I want to Increase the VSP sound level!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's right, I really like the space-age sound and think it is way too low.

I think it could be twice as loud and still not hear it in the cabin.

I'm a good tech... anyone have any ideas?

Bob

what is this VSP ? I DO hear a pleasant chime sound when in reverse but never any other time.

am I supposed to hear something any other time?

Yeah the sound of seizing bearings mixed with Darth Vader taking a continuous breath mixed with an electric mixer, up to something like 17MPH.

I unplugged mine. I just unlock the door, and then reach my hand out the window and press the button if I want to make cool sound effects (car will make the same panic noise when you attempt to lock the door with the key inside the car).

hmmm I do not think mine makes this sound. anyone have a recording of it ?

Its only on at low speeds, its kind of a mid-pitch wine. Mildly annoying actually. I wonder if we could change the sound for something more menacing, like the Hellcat or GT-R rev sounds.

Oh. Mine does make a hard to hear whine. I thought that was the motor! How do I turn it off I want to hear the difference?

nerys said:
Oh. Mine does make a hard to hear whine. I thought that was the motor! How do I turn it off I want to hear the difference?

There's a button in that button cluster on the left side of the steering wheel, it has some icon on it, but I htink you press it to disable it.

I've not had my Leaf for long, but wondered what the sound was. I should give a listen.

Doesn't bother me, whatever it is. I thought it was the "reverse binging" sound.

Probably a good idea so you don't run over people.

Vincerama said:
nerys said:

There's a button in that button cluster on the left side of the steering wheel, it has some icon on it, but I htink you press it to disable it.

That switch was discontinued with the 2012 model year. It's actually one of the features I'd hate to give up if I got rid of my 2011 for something else, even a new(er) LEAF - it's good for early morning stealth departures from the neighborhood (especially the backing out of the driveway part).

GreenPowerVideos said:
That's right, I really like the space-age sound and think it is way too low.

I think it could be twice as loud and still not hear it in the cabin.

I'm a good tech... anyone have any ideas?

Bob

Not sure what the impedence of the speaker is, but maybe a cheap car amplifier?

Has anyone thought about using the power that feeds that horn to power something else? Like maybe a relay driving a midi board or one of those sound chips like the ones Hallmark puts into greeting cards?

Just found this post... was looking for a way to turn off/unplug, anything to stop the VSP - I wanna go STEALTH.
Any suggestions? 2015 SV

However, my wife likes it... says its like driving a space ship! She may not even notice its gone if I can shut it off somehow

BooKittyLeaf said:
Just found this post... was looking for a way to turn off/unplug, anything to stop the VSP - I wanna go STEALTH.
Any suggestions? 2015 SV

However, my wife likes it... says its like driving a space ship! She may not even notice its gone if I can shut it off somehow

Did you buy your Leaf straight out? Or, are you leasing?

I'd worry that fiddling around internally may void your warranty. I have a '14 and I too dislike the VSP, but I wouldn't want to rip into it and mess something up, cut a wrong wire, have pay a fine when returning my lease, and or void my warranty.

All that to get rid of a little electronic whirring noise that shuts off above 17MPH, its not worth it. I don't hear it inside the car with the windows up. I only hear the backup chime.

BooKittyLeaf said:
Just found this post... was looking for a way to turn off/unplug, anything to stop the VSP - I wanna go STEALTH. Any suggestions? 2015 SV

See this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3296&start=290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GreenPowerVideos said:
That's right, I really like the space-age sound and think it is way too low. I think it could be twice as loud and still not hear it in the cabin.

Looking at the schematic, the output seems to be just a simple (8 ohm?) speaker, so you could use one of those transformers they sell at any car audio shop, which reduces the speaker levels to Auxiliary levels, and isolates it, so you could use the output to drive a separate 12 volt mini car amplifier. If you're good at home brewing stuff, you could probably put the whole thing on a breadboard with an LM386 or similar in a project box.

Back