Any tips to allow me to USE the navi and phone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adaminla

One of the more annoying things about the Leaf to me is that I must be fully stopped in order to use the phone dial pad or navigation system.

Is there any workaround? What if I have a passenger in the car and they want to use the navigation system? Seems that some one decided it's safer to just disable the entry system for these items when the car is in motion but left all the other crummy stuff I can't use fully functional.

I've reverted back to a tom-tom for directions as of today because I like to be able to do this while on the road.

It is really unsfae to do this. Distracted driving KILLS! Seatbelts didn't used to be a part of the routine, but society has evolved. Now eliminating distracted driving needs to be something we all care about. There are people who are cheated out of life because you can't take a moment to pull over to make a call or set a route. I say you because for every person who thinks this is ok, it helps to fosters a society of acceptance for this revolting behavior.

If you had an 05 Acura you could say, "find nearest restaurant" or "go home" or find "parking", etc and it would list them in order of distance and you could select or even see the phone number. This NAV sucks, even more as it is 2011. I hope many people complain about this as it is really unacceptable for a 2011 car. In addition using it stopped is very unintuitive, and time consuming to get what you want.

EVDRIVER said:
If you had an 05 Acura...

yep and if you had a 62 Chevy you wouldnt have to wear them inconvenient seat belts either.

maybe u might want to consider that Acura did it wrong.

most Nav and phone systems will work fine moving or not. it may not be as intuitive as we hoped, but voice control will do most of what you need.

azdre said:
It is really unsafe to do this. Distracted driving KILLS! Seatbelts didn't used to be a part of the routine, but society has evolved. Now eliminating distracted driving needs to be something we all care about. There are people who are cheated out of life because you can't take a moment to pull over to make a call or set a route. I say you because for every person who thinks this is ok, it helps to fosters a society of acceptance for this revolting behavior.
Yep, it's just as dangerous as changing radio stations too, but you don't see anybody fighting to ban stereos from cars... It's dangerous just driving at all, so maybe we should just stay at home... :D

There are ways to minimize risk, but at the end of the day Nissan decided to block some functions while the vehicle is in motion while keeping a bunch of others available to use without rhyme or reason...

That is ridiculous! Changing radio stations requires one button built right into both the dash and the steering wheel of most cars. It's not a valid comparison. It is as dangerous as drunk driving and if someone posted here about getting behind the wheel after downing a few martinis, I'm sure it wouldn't go unnoticed. Driving is a risk, defensive driving is an essential skill, but that doesn't mean anyone should take lightly the responsibility that each of us has to each other when wielding a 2-ton weapon. I hate to think that laws will be requires to force people to take this seriously. Wake up people! The life you save could be your son or daughter's by setting a good example.

Step 1: Learn what you are allowed to do when driving.

Step 2: Learn what you can do with Voice Commands (like dial by number) while driving.

Step 3: Learn to prepare some of the things that you might want (locations, phone numbers) before starting to drive.

Step 4: Learn to pull over to a safe spot when necessary.

Step 5: Remember how people managed to drive BEFORE cell phones and Nav systems.

Cheers, Gary

GroundLoop said:
So... let your passenger do it?
That's what I do with the TomTom, and it hasn't caused an accident.
On our last trip, my co-pilot (my wife) was pretty upset that she couldn't look things up on the navigation system while I was driving. I told her it was for her own safety. :D

DarkStar said:
GroundLoop said:
So... let your passenger do it?
That's what I do with the TomTom, and it hasn't caused an accident.
On our last trip, my co-pilot (my wife) was pretty upset that she couldn't look things up on the navigation system while I was driving. I told her it was for her own safety. :D

It could very easily been enabled by the same sensor that turns on and off the passenger airbag when sensing a passenger in the seat.

azdre said:
It is really unsfae to do this. Distracted driving KILLS! Seatbelts didn't used to be a part of the routine, but society has evolved. Now eliminating distracted driving needs to be something we all care about. There are people who are cheated out of life because you can't take a moment to pull over to make a call or set a route. I say you because for every person who thinks this is ok, it helps to fosters a society of acceptance for this revolting behavior.
When I need to mess with the NAV system in my Prius other than a simple button push on the touch screen (similar to changing the climate controls or adjusting the stereo volume), I'll do it at a red light or pull over and stop. When I have a passenger in the car, they should be allowed to operate the NAV system. When I'm on long trips and typically need some interaction with the NAV system, my spouse is in the passenger seat and I would have her do it. I would certainly not say, re-enter a destination while driving, I as the driver do that stopped, but when my wife is with me she should be allowed to do it.

