Have Nissan UK lost the plot?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyCabbie

Maybe I'm just not getting this but I think Nissan UK have lost the plot - completely;

http://www.cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/nissan-trials-courtesy-bikes-instead-of-cars-for-leaf-owners/52538

So rather than provide another Leaf as a courtesy car when yours is in for service they're providing an electric bicycle! ha ha ha. So you drive 10 miles to the dealer and then get on the bicycle and ride home. What a cheapskate trick to pull. Why not provide another Leaf or failing that provide a petrol car and give £20 of free fuel to make up for the higher cost, but no "buying a Leaf is like becoming a vegetarian" says Nissan - could they come out with a more stereotypical nonsensical load of tripe if they tried? I mean, these EV users are all bearded, vegan, hippies right?

No wonder the Leaf release in the UK appears so badly managed, it seems they have fools at the top. Imagine this story getting picked up by the news channels/papers.

GrumpyCabbie said:
What a cheapskate trick to pull. Why not provide another Leaf or failing that provide a petrol car and give £20 of free fuel to make up for the higher cost, but no "buying a Leaf is like becoming a vegetarian" says Nissan - could they come out with a more stereotypical nonsensical load of tripe if they tried? I mean, these EV users are all bearded, vegan, hippies right?
I think you are misreading this.

They are trying out this idea - they aren't forcing people who don't want a dirty fossil fuel car to take one. If someone takes a bike back - more power to them.

I think the comparison to "becoming a vegetarian" is also, somewhat, apt. Did you know 99% of the vegetarians are not bearded, vegan, hippies ? I think he is trying to say - someone who gets a Leaf doesn't want to use a fossil fuel when the Leaf is at the dealer - just like vegetarians don't become meat eaters when they go to a restaurant.

Having the option of either a loaner electric bike or a loaner car would be really nice; however, the bike should not be the sole loaner option! I have an electric scooter, and it's great for its intended purpose. If I dropped my Leaf off at my delaer, I would have to have a car, not a bike, to get back to work given the distance and freeway in between! Since Nissan is just piloting this, I hope the customers at those dealers provide LOTS of feedback! ;)

If Nissan were to insist that the electric bike would be the only loaner option, then I would have to double check my calendar to see if it is April 1! :lol:

garygid said:
Actually, it appears that Nissan UK really DOES get the real EV necessities, ...
the dealers are all installing QC stations!
A BIG PLUS!

But NOT in the UK which is why I ask if Nissan UK have lost the plot.

If they DID provide a QC at all their dealers then all the better. UK Leaf owners are finding that the QC's at dealers are often not working (despite being informed by the Leafs satnav as being online. Also they are finding that the QC's are blocked off by non EV parked cars or even shut out of hours.

I think there is a big difference between the Leaf roll out in the US and that in the UK and then Nissan UK offer an electric bicycle (not an electric scooter) as a loan 'vehicle'.

GrumpyCabbie said:
I think there is a big difference between the Leaf roll out in the US and that in the UK and then Nissan UK offer an electric bicycle (not an electric scooter) as a loan 'vehicle'.
You've badly misread the article, the bikes are only for those who don't want to drive an ICE loaner. You also haven't read here very well if you think that access to dealer charging is any better in the US.

Back