Really, really using those LEAF cameras to your advantage

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering if anybody has figured out a way to transmit a live video feed from all four of the LEAF cameras onto a mobile device? This would be a wonderful security feature.

This wouldn't be as simple as it should be. There's a lot involved with the camera feeds.

Basically, the car has to be on for the cameras to work. In addition, they disable >5MPH. If you can circumvent those, it's just a matter of an adapter to send the video feed over BT/WiFi.

I'd be concerned about the 12V drain, though. The SLA wasn't made to handle loads like that, and may not even last 8 hours. (12Ah SLA ~150Wh)

Edit: For clarity, I assume the camera feeds were meant for video capture while the car is parked/off (no DC-DC converter). The speed switch may not be an issue when it's parked, but the circuitry definitely adds complexity.

Bear in mind that the four cameras used to produce the "car in the center" screen view show images that become extremely distorted the farther away they are from the car. The camera which shows the view to the rear while in reverse might be useful if it has enough resolution, if you could somehow get to its feed.

Looks to me like I'd need a separate camera unit - like one of the mirror-mounted ones - to get the coverage I'd want.

not as hard as you might think... the cameras have 4 connections

12v - red,
neg - black
video feed - yellow
switch on - white

remember you have 4 cameras so youd need either 4 monitors or software to take all 4 in one

they use ntsc if i remember rightly to get them to work on a monitor [so the monitor would need the ability to swap from UK's PAL setting] - if you dont change it the screen rolls.

it would be illegal to have them all working as you drive tho... video cannot be visible from the drivers seat... be aware

Back