suggestions.

another point of confusion people have when looking at truedelta is the lovely popup text over the reliability data

If you hover over the 2010 Prius you'll see 223 Prii, xx.x months, xxxxx miles

If you go to the repair history page you'll see

454 TrueDelta members own a 2010 Toyota Prius. 123 of these members (27.1%) have reported repairs for their car. A total of 244 repairs to 2010 Toyota Prii--an average of 0.5 per vehicle--have been reported.

So the tooltip that says 223 Prii is the number of cars that saw repairs not the total number of cars that reported the repair history in the confusing mix of numbers we have

454 cars reported
244 repairs reported?
223 cars that needed repairs?
123 members with one of the cars listed above?

look at the site casually and you might think that second lowest number is the number of cars that data was collected about when in fact the number is much higher.

I'm not going to make my own graphics for this discussion or spend hours scouring dozens of pages to make it clear how many cars per model year were have data collected. I'm just going to make simple comparisons that are accurate and valid. If you want to try to invalidate them you need to really understand the data before replying.

TomT said:
I think it is far more a matter of ROI than ability...

DaveinOlyWA said:
nothing but assumptions and I will make another assumption in that your assumption is completely wrong. if BEV's were so easy to build, then everyone would have one.

not sure I can accept the substitution of "ROI" for "greed"

DaveinOlyWA said:
TomT said:
I think it is far more a matter of ROI than ability...

DaveinOlyWA said:
nothing but assumptions and I will make another assumption in that your assumption is completely wrong. if BEV's were so easy to build, then everyone would have one.

not sure I can accept the substitution of "ROI" for "greed"

It's those evil corporations again, right Dave?

Loren; if we maintain the spirit of the conversation then we can imply that either

you are correct in your assumption that I consider major corporations to be self-centered greedy pigs

or they actually don't have the ability to create a quality EV

or Nissan is simply over the top with their contributions to society and the environment.

not counting the last one, the real truth is likely a combination these.

dhanson865 said:
TomT said:
The sample size is SO small for the Leaf and Volt (and even the Prius) that one can not really draw any solid conclusions from it. My statistics professor would point to this as an example of "statistically flawed" results...

lorenfb said:
"63 TrueDelta members own a 2013 Chevrolet Volt.

http://www.truedelta.com/blog/?p=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sample sizes (draft from Saturday, March 31st, 2007 when the site was much smaller)

Currently TrueDelta publicly posts Vehicle Reliability Survey results when there have been responses for at least 20 vehicles owned for at least 80 total months. In comparison, Consumer Reports’ minimum sample is 100 vehicles, with no minimum number of months of ownership. One hundred sounds a lot more impressive than 20. And they do love to brag about the size of their sample. But 20 is far more sufficient for what we’re doing than 100 is for what they do.

People often wonder how a relatively small sample can be used to make a factual statement about an entire, large population. When a few hundred thousand of a certain model are sold, how can a sample of 20, or even 2,000, be sufficient to infer that, say, this model will average 0.8 repair trips per year?

Statisticians have found that the size of population has nothing to do with it when the population is large. Instead, only two things matter: how much does the attribute being measured vary from vehicle to vehicle, and how many vehicles are sampled? By entering the measured “variance” and the sample size into an equation, it is possible to calculate confidence intervals, the range within which the results of repeated tests should fall. TrueDelta posts 90 percent confidence intervals. If the entire population was surveyed, the result would have a nine out of ten shot of falling within the reported confidence interval.

Clearly, with confidence intervals narrower is better. Confidence intervals can be reduced in two ways. You can select a statistic with relatively low variation. (How TrueDelta has done this will be the subject of a later blog entry.) Or you can increase the sample size.

Then there is the matter of how narrow the confidence intervals need to be. We wouldn’t suggest putting too much emphasis on differences of just one or two tenths of a repair trip per year. So while the confidence intervals of roughly plus-or-minus 0.3 repair trips per year that we’ve been finding with 20 to 30 responses aren’t ideal, they’re not so large as to make the results worthless. Especially not when some models have been averaging about 0.3 repair trips per year, while others have been averaging around 1.0. We wouldn’t make much of the difference between 0.3 and 0.5, or that between 0.8 and 1.0. But between 0.3 and 1.0? Certainly.

The way Consumer Reports reports results requires far narrower confidence intervals. They ask people to only report problems they “considered serious.” This yields an average of only about 0.16 serious problems per vehicle for the latest well-represented model year (2006 currently). This is roughly one quarter the average number of repair trips per year that TrueDelta has been reporting. They then label a model “worse than average” when it’s 20 percent below this number, or around 0.19 serious problems per vehicle. And the dreaded ”much worse than average” kicks in at 45 percent below, around 0.23 serious problems per vehicle. Since a few hundredths of a serious problem per vehicle can make all the difference between a good dot and a bad one, Consumer Reports should have confidence intervals of, at most, a couple hundredths serious problems per vehicle.

