Mode=Floor+Feet AND Recirculate possible?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willingp

I have not found a way to defrost front window with this combination: MODE = FLOOR+FRONT WINDOW and also be in RECIRCULATE mode (automatically reverts to fresh air).
Is there a way to do this? If not, is there an easy way to block off the fresh-air port for winter driving?
(why? on most cold mornings, full DEFROST is seldom necessary; front window+feet mode at 60F setting keeps windshield clear, but why waste energy with cold air vent open?)

The problem is the humidity, as you exhale the humidity level in the car rises until it begins to condense on the cold glass. All cars when running heat use fresh air for this reason. This is also why the air-conditioning compressor will run a bit when using defrost. The Evaporator will remove any moisture from the air with minimal energy use.

Just keep the fan speed low and it won't be a problem unless you really need the range. At that point, you have no recourse unless you crack the windows, as leaving the CC on will cause it to use the heat, (and reduce range) regardless of temp setting. (That is, Unless you have my CC upgrade)

-Phil

Thanks--wasn't actually asking for an explanation, though (am aware of condensation principles). My experience in other cars is that you don't usually require fresh-air to defrost with just the heater (not using AC), unless the humidity is relatively high. I just wish Nissan didn't think owners were too dumb to be able to select fresh-air/recirculate themselves, as needed. If you DON'T have all that fresh air coming in, the thermostat (set at min, 60F) will not likely click on as often or as long.

I experimented with this myself:
Set climate control to OFF and to recirculate, and set up a 12v plug-in mini-defroster. Worked GREAT; just a little fog at the furthest edge; and I stayed warm just with seat and steering wheel heater, and without all that cold air blowing on my feet; and more importantly, there was NO observable effect on battery drain on my commute! But the thing is noisy and ugly, sitting up there at the corner of the dash.

Hi,

My settings:

mode: Window+Feet
temp: 20C
A/C: on (it uses double less energy to heat (1,5-2kW) than if only heater is used (A/C off: 3-4kW))
air: recirculation (if not enough to defog front window then switch to "fresh air")

Then I just switch it on or off by "on/off" button.

As I found - this is less energy consuming mode at least when outside temperature is about 0C (if temp is set to lower 16C level then can even consume no energy). Usually it is enough for defog and comfortable heating, but some times (very high humidity) can be not enough to defog, then I switch to "fresh air" (it makes feet to feel little cold that why only if really needed).

Does anybody has better settings? (consuming less than 1,5kW at 20C inside)?

Den said:
Hi,

My settings:

mode: Window+Feet
temp: 20C
A/C: on (it uses double less energy to heat (1,5-2kW) than if only heater is used (A/C off: 3-4kW))
air: recirculation (if not enough to defog front window then switch to "fresh air")

Then I just switch it on or off by "on/off" button.

As I found - this is less energy consuming mode at least when outside temperature is about 0C (if temp is set to lower 16C level then can even consume no energy). Usually it is enough for defog and comfortable heating, but some times (very high humidity) can be not enough to defog, then I switch to "fresh air" (it makes feet to feel little cold that why only if really needed).

Does anybody has better settings? (consuming less than 1,5kW at 20C inside)?

So you must have the 2013 model? My 2012 model does not have the heat pump heater, only resistance heating, and with its window/feet mode, recirculate is not an option (with or without AC on). The heat pump is a nice idea for climates like Tokyo, where it doesn't get that cold. Here in the Northeast U.S., air-based heat pumps don't work much of the winter because you can't extract heat efficiently (or at all) when the temp is in low 20's F or lower (-6C or so).

willingp said:
Thanks--wasn't actually asking for an explanation, though (am aware of condensation principles). My experience in other cars is that you don't usually require fresh-air to defrost with just the heater (not using AC), unless the humidity is relatively high. I just wish Nissan didn't think owners were too dumb to be able to select fresh-air/recirculate themselves, as needed. .

I agree, we should have the option to recirculate, while defog the window. More than once I was at a stop light with a stinky big-old ICE in front of me, and I had to let "fresh" air in to defog the window. Just hated it. This is the reason I did not get the CC Upgrade, I do want that feature.

willingp said:
So you must have the 2013 model? My 2012 model does not have the heat pump heater, only resistance heating, and with its window/feet mode, recirculate is not an option (with or without AC on). The heat pump is a nice idea for climates like Tokyo, where it doesn't get that cold. Here in the Northeast U.S., air-based heat pumps don't work much of the winter because you can't extract heat efficiently (or at all) when the temp is in low 20's F or lower (-6C or so).

Hi,

I have 2012 model (at least I bought it in September 2012) with Nordic (Cold Weather) packet. It has steering wheel and seats heating installed by default and some battery heating. I don't know does it have heat pump, but users manual says: "use A/C when cold because it heats more efficiently than resistance heating". I tried it and it really heats with much less power consumption with A/C on. Do you think it means it have heat pump?
I bought it in Finland and here all Leafs are sold with this Nordic packet installed by default.

Today I tried to set temperature to 18C and it consumes about 1kW or even sometimes less. It was -1C outside.

Back