Does a Leaf stall when driving through water?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 10599

With the snows we are having in the Midwest, I'm guessing that there will be substantial flooding in the spring.

One of the things that is always in the news for flooding is how cars stall when they try to drive through water that is too deep.

But would that be a problem for an electric car?

I'm not an engineer and certainly haven't tested this (and won't). But I figure the car manufacturers probably have tested it. So does anyone here know the answer?

My non-engineer thoughts:

1. Since there is no ICE, there would be no need for an air intake that would become problematic with high water levels.

2. However, if the inside of the compartments (engine/battery) flood, does electric shock become a problem? If so, then I would guess the manufacturers may have designed in a safety shutdown rather than let the car continue.

Thoughts?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/05/nissan-leaf-tested-in-strange-new-ways-to-ensure-safety-video.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And... real-world, muddy water fording:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRTnoeudTPQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You’ll be pleased to know that I took the Leaf along a road approx. 80m in length, through at least 2 ft. of water the other day (it’s a well-known local area with fords at each end).

Unbeknownst to me, a Land rover tried the day before and didn’t make it (see link)!

http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/News/East-Herts-villages/Two-men-stranded-on-bonnet-of-Land-Rover-in-3ft-of-flood-water-in-Much-Hadham-20140131094104.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know that it was at least 2ft (possibly 3ft as the story suggests) as there was no visible splash of water being thrown from the wheels as they turned. This means they must have been fully submerged. (16 inch alloys with a profile of 4inches X 2 – making 2 ft. altogether??)

Absolutely bone dry when I came out the other end. I had to go through another pool about a minute later (about 20m long), and this time, I could see plenty of muddy water being thrown up through the air, so this was not as deep.

I was driving against the flow which was moving at about 0.5 to 1m per second.

The amber warning triangle flashed a couple of times (probably because of the extra effort in travelling through), and the traction control light flashed intermittently. I put that down to small debris that sits on the base of the road after deep flooding. There was also an amount of buffeting that I could feel trying to ‘lift’ the front of the vehicle.

What a great piece of engineering!

I had to find out, as some of the main country roads around here can get like this, and there may not be the option of a long detour if I’ve forgotten to charge up!.

I can’t provide you with photo evidence etc., as the windows were kept shut (for obvious reasons), as I needed to concentrate to get through, and keep moving!

I kept it slow and steady in eco mode.

I've only seen your thread today, hence the late reply.

I'm glad you were able to make it across safely, but do note that this could have ended very badly for you. Water that deep, and moving at 1 m/sec (about 2-1/2 MPH for us non-metric types) has the power to wash vehicles off the road. That's what that "lifting" feeling was about.

A lot of people die in flash floods in the US, especially in the dry areas that don't get a lot of rainfall, because people underestimate the power of moving water.

This video was shot on U.S. Highway 24 in Colorado last year. The flooding was a direct result of a big wildfire in the mountains during the summer, and then heavy rainfall a few months later. Although the water is moving fast, it's not nearly as deep: http://youtu.be/bBQ4TKOR-9E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm glad you were able to make it across safely, but do note that this could have ended very badly for you.

Thanks for your concern, (and the video), but it was nowhere near the speed of the video. It was not a life-threatening situation, only a potentially embarrassing (and expensive?) one. I could have provided a poor estimate of flow rate, but I'm convinced that the vehicle would have held with the brake on. The water was deeper than shown (see link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89oOJnWZ_Ls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
), but I went through much more slowly.

Perhaps some of the more science minded contributors can estimate the flow rate needed (making assumptions about contact area etc) to move a 1700kg (including one man) Nissan Leaf with its brakes on!

Besides the danger of becoming swept away, there is also the fact that quite often, road-covering water is so turbid that you can't see anything past the first inch or so of depth. Probably in the OP's situation, the water was surface runoff, but sometimes, unexpected "puddles" have unexpected origins, such as a broken underground water main that's washed away several cubic yards' worth of ground, as in this semi-related video

truckstop55 said:
... Unbeknownst to me, a Land rover tried the day before and didn’t make it (see link)! ...
Here is a link that works:
http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/men-stranded-bonnet-Land-Rover-3ft-flood-water-Hadham/story-21981552-detail/story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DanCar said:
truckstop55 said:
... Unbeknownst to me, a Land rover tried the day before and didn’t make it (see link)! ...
http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/men-stranded-bonnet-Land-Rover-3ft-flood-water-Hadham/story-21981552-detail/story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which begets the question...is the Discovery a "real" Land Rover? I say no, sir!

truckstop55 said:
Perhaps some of the more science minded contributors can estimate the flow rate needed (making assumptions about contact area etc) to move a 1700kg (including one man) Nissan Leaf with its brakes on!

OK, I'll give some scale numbers for the forces.

First, lets assume a 1.5 metric ton vehicle (about 3300 pounds). I will work in metric units for now, and round Earths gravity to 10 m/s^2 (instead of 9.8). I am in no way saying this is the right number for a LEAF, but it is a good start. With a coefficient of static friction of the tires of about 0.33 (close), this means it takes 1.5 ton * 10 m/s**2 * 0.33 = 5000 Newton of force to slide the car sideways, assuming the tires are not wet (!). The not-wet assumption which gives the 0.33 coefficient of friction is, of course, terrible for a car driving through water, but I don't have numbers for wet tires. We'll get back to that later.