Have they achieved this worthy goal? It’s not easy to say, since they’ve never reported confidence intervals. But an inference is possible based on TrueDelta’s data. The confidence intervals they need are less than one tenth as wide as those we’ve been observing with a sample size in the 20s. Confidence interval breadth varies with the square root of the sample size. So a sample size of 100 (with a square root of ten) would yield confidence intervals half as wide as those yielded by a sample size of 25 (with a square root of five). Let’s even assume that for many models they have a sample size of 400. This would make their confidence intervals about one-fourth as wide as TrueDelta’s. For confidence one-tenth as wide as ours they would need a minimum sample size around 2,000…which they don’t have for more than a few models.

I’d like to get TrueDelta’s confidence intervals down to about 0.1 repair trips per year. The current sample sizes are not large enough for this, but TrueDelta is much closer to achieving this goal than Consumer Reports is to obtaining the sample sizes it needs given the way it reports its statistics. Put another way, anyone who trusts the results published by Consumer Reports should have no sample-size-related issues with TrueDelta’s results.

Note: This is an initial draft. I’ll have this entry reviewed by others with more statistical expertise than I possess, and will be revising it based on their suggestions.

Statistically it can be shown that given a very small sample size one extrapolate to its population meaningful
data with a high confidence level. But given the very small sample size (<100) being presented when
comparing the Volt & Leaf, to many it's more meaningful to look below the statistical analysis and
analyze the actual data, e.g. the type of failures of each vehicle. This especially true when one finds
that one of the vehicles has major problems affecting its drive-ability versus minor problems such
as a loose chrome strip, i.e. all failures should not be treated as equal. So since the failure data are
available and the data points are not extensive, a basic data review on a per car basis seems more
appropriate to some than using a statistical analysis on such a very small sample size.

lorenfb said:
Statistically it can be shown that given a very small sample size one extrapolate to its population meaningful
data with a high confidence level.
The most important thing is the sample should be randomly selected (and normalized). Otherwise it is very unreliable.

As an internet/email survey with no normalization whatsoever (that I'm aware of) - TrueDelta in my mind has no statistical significance. Just another "anectodal" reference - just like the polls we run here at MNL.

edatoakrun said:
Not sure I believe this report:
http://europe.autonews.com/article/20140721/ANE/307259991/opel-will-discontinue-weak-selling-ampera-sources-say" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since I don't see how GM could expect to recoup V-2 development costs with sales limited to the North American market.
Just another reflection of GM's continuing incompetence.
Most of the other producers of vehicles in particular Ford, Nissan, and Volkswagen have recognized that cost effective vehicle production must be done on a global basis.
Ford terminated the $ wasting Mercury brand.
But GM is trying to salvage Opel and Vauxhall and is going to stop selling Chevrolet in Europe after 2016. :shock:
Complete incompetence :( :cry:

Yes production does need to be close to where you sell a significant % of the vehicle.
Big part of why Volkswagen built plant in Chattanooga.
And has decided to invest $600 million to produce new crossover in Chattanooga starting in 2016.
And it is the new modular approach that Volkswagen is using on all new vehicles, so at some point there likely will be an electric version. :D

GM should scrap Opel and Vauxhall brands and build in Europe some of what Chevrolets, Buicks, and Cadillac sell in significant #s in Europe.

manitou820 said:
... If your electric car is going to be your second vehicle, the Leaf makes much more sense in my opinion. ...

Slow1 said:
My own experience matches this conclusion. The Leaf is our "second car" - we have 4 kids so we couldn't consider it our primary. However, ironically, the second car actually gets more use in daily driving (dropping off one subset of kids, running errands during school time, whatever). ...
Please quit using the erroneous terminology of the LEAF being the "second" car.
The vehicle that sees the most mileage is the "first" or primary car.

Yes, for most people it will be a two vehicle household.
But > 90% of the time the short range electric vehicle is the "first" or primary car.

TimLee said:
manitou820 said:
... If your electric car is going to be your second vehicle, the Leaf makes much more sense in my opinion. ...

Slow1 said:
My own experience matches this conclusion. The Leaf is our "second car" - we have 4 kids so we couldn't consider it our primary. However, ironically, the second car actually gets more use in daily driving (dropping off one subset of kids, running errands during school time, whatever). ...
Please quit using the erroneous terminology of the LEAF being the "second" car.
The vehicle that sees the most mileage is the "first" or primary car.

Yes, for most people it will be a two vehicle household.
But > 90% of the time the short range electric vehicle is the "first" or primary car.

People are focused on what the car cannot do. Any car that cannot perform every conceivable trip at any time without notice is considered a second car.. unless you are like me and don't own another car!

evnow said:
lorenfb said:
data with a high confidence level.
The most important thing is the sample should be randomly selected (and normalized). Otherwise it is very unreliable.

