Sunglasses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

The Leaf, as you probably already know, has a little compartment in the headliner to hold sunglasses. I've had these in other cars and liked them, but up until recently, I found it easier to use the two-cup holder in the console. The advantage of that is you don't have to open and close it every time you use it, but of course, you can't put a cup or glass there if you have your glasses in it. However, I discovered another disadvantage recently. I noticed scratched up spots on my sunglasses lenses right in the center of my field of vision - both eyes. I finally realized it came from the glasses resting on the lenses in the cupholders and sliding around a bit when I drove. They lie there horizontally across both cupholders. I almost always wear them during the day, but not at night. I can place the sunglasses in a vertical position in the driver's side cupholder to avoid the problem, but they still rattle around and sometimes fall over, so now I put them in the headliner niche. The biggest problem with that, I've found is that I sometimes forget to close it after I take my glasses out, especially if I am backing up (which is how I always leave my garage), so when I start forward, the compartment door partially blocks my vision until I close it. In a crowded parking lot this can be dangerous. I'm sure I'll get used to it if I stick with it long enough, but I also have to be sure to position the glasses lenses up, to avoid the original problem of scratching them. I am considering putting a soft surface in the bottom of the cupholders and going back to putting my glasses there. If anyone has advice or experience with this, please share. Fortunately my sunglasses are plastic off the rack from the drug store, not expensive prescription or designer ones, so I can replace them cheaply when needed.

If your sunglasses fit in the compartment that's built for them, then use it: you'll get used to it (I did).

My Honda Odyssey has the sunglass holder at the headliner, but it's much nicer than the one in the Leaf. It has two positions, one of which provides a mirror with a wide-angle view behind. When it's fully open, it does not block the view of the rear-view mirror, unlike the Leaf's. The compartment itself is padded, unlike the Leaf's.

I use the compartment in the Leaf, but shoved an old glasses case in there to give it some padding.

I'm confused. My sunglass holder has felt inside to prevent scratches, and I haven't seen any problems. Do some of the cars not have this?

davewill said:
I'm confused. My sunglass holder has felt inside to prevent scratches, and I haven't seen any problems. Do some of the cars not have this?
The problem is with the cupholder not having the padding. That's the preferred location for the sunglasses since I don't have to open and close it. I don't drink coffee or anything else in the car, so it's available right at hand.

Rat said:
The problem is with the cupholder not having the padding. That's the preferred location for the sunglasses since I don't have to open and close it. I don't drink coffee or anything else in the car, so it's available right at hand.
I understood, I was responding to your comment about having to put the lenses up to avoid scratches in the holder. If you really want to use the cupholder, maybe you should simply keep a small cup in one of them and put the glasses in that. You could put felt inside to protect them.

I don't know about you all, but in the summer I use the sunglass holder to heat up Hot-Pockets when I get hungry.

It gets HOT in there.

I used to keep my EVSE cards in there, but they melted. :lol:

Seriously, they melted.

KillaWhat said:
I don't know about you all, but in the summer I use the sunglass holder to heat up Hot-Pockets when I get hungry.

It gets HOT in there.
Yup, I got my car in May, and kept my sunglasses up there until July, when I discovered I had to drop them down on the console tray to cool for a couple of minutes before I could put them on. Since then I have just kept them on the tray. That's the tray in front of the cup holders, not in the cup holders. So long as I put them across the tray, lens side up, they don't slide around too much and there is no scratching problem. Of course if I were a stop light jackrabbit I suppose they might slide back into the cup holders.

Ray

planet4ever said:
KillaWhat said:

It gets HOT in there.
Yup, I got my car in May, and kept my sunglasses up there until July, when I discovered I had to drop them down on the console tray to cool for a couple of minutes before I could put them on. Since then I have just kept them on the tray.

Ray
I've nearly burned my nose off a couple of times... Probably would of if I lived in AZ.

KillaWhat said:

It gets HOT in there.
Wow. My Leaf is in a garage at home and at work, so I've never really left it out in the sun that long. Interesting.

garsh said:
KillaWhat said:

It gets HOT in there.
Wow. My Leaf is in a garage at home and at work, so I've never really left it out in the sun that long. Interesting.

I HAVE to leave mine out in the sun or that little solar panel in the back won't charge it up! :roll: :roll:

Stanton said:
If your sunglasses fit in the compartment that's built for them, then use it: you'll get used to it (I did).
I did that for a couple months. I had picked up my car in late December. I stored my glasses in the headliner compartment, as suggested. About mid May, my glasses became too hot to wear straight out of that compartment (I live in Phoenix).

Since then (a little more than a year), I've put my glasses on the flat spot just forward of the cup holders, facing up. By angling them, I can keep them from sliding around.

That flat spot is the perfect size for a CD case... if you don't have any cups in the holders. Tall cups don't fit in the holders, the center dash equipment presents a barrier to seating the cups. Moving the cup holders aft a couple inches would have made a world of difference.

Great design Nissan!

Electric4Me said:
planet4ever said:
KillaWhat said:

It gets HOT in there.
Yup, I got my car in May, and kept my sunglasses up there until July, when I discovered I had to drop them down on the console tray to cool for a couple of minutes before I could put them on. Since then I have just kept them on the tray.

Ray
I've nearly burned my nose off a couple of times... Probably would of if I lived in AZ.
I did. I'm not a pretty sight without a nose.

brettcgb said:
Since then (a little more than a year), I've put my glasses on the flat spot just forward of the cup holders, facing up. By angling them, I can keep them from sliding around.
I do the same with my sun glasses, I use the eye glass holder for the reg/ins card

The little overhead compartment is thinner for 2013, at least in my S. It's quite possible that they added some insulation between it and the roof. It hasn't been hot enough yet here for me to see if it is staying cooler.

Ray

planet4ever said:
The little overhead compartment is thinner for 2013, at least in my S. It's quite possible that they added some insulation between it and the roof. It hasn't been hot enough yet here for me to see if it is staying cooler.

Ray

Yeah Ray, I noticed the smaller compartment the first day because my sgs fit much tighter now. Perhaps they read about drivers with rattle problems. As far as heat goes, I haven't noticed any appreciable heat in either car.

Back