Charging points installed in central Milton Keynes, UK

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeFurry

This linked PDF file shows the locations of a couple of dozen charging points that have been installed in central Milton Keynes, in Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom. These are Pod-Points, and will offer level 2 charging once fully wired up (a few are already live, the rest by the end of March, which is also when the LEAF launches in the UK). Around that time, Pod-Point will also launch their iPhone app, which will tell you remotely which charge points are currently available or in use (displaying live information), making it easy to locate an available one. It's also possible to see from the road if the points are in use, since they glow a different colour depending on usage and functioning status. I've heard rumours that some level 3 chargers may be on the way too, but no details.

Parking for EVs is to be free in these (as-yet unmarked) spaces, which are very near to the main shopping centre, however a subscription to a charging network is required to use the charging points. MK Council say that the charging is free too, but the reality is that a subscription to the network is £50 per year (though it also offers access to charge points in other cities including London).

Although the spaces are not currently reserved for EVs, MK Council are aware that this is desirable, and it is likely to happen in future... if there is demand. If you have an EV in the MK area, please do use these points whenever possible, and petition the council to reserve the spaces for EV use. Otherwise they'll always be occupied by fossil cars (they're in very desirable parking areas, and competition is high) and so won't be usable for charging, and the council will log the lack of usage and therefore assume EV users don't want them, and won't subsidise any more!

On a related topic, Milton Keynes council is also offering subsidies for home charge point installations, and for installations at local places of work. To find out more, please contact Milton Keynes Council. I have further detail on this, but I haven't yet received permission to reproduce it here - I'll add it if and when I can. But it's not a bad offer.

Hope this is of use to some people! :)

-Jef.

That is good to hear. I also see on the Pod-Point website they list other active chargers.
http://pod-point.co.uk/

A am a little unclear on if this use the J1772 standard level 2 or are more like the UK 16 and 13 amp chargers.

Do you know?

'Fraid not. The Pod-Point is available in either, and unless I happen to see one of them open or in use, I can't tell what they'll be. If and when I find out, I'll report back.

Back