Hacking the Nav/MFD - Technical Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingineer

For some time, I've been tearing into the Clarion-built Navigation/MFD (Multi-Function Display) in the Leaf. I thought I would share some information for those that might be interesting in working on it and/or maybe collaborating on upgrades/mods.

Here's what I know about the unit:

It's powered by a 32bit Renesas SH-NaviJ2 (SH77722) CPU that is built from the ground up to be a Navigation Unit CPU:

blk-sh77722.gif

It is equipped with a built-in 3D graphics system (854×480 resolution), 8 megs of flash memory, 256k DDR2 SDRAM, two SD card slots (1 in use for map data), USB 2.0, SPI, dual CAN, etc.

My first (and so far only) Hack is to add a small microcontroller circuit to "fake" the OK button press as soon as the unit powers up:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU5co4PnCYM[/youtube]

Obviously this was accomplished without altering any code, but a more elegant way would be to patch the code to eliminate this (any several other) annoyances.

-Phil

Wow. Great information! Thanks!

One hack I would LOVE to see is a bluetooth hack that makes the LEAF activate directly into handsfree mode when you hit the phone (or speech) button on the steering wheel. That is to say, bypass any built in functionality and connect directly to the phone. This would make it MUCH easier to use Siri on the iPhone, or any other phone with better voice control than what's built in. What do you think the odds of being able to do that are?

Can I come be your understudy?

Ingineer said:
My first (and so far only) Hack is to add a small microcontroller circuit to "fake" the OK button press as soon as the unit powers up:
Very nice. And it looks like it genuinely "presses OK" not just bypassing it by simulating one of the physical buttons...

Now, the obligatory questions:

When can I get it?
How much will it cost?
What are it's dimensions?
Can you post a "how-to"?
Will it be "open"?
j/k :lol: :lol: :lol:

There, they've been asked - so nobody else ask, OK? Phil will reveal more when he's ready. Hounding him will do no good!

Now I'm fairly sure either Ingineer is not one person or he has lot more than 24 hours a day :lol:

If it is possible to patch the code, please also consider eliminating the "dowload additional data?" prompt when playing back RSS feeds.

Awesome!

Is the flash on the CPU or is it external? Hopefully it'll be easy to get at :)

Anything like JTAG or an ISP port on the board?

Since this is (presumably) a WinCE device, it would be nice if we could figure out how to break out of the Nissan application to the WinCE desktop. What we need are some Nissan service manuals. I know of at least one LEAF technician on the forums.

On a number of older Clarion WinCE sat navs, the password to access map and software update menu items is 200802, though I doubt this will help. I don't have my LEAF yet, so I have no way to dig into the menus and see if there's an option to enter a password. I'm sure Nissan isn't using stock Clarion software.

Depending on what signal and how the signal is received, I'm sure EVERYONE would love for the range map button on the steering wheel to be remapped to something useful... say the energy screen?

Of the 5-6 months I've owned my LEAF, the only time I have pulled up the range map is to show someone what that button did when asked.

However, I typically use the power screen on average every other time I drive the LEAF. Switching between that and other screens, a shortcut to get to it would be awesome.

UhClem said:
Awesome!

Is the flash on the CPU or is it external? Hopefully it'll be easy to get at :)

Anything like JTAG or an ISP port on the board?

Yes, it's external flash, and it appears there are several debug/programming ports, one easily accessible on the rear of the unit without even needing to dismantle anything.

pic

You can see the 2 SDRAM chips to the upper left, the Flash lower left, the CPU middle, and the lower right chip is an FPGA.

-Phil

You have a complete PC with CAN bus IO, right?

So, couldn't you replace the LEAFSCAN device with just special software running in the NAV/MFD computer instead?

TEG said:
You have a complete PC with CAN bus IO, right?

So, couldn't you replace the LEAFSCAN device with just special software running in the NAV/MFD computer instead?

Of course, but development of such is a monumental task. First we have to reverse engineer everything that's being done now in the Clarion unit, then write our own equivalents. Then once we have the basic functions restored, then we code in new displays, etc.

Obviously this is why I'm presenting this information to everyone, as this is such a large undertaking, I cannot do it myself.

I've done a lot of projects like this, and I can tell you it's not easy. Anyone who uses words like "simple" and "easy" is disillusioned.

I've pretty much had to give up all my other jobs because these projects for the Leaf consume all my waking moments, but as such, I still need to be able to eke out a living. I'm not retired or wealthy, so I simply cannot afford to work full-time and just give it all away. If Gary wants to split his retirement nest egg with me, I'll be happy to reconsider! :D

Until then, I need to be able to reach a happy medium, and sell enough stuff to pay the bills. If that happens, then I can keep working full-time for the Leaf and EV community in general, as it's something I really believe in. If someone expects me to simply give away my hard work or allow it to be stolen, I won't be able to make a living and I'll have to leave this community and return to consulting where I can make decent money.

I hope people understand my position and don't think I'm not sharing everything because I'm simply "being mean" or greedy.

I fully intend to open everything up once my work has paid for itself, as I believe community collaboration is extremely valuable.

-Phil

We really appreciate all the time and intelligence you put into this, Phil...

TEG said:
We really appreciate all the time and intelligence you put into this, Phil...
+100

I think folks were just thinking it would be great if we COULD get LeafScan functionality to run on the Nav system itself... I'd say it would make a much better function to bring up from the "range map" button on the steering wheel. We could call it the "Ingineer" button. Or the "MNL" button (if it was a MNL community project). But I agree it would be a huge undertaking.

It might be better to simply look forward to future cars that will (hopefully) have a more "open" platform for additional apps. Sounds a lot like what we went through in the phone space, though clearly some platforms are more "open" (and hackable) than others...

Phil just so I understand correctly, is the work you are doing 1-way? That is, taking in car data and manipulating the output to provide more detailed feedback to the driver or can you make changes that will affect drivability? Such as increased regen, revised throttle map, disabling stability control etc.

nader said:
Phil just so I understand correctly, is the work you are doing 1-way? That is, taking in car data and manipulating the output to provide more detailed feedback to the driver or can you make changes that will affect drivability? Such as increased regen, revised throttle map, disabling stability control etc.
Right now all the stuff I'm doing with LEAFSCAN is mainly focused on reading things from the Leaf with limited return control. (Such as selecting a SoC point to stop charging other than 80%) I fully intend on offering more enhancements in the future for the things you mention. I've already figured out how to drastically improve some performance aspects of the Leaf, but it needs to be done in a safe manner, so there is still lots of testing and development needed. Right now I'm concentrating on getting the LEAFSCAN out there so you have proper instrumentation, then we'll go from there.

I know many people are champing at the bit for all these things, but I can only do what I can do. If you really want to speed things up, I'm still on the lookout for some assistance (Paid, of course) with the LEAFSCAN's housing and injection molding work, both actual production and the CAD work for the design and tooling. :D (email me if you have some ideas)

I'm also having a surprising amount of difficulty locating a few of the proper components needed in China. (Which unfortunately is the only choice now)

-Phil

Back