If one starts with 30 cm of water (1 foot) moving 1 m/s, and assume the car is 3.3 meters long, the force from the water is about 1000 Newton. I am assuming that the car stops the water, essentially. The car does let some water underneath but is pretty low-slung, so this won't be a big correction.

So far, one seems relatively safe, since I have found about 1000N of force when it might take 5000 to slide the car. There are many other factors, though, some of which may be in the LEAF's favor.

First is buoyancy. The water tries to float the car. Since a LEAF has a very heavy battery and is a small car, it is very dense, so it doesn't try to float too much. Most cars are, in fact, very low density (much larger footprint on the road for the weight). However, this is a very significant effect, and might make things twice as bad as I assume in the rest of the discussion. In shallow water which goes entirely underneath, it isn't a problem, but as soon as the footprint of the car becomes submerged it is very serious, so water deeper than about 6" is where this can be a killer.

Second is much more problematic. Water piles up on the upstream side of the car, hugely. A 12" deep flow can probably easily end up 24" deep as it runs around the car. This doubles the force to 2000N.

Finally, there is the coefficient of friction, which can be MUCH lower for wet tires than dry. Various web sites indicate that stopping distance doubles on wet pavement, so we are down to only 2500N to displace the car.

The third factor is that the friction coefficients I am using are _static_ friction. When something starts to slip, it falls dramatically, which is why once a car starts to skid, it takes much longer to stop. This can be as much as another factor of two. If turbulence or a wave in the water kicks you loose, or you hit a bump under the water, your holding force may well fall to 1250N.

Now, given the very low speed (1m/s, which is very, very slow water), and the fact that you have 2500N to slide the car (assuming it doesn't get bumped enough to go to sliding friction, in which case it is only 1250), and 2000N from the water, do you want to bet your life on this? I don't. Also, remember the buoyancy correction, which cuts in at about 6" of water and makes things much worse. I was raised in a flood area, and the drownings of people crossing 6" of water were frequent.

DON'T DO IT!

Surprised to find no explanation of why ICE cars frequently stall, even in as little as 6" of water.

Three reasons, neither having to do with submersion of the air intake. The first is thermal shock. Cold water hitting a hot engine block, if it does not initially ruin the engine, at least distorts the engine enough to cause momentary piston or crank seizures. The sudden slowdown of the working gear is usually enough the stall the engine. Re-starting is not guaranteed.

The second cause of stalling is the generation of steam from the water hitting the hot block. Put enough moisture in the air and the engine asphyxiates. This is more prevalent on older cars (1980s and earlier) where there is a lot of open volume under the hood, allowing a lot of steam and water droplets into the intake area.

Finally, on older cars again, the big one is simply the low tolerance that the old distributors, spark plug wires, and other components have for disruption of the circuit by water. Our old '81 Corolla had one of the first partially computerized, mostly vacuum-operated emission controls. It always failed if it got wet.

JohnBike said:
Three reasons, neither having to do with submersion of the air intake. The first is thermal shock. Cold water hitting a hot engine block, if it does not initially ruin the engine, at least distorts the engine enough to cause momentary piston or crank seizures. The sudden slowdown of the working gear is usually enough the stall the engine. Re-starting is not guaranteed.

Then how do cars with snorkels do it if they can go with the engine 100% under water?

mwalsh said:
DanCar said:
truckstop55 said:

Which begets the question...is the Discovery a "real" Land Rover? I say no, sir!

I bet it had more to do with lucas electrics getting wet than the ability of the truck to drive through.

I drove mine through about 8-12" in the rain storm the other day. I drove slowly so as to not cause a wave onto the cars that had formed a single lane on the shallowest edge of the flooded area.

Not even a hiccup.

First the guy who drove the Leaf through the water is a dimp. He makes endless videos and free-associates for hours of video which make no sense. In my area, there is a junk yard with 2 Leafs that were considered "total loss" due to flood damage. Imagine a 400v battery with hundreds of electrical connections and switches, and an electrical motor (which need to be clean to work) getting wet with water and mud to clog and rust every nook and cranny inside the car. That jack-ass that drove through the water will probably have a high voltage catastrophic damage and try to get Nissan to pay him for a new car. If We care about our investment, we should not even consider driving through water... period...

PS- the person who questioned why a gas motor dies with water? Well, the answer is that the car's intake takes in air into the engine, and the pistons compress the air and gas mixture until it explodes and pushes the piston down with energy. When water gets into the intake and engine, the engine will try to compress the volume of inside the cylinder. Since water does not compress, the piston will be jammed, and all of the piston rods and crankshaft will be destroyed. So a car, even going through a smaller puddle can get water into the air intake, and BANGO! destroyed engine...

powersurge said:
Imagine a 400v battery with hundreds of electrical connections and switches, and an electrical motor (which need to be clean to work) getting wet
I believe that both the motor & battery are sealed and can withstand being submerged. But I would worry about connectors and any electronics that aren't as well protected being submerged in water.

Back