Trivia Test conducted at the San Diego LEAF meet, 1 Oct 2011

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

Our highest score was 7 of 10, who won a $50 gift certificate to California Pizza Kitchen. Test you skill (without looking in a book or google searching it!!!!):

LEAF Trivia Test
Oct 1, 2011

Name: ________________________

1. There are 3 blue lights on the top of the dash. What is the meaning of only the number 3 blue light flashing (the one on the driver’s side) when number 1 and 2 are not illuminated?

A. The traction (main) battery is charging, and it is in the lowest one third of its capacity
B. The traction (main) battery is charging, and it is in the upper one third of its capacity
C. The 12 volt lead acid battery is charging
D. A and C
E. A and B
F. B and C
G. None of these

2. How does the LEAF calculate the displayed speed?

A. Speed is determined via the GPS satellite receiver through the navigation system
B. Speed is determined via sextant triangulation and micro farad instruments
C. Speed is determined from a measure of the outside diameter of the tires, and calculating the velocity of the tires rotation
D. A and C
E. A and B
F. B and C
G. All of these
H. None of these

3. How is the traction battery pack cooled?

A. Forced Air cooled
B. Liquid cooled
C. Cryogenically cooled
D. Compressed freon R134
E. A and C
F. B and D
G. B and C
H. A and B
I. All of these
J. None of these

4. The SL model of the LEAF comes equipped with a solar PV panel. How long must the car sit in clear, bright sunlight to add 10 miles of range?

A. A really, really long time; generally over a week
B. 10.3 hours average in the San Diego latitude of 32 degrees north, during summer. 14.2 hours average in the winter
C. First you have to make sure the solar PV switch is activated
D. The solar PV panel is misnamed, because it actually only produces heat energy to augument the climate control
E. B and C
F. A and C
G. None of these

5. What is true about the spare tire?

A. It is under the traction motor with a heat shield to protect it from traction motor heat dissipation
B. It is to the left of the DC/AC inverter assembly (driver's side of the car)
C. The spare tire uses no air; it is solid rubber
D. Only UK and Japan LEAFs have a spare tire
E. B and C
F. A and D
G. B and C
H. None of these

6. About how many LEAFs have been delivered?

A. 2367
B. 5417
C. 10,000 – 15,000
D. 100,000 – 150,000
E. 1,000,000 – 1,500,000
F. A and B added together
G. None of these

7. Headlights are

A. LED
B. HID
C. Incandescent
D. GPS
E. A and B
F. B and C
G. B and D
H. A and C
I. None of these

8. Parking brake

A. The parking brake is electrically operated, unless the battery is dead; then it must be manually engaged with a tool in the rear of the car
B. The parking brake is mechanically operated, unless the battery is over 44.3% state of charge (SOC), or 367 DC pack voltage, at which time it becomes electrically operated
C. If the battery dies, a half dozen huge "capacitors" use their stored energy to electrically operate the brakes
D. The LEAF does not have a parking brake
E. The parking brake is electric operated, to engage the cars hydraulic braking system
F. The parking brakes are drum brakes, even though all four wheels have disc brakes on them
G. A and F
H. B and E
I. C and F
J. None of these

9. What is different on a UK spec'd LEAF that a USA model does not have?

A. Steering wheel on right hand side
B. Lifting Jack to change tires (ok, tyres in UK)
C. Smaller rear headrests
D. Speedometer in kilometers per hour
E. Extra tail lights for fog
F. A, B and C, D
G. A, B, C and E
H. A and D
I. A and C
J. All of these
K. None of these

10. What does the acronym LEAF stand for, according to Nissan?

A. Light Emitting And Fun
B. Leading Economic Allied Forces
C. Leading Example About Fuel
D. Leading Environmentally friendly Affordable Family Car
E. Linux Embedded Appliance Framework
F. LEAF is not an acronym
G. None of these

OK, here are my answers:
1g
2h
3j
4a, but the answers are possibly poorly phrased: the length of time to add "10 miles of range" depends on one's energy economy as well as one's location and weather, so it can be a less than one week; plus "a really, really long time" is relative and "generally over a week" is vague).
5h
6d (worldwide)
7a
8g
9i
10d

What are the answers, and references to prove that they are the correct answers?!

aqn said:
OK, here are my answers:
1g - C
2h - C
3j - J
4a - G
5h - H
6d - C
7a - H
8g - i
9i - G
10d-D

1. There are 3 blue lights on the top of the dash. What is the meaning of only the number 3 blue light flashing (the one on the driver’s side) when number 1 and 2 are not illuminated?

C. The 12 volt lead acid battery is charging

2. How does the LEAF calculate the displayed speed?

C. Speed is determined from a measure of the outside diameter of the tires, and calculating the velocity of the tires rotation (pretty much like every other car in the world)

3. How is the traction battery pack cooled?

J. None of these (the main battery has no active cooling of any kind)

4. The SL model of the LEAF comes equipped with a solar PV panel. How long must the car sit in clear, bright sunlight to add 10 miles of range?

G. None of these (the LEAF solar panel only charges the 12V lead acid battery, which doesn't add any range)

5. What is true about the spare tire?

H. None of these (none of the cars have a spare, regardless of country of delivery)

6. About how many LEAFs have been delivered?

C. 10,000 – 15,000 (about 11,700 worldwide at the end of August)

7. Headlights are

H. A and C

>>> A. LED (low beam)
>>> C. Incandescent (high beam)

8. Parking brake

I. C and F

>>> C. If the battery dies, a half dozen huge "capacitors" use their stored energy to electrically operate the brakes <<<<
>>> F. The parking brakes are drum brakes, even though all four wheels have disc brakes on them<<<

9. What is different on a UK spec'd LEAF that a USA model does not have?

G. A, B, C and E

>>>>Cars still use miles per hour in the UK (answer D)<<<<

10. What does the acronym LEAF stand for, according to Nissan?

D. Leading Environmentally friendly Affordable Family Car

garygid said:
#10 has 2 "E" answers

Is "kilometerspppp" intended on #9D?

The kilo thing wasn't on the printed test, so that is just some funny business from being posted here.

That's supposed to say "kilometers per hour".

The two E answers is an oversight, but of course, neither is a correct answer.

TonyWilliams said:
The two E answers is an oversight, but of course, neither is a correct answer.

Number 10's correct answer is the second 'E. LEAF is a backronym. I remember seeing that somewhere a long time ago.

LEAFfan said:
Number 10's correct answer is the second 'E. LEAF is a backronym. I remember seeing that somewhere a long time ago.

Had to look that one up! Another new word to the english language. But.... it's still an acronym!

"The word is a combination (a portmanteau or a blend) of backward and acronym, and has been defined as a "reverse acronym".[1] Its earliest known citation in print is as "bacronym" in the November 1983 edition of the Washington Post "

TonyWilliams said:
LEAFfan said:

Had to look that one up! Another new word to the english language. But.... it's still an acronym!

"The word is a combination (a portmanteau or a blend) of backward and acronym, and has been defined as a "reverse acronym".[1] Its earliest known citation in print is as "bacronym" in the November 1983 edition of the Washington Post "

The Nissan Leaf (also formatted "LEAF" as a backronym for Leading, Environmentally friendly, Affordable, Family car[3]) is a five-door hatchback electric car manufactured by Nissan and introduced in Japan and the United States in December 2010.

Back