Remove Mud Flaps for Longer Range?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

This site: http://www.johnsavesenergy.com/HundredMilesOfRange.html#.V2RkXTWAaVD

recommends removing the mudflaps to get a higher range. Anyone heard of that?

yes, I've seen posts on this very forum that tell you how to do this and they also add that you should then put the mud flap on the front of the tire as to break the air up before it hits the tire. I don't recall where it is though.

John is a cool Dude, lives a few miles away from me. I've met him at one of his free workshops for saving energy at home.. I'd love to get to know him better but he is a very busy man.

Some things that John says are quite valid, like keeping your speed down and pre-heating while plugged in. But, I look at the mud flap removal recommendations with a skeptical eye.

I tried this myself in another topic here and found no difference. The Leaf needs a little more research and some serious mods to make it better for high speed travel with better aerodynamics. The best and cheapest I've seen so far for the Leaf are full wheel covers and the back wheel bridge cover if you really want to maximize your aerodynamics.

My wife removed one of the front ones by hitting something, and I removed the other one. I didn't see any Improvement on my benchmark drive.

Removing a mud guard to improve range is like taking vitamins to reduce weight... waste of time and mental energy.

Drive the car and don't worry about your range..

You can really get down to splitting hairs with this business of aerodynamics. If adding mudflaps degrades range, then opening a window should really blow your range all to heck. It doesn't - but perhaps it makes some small difference. Too many things to obsess about.

Simply put, mudguards are an aerodynamic hindrance. And of course the faster u go, the more detrimental their effect. I took mine off because they were fugly and and aero issue. I would like a rear wheel arch cover. I could make something stupid out of cardboard and tape it on, but scientifically, due to changing conditions and living in a highly populated area...would be hard to get any remotely scientific data. It is understood by many on the Honda Insight forum (I own an original Honda Insight also) that the rear wheel covers are only good for about 1 maybe 2 mpg at best.

Tire selection is on of the most important aspects. Only this changes rolling resistance (plus ideal pressure).

Having more efficient wheels (all four) has more effect than rear wheel arch covers.
Cheapest option is to take non-alloy wheels and add almost flat plastic hubs.
More expensive is to find some shiny covers:
zgVdGZzZA6suw5n8t0PzkrPfvwwJJAXwJXN0B91tV5VWrY8v-2sKiUsmNE6BjXQjMP1Uf1C0NeM=w1364-h876-no

Back