TPMS mod for winter wheels??? (SOLVED)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am going to try the mod where you place your tpms sensors in a pvc pipe pressurized to the correct pressure and placing it in the trunk. That way when I swap tires out I do not have to deal with the dealer resetting different tpms sensors twice a year. But I have heard that some tpms sensor need to be rotating as well as proper pressure in order to work.. Can anyone verify this before I try it?
thanks

Addendum.
I just found a post on the Nissan 350z forum that Nissan uses a centrifugal sensor in the TPMS valve to stop and start the sensor in order to save the battery in the sensor. So putting the sensors in a pvc pipe will not work. I does work on some other cars.

Latest edit... This will not work on the leaf because the units must sense tire rotation to turn on. So It does not work... disregard this post

I found this on another site
here is how i made mine, since its prototype its sort of rough and larger then need be. Im experimenting with different sizes and diameters.

X2 3" PVC caps (5.00 per cap)
20" 3" PVC pipe (3.00)
PVC ahesive (5.00)
3/8 drill bit (everyone should own one alread)
3m outdoor ahesive(2.00)

What i did was glued the bottom part together
Used double sided 3m adhesive to mount the TPMS sensors inside so they dont move around
Then drilled a hole in the top cap, inserted one of the tpms sensors and can fill the canister using the existing sensor. (why did i use a TPMS sensor, why not? it works just like a valvestem and can be filled at any gas station if need be)
I then filled the canister to 38PSI
FYI it will take about 10 minutes for the TPMS sensors to register.

also it is a myth (IMO)that they need to be rotating with the wheel to work with the computer, i figure this out when i busted one off in my rim and it was rolling around loose for over two weeks, it never threw a code......
I asked a tire tech at a wheel shop about this and he told me that as long as the sensor can sense that its the OEM spec of PSI it is fine.

Back