They could do it by seat sensor or do a fancy capacitive coupling to from the passenger seat to the human body occupying it, through that body to the touch screen. Only respond to the distracting functions from a body that connects the passenger seat to the display.

As a driver, my eyes are on the road. You have to know the rules of the road and focus on the road, so you can watch out for other drivers, road hazards, pedestrians, cyclist, electric vehicles, children, etc.

Sorry but I don't agree that using the navigation system while the car is in motion is so critically dangerous.

As of now I do pull over and deal with it but I try to coast to stops now and minimize stopping for lights when possible by feather footing through traffic.

I found it doubly annoying that with my passengers in the car, we cannot utilize the system. I drive people to look at homes and apartments so I'm using the navigation system constantly. I find it much better than having a thomas guide on my lap.

One solution I've found is that the History menus in both the phone and navigation systems are fully usable while the car is in motion.

our litigious society will insure the future of ridiculously strict safety laws until we can learn to behave ourselves (ya right!! like that will ever happen)

until then, lets know that Nissan is doing whatever it can to be accommodating. the ability to send NAV routes from google to the car is one way to help. granted it does not address last minute plans, etc and pulling over in some areas besides being inconvenient maybe downright dangerous.

let me tell you, the google thing is beyond awesome. right now we are looking for a place to move to. i have sent up to 5 routes at a time to the car. it makes planning a day like this beyond easy. each route was routed from our home to the house in question and that did not matter. the car still picked it up where we happen to be no problem.

DaveinOlyWA said:
let me tell you, the google thing is beyond awesome. right now we are looking for a place to move to. i have sent up to 5 routes at a time to the car. it makes planning a day like this beyond easy. each route was routed from our home to the house in question and that did not matter. the car still picked it up where we happen to be no problem.
Does this only work from a computer? Or does it also work from the Google Maps smartphone app and/or from Google Maps on a mobile browser?

walterbays said:
Does this only work from a computer? Or does it also work from the Google Maps smartphone app and/or from Google Maps on a mobile browser?

hmm, you may have hit on a perfect solution, will have to try it

**edit** trying to make it work on my Android but getting email option only *i think*

i am actually gettting error msg stating i must sign into my google account first. problem is i am already signed in.

As opposed to all of the drivers we see every day Driving 10-20 mph over the posted speed limit, forgot what the hell a turn signal is, or just don't give a s**t! with the kids in the car. Example. I don't believe anyone here can honestly say that they set the perfect example. Maybe you pull over to use the phone, the Navi, the bathroom. But I would wager you probably eschew the turn signals just like the majority of drivers. And that includes cops in squad cars for god sake!!
azdre said:
That is ridiculous! Changing radio stations requires one button built right into both the dash and the steering wheel of most cars. It's not a valid comparison. It is as dangerous as drunk driving and if someone posted here about getting behind the wheel after downing a few martinis, I'm sure it wouldn't go unnoticed. Driving is a risk, defensive driving is an essential skill, but that doesn't mean anyone should take lightly the responsibility that each of us has to each other when wielding a 2-ton weapon. I hate to think that laws will be requires to force people to take this seriously. Wake up people! The life you save could be your son or daughter's by setting a good example.

adaminla said:
I drive people to look at homes and apartments so I'm using the navigation system constantly. I find it much better than having a thomas guide on my lap.
Just plug in your next destination prior to leaving your current location. You can do it while talking with your clients about how neat it is to have this feature. :)

Back