What are the power buttons for on the homelink mirror?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevempotter

:?: I don't see any mention of what these I and O buttons do on my rear-view mirror.
If they do nothing, why are they there?

Programming it to open my garage took a few tries but works fine.

Another HomeLink question: My HomeLink Transiever does not open the garage anymore. The reprogramming does not work - green light remains steady. Any suggestions before I have to take that horrible trip to the far away Nissan Dealer?

Yes the regular garage door opener works as does the manual. I tried following the manual to reprogram the HomeLink, but it does not reset when I push in the two left buttons for 20 sec. The green light remains stable.

We have two separate garage doors and what's interesting about HomeLink (we have one on our LEAF and one on our '09 VW Routan) is they both work on the older door opener but not as well on the newer one; luckily they are mostly parked in tandem on the side that works the best so we kept them that way -- there are ways to reset the door opener codes themselves and/or to have your HomeLink 'relearn' things, etc. so I would dig out (or research online if you lost the manual for your opener) on that aspect as well before totally giving up. We've found that changing channels, etc. (if so equipped) can help as well as new batteries in the portable opener as well will help, What I mean to say is that it's probably not your car but the door opener itself, if you do have another car that uses HomeLink successfully perhaps not but these things can get tricky; of course once they work it's great as no more batteries for the portable openers to worry about!

larrys3255 said:
Another HomeLink question: My HomeLink Transiever does not open the garage anymore. The reprogramming does not work - green light remains steady. Any suggestions before I have to take that horrible trip to the far away Nissan Dealer?
You probably held the training button on the opener for too long while setting up the new car. Doing so will wipe the memory of all other remotes... You will need to reprogram them.

You mean hat the auto-dim is really supposed to work? Mine has never worked, whether on or off. I have shined a flashlight directly into the sensor opening and there is a slight darkening of the mirror, but nothing else. The programming, etc including all of the advice herein has been followed for the garage door and that doesn't work either. I figure that the mirror gadgetry is defective. It's a gimmick anyway, but I think I paid for it instead of the regular cheap mirror which works. I've got that on the list of problems to take up with the dealer when I take in the Leaf in for maintenance after one year.

I think the problem may be that older garage door opener systems don't respond to multiple signals. I have the HomeLink on my Prius, yet the one on my Leaf seems problematic. This isn't the fault of the Leaf, though.
larrys3255 said:

DoxyLover said:
lpickup said:
CWO4Mann said:
You mean hat the auto-dim is really supposed to work?
Yes, mine works great! I almost think it's spooky. I never new that technology existed. I love it!
Mine works well, too. Also, it's not that new; I had it on my 2007 Prius too.
Double-ditto!

Also, shining a flashlight into your auto-dimming mirror to get it to dim won't do anything as the auto-dimming mirror has multiple sensors that detects the variance between light intensity (to measure glare) from the front and that from the back and dims accordingly. That's why you never hear of many people retrofitting auto-dimming into cars that didn't come with it, installing the sensors/wiring/etc is much too costly in an existing vehicle.

Now, back to Homelink discussion, I've had some trouble with my older garage door opener playing nice with either Prius or the Leaf homelink. I didn't spend too much time trying to get it to work but before moving I had no problem programming my Prius homelink for the gate at our apartment complex or for the garage doors at my parent's house. Both of those openers were newer units, though, so I have a feeling it could be an old door opener issue. What year was yours made?

DoxyLover said:
lpickup said:
CWO4Mann said:
You mean hat the auto-dim is really supposed to work?
Yes, mine works great! I almost think it's spooky. I never new that technology existed. I love it!
Mine works well, too. Also, it's not that new; I had it on my 2007 Prius too.

I actually hate the auto-dimming, but only because I have the windows tinted. It's too dark with the auto dim on.

You can turn it off if you like via the button on the mirror. Thought, I have a 20 percent rear hatch window tint and a 20 percent tint down to the AS1 on the windshield, and it still works perfectly for me with that...

shrink said:
I actually hate the auto-dimming, but only because I have the windows tinted. It's too dark with the auto dim on.

I had a guy from the dealership come over to the house to try to get ours to work and he failed also..Our garage door motor was just upgraded a few years ago..

mark13 said:
I had a guy from the dealership come over to the house to try to get ours to work and he failed also..Our garage door motor was just upgraded a few years ago..
You might want to search for homelink and your garage door opener. My opener was replaced last year and the Leaf controls it just fine.

There are two methods to program homelink. Pair the car to the garage door unit, or the garage door unit to the car. In theory the first is easier, but not always 100%.

To program homelink, hold the outer 2 buttons (imagine the buttons being labeled 1-2-3, hold 1 and 3) until they are a solid green light, then press the homelink button you want to control the garage door opener at the same time as your garage door remote and hold it until the light starts blinking quickly. Release and it should be good.

If it is failing to program that way, then get a ladder and look at the garage door motor/unit hanging from your ceiling. They are all very different, but the button is usually on the back (the side facing away from the garage door), could be on the left side of the unit or in the back behind a small panel.

It is a 'learning' button, so it will force the garage door opener to pair with the car instead of the car with the garage door opener. It might delete the codes used by your 'visor' remotes, but not that big of a deal. Anyways, hit the button on the garage door unit then push the desired homelink button in the car, and it should work. If the visor remotes deprogram hit the button on the garage door unit again and then hit the button on the remote.

Hope that helps someone!

KayserNissan said:
There are two methods to program homelink. Pair the car to the garage door unit, or the garage door unit to the car. In theory the first is easier, but not always 100%.

To program homelink, hold the outer 2 buttons (imagine the buttons being labeled 1-2-3, hold 1 and 3) until they are a solid green light, then press the homelink button you want to control the garage door opener at the same time as your garage door remote and hold it until the light starts blinking quickly. Release and it should be good.

If it is failing to program that way, then get a ladder and look at the garage door motor/unit hanging from your ceiling. They are all very different, but the button is usually on the back (the side facing away from the garage door), could be on the left side of the unit or in the back behind a small panel.

It is a 'learning' button, so it will force the garage door opener to pair with the car instead of the car with the garage door opener. It might delete the codes used by your 'visor' remotes, but not that big of a deal. Anyways, hit the button on the garage door unit then push the desired homelink button in the car, and it should work. If the visor remotes deprogram hit the button on the garage door unit again and then hit the button on the remote.

Hope that helps someone!

+1 thanks for the help. Just programmed my garage doors. It was easier than finding my user manual. :)

Back