As an internet/email survey with no normalization whatsoever (that I'm aware of) - TrueDelta in my mind has no statistical significance. Just another "anectodal" reference - just like the polls we run here at MNL.

Truedelta - survey sourced open data
Consumer Reports - survey sourced heavily obscured data
Manufacturers - hidden data we can't access at all

who do you suggest we consult for repair data that would be better than truedelta?

johnrhansen said:
People are focused on what the car cannot do. Any car that cannot perform every conceivable trip at any time without notice is considered a second car.. unless you are like me and don't own another car!
That makes little sense. People use "primary"/"First" to mean the one they use the most - which would be the EV. The gasser becomes a backup / long distance / trip car.

Even this is weird - since most families have 2 cars. Both of them are "primary" cars - used by different people in the family. This is certainly the case with almost every one I know. Some people of course have additional "sports" cars that get used once in a while.

I guess an EV is a primary second car, as opposed to your secondary first car.

'First' is the car you would buy first, if you were to only buy one. 'Primary' is the one you'd use the most if you bought more.

TimLee said:
But GM is trying to salvage Opel and Vauxhall and is going to stop selling Chevrolet in Europe after 2016. :shock:
Complete incompetence :( :cry:

GM should scrap Opel and Vauxhall brands and build in Europe some of what Chevrolets, Buicks, and Cadillac sell in significant #s in Europe.

Aside from a few models like the Cruze and the Aveo (Sonic) and a few Corvette and Camaro sales, Chevrolet has not been a successful brand in Europe since probably the 1970's or 1980's. I like the Cruze and Aveo/Sonic, but they face stiff competition from other European brands, including Opel itself.

Plus I think Europeans associate Chevrolet with big V-8's and RWD, not the mostly Daewoo-engineered FWD stuff that passed for a "Chevy" over there in recent years. No different than Americans associating Mercedes with luxury and performance, even though they are the default taxi brand in German cities with woefully slow Diesel engines.

Opel wasn't that successful here either, and as a brand it lasted longer, perhaps too long, as by the 1980's the brand was basically selling Isuzu made cars here. (Remember the stupidly-named "Buick-Opel?" It's an Isuzu Gemini/I-Mark, which shares its heritage with the Chevette.) But Opel is a popular brand in Europe (far more than Chevy) and GM would be crazy to do away with the brand.

The one I can't figure out is why there is a Vauxhall brand at all. AFAIK, they are little more than Opels with the steering wheel on the "wrong" side of the car :lol: but is sold only in the UK. Other RHD markets like the Republic of Ireland get Opel-badged cars.

donald said:
I guess an EV is a primary second car, as opposed to your secondary first car.

'First' is the car you would buy first, if you were to only buy one. 'Primary' is the one you'd use the most if you bought more.
LOL ;)

But if you were serious- it made little sense as a commonly understood term.

Well, I think EVs pose a paradigm shift for those sorts of terms. 'In the old days' we'd have a primary mundane car for day-to-day running for all the general tasks, and the 'second cars' would have limited functionality, so would do less miles, for fun or utility, like a sports car or a family 'bus'.

Those terms stop meaning anything when you have an EV that excels at most of your miles in the run-a-day commuting/shopping, but you think again for other jobs for it.

For me, my EV is 'one of my cars/one of my fleet', and that is all to say.

donald said:
Well, I think EVs pose a paradigm shift for those sorts of terms. 'In the old days' we'd have a primary mundane car for day-to-day running for all the general tasks, and the 'second cars' would have limited functionality, so would do less miles, for fun or utility, like a sports car or a family 'bus'.
If we go by this old definition, the daily commuter would be the first/primary car - with the ICE as the backup/long distance "second" car.

evnow said:
donald said:
If we go by this old definition, the daily commuter would be the first/primary car - with the ICE as the backup/long distance "second" car.
Possibly. But it is also reversed in that it is the EV with the 'limited functionality', which would have previosuly been the characteristic of that 'second car' sports convertible, or whathaveyou.

The shift with EVs is that they are designed to perform the greater number of commuter miles, albeit within the 'limited functionality'. I think people might still think of the EV as 'a second car', for the functionality reason rather than the mileage reason.

donald said:
Possibly. But it is also reversed in that it is the EV with the 'limited functionality', which would have previosuly been the characteristic of that 'second car' sports convertible, or whathaveyou.

The shift with EVs is that they are designed to perform the greater number of commuter miles, albeit within the 'limited functionality'. I think people might still think of the EV as 'a second car', for the functionality reason rather than the mileage reason.
I don't see it that way. My ICE gets used at most once a month. Even though it (K2500 Suburban) has far more functionality, I can't see calling it my primary. I think it goes by which you get the most use from - which the Leaf wins hands down.

Back