Can the passenger front window be converted to AUTO up/down?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanton

After looking through the service manual, I get the idea it MAY be impossible without significant re-wiring and/or the addition of hardware. Has anyone considered this or looked at it in more detail? I was hoping you might be able to "add" the same mechanism that the driver's side window uses, but it doesn't appear to be that simple.

I'd worry about safety...what if the driver triggered the auto up while the passenger's hand or head was in the way? Besides, the passenger has plenty of attention to give to raising or lowering the window.

davewill said:
I'd worry about safety...what if the driver triggered the auto up while the passenger's hand or head was in the way?
One would like to think pinch sensing would be standard equipment on all vehicles by now. A microcontroller monitors the current going to the window motor, and if it detects a spike (indicating increased motor load) before the window is fully closed, it will automatically open the window all the way.

Try it with a rolled up towel sometime.
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
davewill said:
I'd worry about safety...what if the driver triggered the auto up while the passenger's hand or head was in the way?
One would like to think pinch sensing would be standard equipment on all vehicles by now. A microcontroller monitors the current going to the window motor, and if it detects a spike (indicating increased motor load) before the window is fully closed, it will automatically open the window all the way.

Try it with a rolled up towel sometime.
=Smidge=
Yes, I'm sure it would stop short of decapitation, but I noticed you didn't suggest testing it with your hand. It would definitely hurt, and could still injure if it hit the wrong way on a wrist, finger, teeth, nose...

The reason I see for this feature is that when I am driving alone at low speeds I sometimes roll both front windows down to avoid using the air conditioner. When I get to my destination I can flick the switch for my window and be done with it, but I have to hold the passenger window switch up for what seems like forever waiting for it to slowly grind its way to the top. I end up either doing that while simultaneously negotiating my way into a parking space (not too wise) or sitting there waiting for it after I've stopped, because the window power dies if I open the door, and then I have to turn the car back on again to get it to continue.

Ray

davewill said:
Yes, I'm sure it would stop short of decapitation, but I noticed you didn't suggest testing it with your hand. It would definitely hurt, and could still injure if it hit the wrong way on a wrist, finger, teeth, nose...
I don't suggest testing it with your hand because I have no idea if your vehicle actually has them or not. :roll: Even if I did know for sure, there's no point in putting anyone in harm's way just to prove a point. Just because a handgun has a safety on it doesn't make it wise to point it at yourself and pull the trigger to demonstrate the safety works, do you agree?

I'm 99.99% sure my car has them (and they're on the fritz for the rear windows, since they sometimes roll themselves down when I try to close them normally!). I'll try it later this morning and post a video if it works :p

Edit:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlhQOZhErag[/youtube]
=Smidge=

To steer the conversation BACK to the original question (and away from decapitation talk--that's not going to happen): does anyone have any thoughts on HOW to add that functionality to the passenger side window?

As you yourself stated, it would likely take far too much work and expense to be worth it. You are looking at additional wiring, swapping out some components, and adding additional ones... It's not the safest technique, but I suppose you could cheat by adding a little logic board to the switch itself to create an up logic for a number of seconds when it is held for less than a second or so...

Stanton said:
To steer the conversation BACK to the original question (and away from decapitation talk--that's not going to happen): does anyone have any thoughts on HOW to add that functionality to the passenger side window?

The drivers side window switch seems to be a three position switch. If you pull up or prees down carefully. You can feel a second click.

Yes, it is. One position is auto and the other is momentary. One could also swap out the passenger's switch for that type and use it in conjunction with a home-brew logic board...

rawhog said:
The drivers side window switch seems to be a three position switch. If you pull up or prees down carefully. You can feel a second click.

It's that "home brew logic board" that worries me; I wish there were "extra" ports on the controller that runs the driver's side window. I can't believe these things aren't done with an individual (integrated) switch/chip.

rawhog said:
our PT Cruise has auto windows on both front windows. What's the big? :ugeek:
Both of our Altimas (2002 traded for LEAF, 2007 Hybrid) had/have auto windows on both sides. Really odd that Nissan didn't do the same in the LEAF.

I'd gotten into the habit of closing all windows by quickly flicking the front windows into auto up, then moving my fingers back to hold the other two switches and close the rear windows at the same time. Now I get frustrated when performing this maneuver out of habit in the LEAF, and ending up with one window still wide open. :x

Because it saved them 25 cents... The same reason that all but the Auto button is not lit.

baronvonshush said:
Both of our Altimas (2002 traded for LEAF, 2007 Hybrid) had/have auto windows on both sides. Really odd that Nissan didn't do the same in the LEAF.

TomT said:
Because it saved them 25 cents... The same reason that all but the Auto button is not lit.

baronvonshush said:
They have extra pins on the controller board. Why not use them for controlling the window? Also, that gives them the option of offering extra functionality through software, such as windows up/down through carwings.

garsh: now THAT'S what I was looking for...thanks! The parts cost isn't too bad, so I'm going to research your links and see if I can do it myself. Maybe someone else will give it a try as well.

Here's another post about adding this capability to a Lexus using the same Install Essentials 530T module.

This site also appears to be selling the 530T - they advertise the manufacture (Directed Electronics), but not the model number. I wanted to point it out because all of the reviews on that site are really positive.

Back