J1772 Cap/Protector

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobkart

The L2 EVSE I got last month (ClipperCreek LCS-25P) does not come with a rubber cap for the J1772 end. No doubt they expect you to use one of those holsters. I'm waiting for a more permanent mounting of the EVSE before I get a holster for it, but want to protect the J1772 end in the mean time. I did see the same style of protectors as come on the stock Nissan L1 EVSE (silicone I believe), but did not see many sources or decent prices (nothing on Amazon, just one on eBay, and it would take weeks to get here due to being from China). So I decided to wing it with something not intended for this purpose, but that would hopefully still suffice given that the need is just temporary.

71b1nQ8INTL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WWJP7N

I guessed at a size that would just accommodate the extra 'guide rail' at the bottom, and nailed it. It's a snug fit (won't fall off) and is still easily added/removed by hand.

Downside is they only come in packs of eight.

Thanks for the data point. I don't doubt that the connector can survive well without any protection, especially if only used indoors.

Off topic a bit, but if you don't mind sharing, which supply-side plug is on your LCS-25P?

bobkart said:
Thanks for the data point. I don't doubt that the connector can survive well without any protection, especially if only used indoors.

Off topic a bit, but if you don't mind sharing, which supply-side plug is on your LCS-25P?
14-30P because it's the same as our dryer. I got tired of unplugging so I installed a 14-30 outlet in the garage. I'm using the Leaf's 240V EVSE now and loving the increased charging speed.

Makes sense . . . that's probably the plug I should have gotten, but the 14-50P version I got was a good deal (under $300). I'm sharing with the dryer (via 14-50R outlet temporarily added to that circuit) until I find an electrician.

I'm worried that if I ask the electrician to install a 40A or 50A circuit they'll have concerns about overloading my total service capacity (which is apparently only 100A). A 30A circuit will fit better in that regard, but then I think it needs a 14-30R outlet, so I'll need an adapter cord between that and my EVSE. I guess I'll see what the electrician thinks when I talk to them.

Back