Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:10 pm

This is a prototype unit running Alpha software, and so far only has basic functions. More to come!

The LEAFSCAN™ will give you access to almost any parameter from your LEAF you'd like to see, and also supports logging, updates, and user customization all via SD card.

Some of the parameters include true SOC (with 5 digit precision!), Volts, Amps, Individual Lithium Ion battery cell parameters, battery health, temperatures, number of charges, number of QC's, indicator light history, software revision listing, motor torque/Horsepower, total kilowatts used/charged, last drive kW, last charge kW, and many more! Since the unit can be updated by the user simply by downloading a file from the web, new features and capabilities can be added. Custom alarms will be able to be set on any parameter, so that you are alerted when items of interest hit certain values.

LEAFSCAN™ can also read and reset all DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes), there is nothing else that can do this except the $10,000 Consult III+ scantools that the Nissan Dealers use. Can also be used to set the "secret" dealer-only settings.

Eventually we hope to have the unit allow custom settings for your car, such as allowing you to dial in the SOC you'd like to charge to instead of only being limited to 80 or 100%.

We are working on this as fast as possible, and we will announce on our web site when the LEAFSCAN™ is available. Please drop us a message with your email address and request to be added to LEAFSCAN™ email list, that way we can contact you when we begin taking orders. (Hopefully soon!)

The prototype unit is almost exactly the size of a credit card, and significantly thinner than the Leaf's keyfob. (appx. 3/8") Note: All specifications subject to change!

-Phil

EDIT: To be clear: I do NOT want deposits, orders, or prepayments at this time. We are working hard to finalize hardware and determine costs, and which number of units we will make initially. This is tricky, which is why I asked for feedback on other potential options. If people can pre-order (not yet!) that will give us an idea of how many units we can afford to make, and the more we make, the cheaper they are. I cannot give any numbers at this time, please understand that. I'd like to ask that people spend a few minutes reading the thread instead of having me stop working to answer the same stuff over and over. Please continue to give me feedback on your thoughts and ideas though, I definitely want to be sure that this is a great device!
Last edited by Ingineer on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Re: LEAFSCAN - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:15 pm

How does it interface to the car? I like where you mounted it on top of the mirror but wonder how it has to be cabled...

Any hints on the price point?

(I've said this before but Nissan is an idiot for not hiring Phil to work on Leaf development...)
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier. Model 3 reserved.

davewill

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Now that's what I want!. Since you intend to allow settings, I assume there's input. Buttons, touch screen, or ?? for the input? Also, is the power/regen bar any different from the pie shaped one on the energy screen...or the dots on the dash for that matter?
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

QueenBee
Delivery Date: 20 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2062

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Very nice! Will this design be open?

One thing that our local group has mentioned is using bluetooth to communicate with a phone instead of needing a display.

TomT

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:26 pm

I would prefer NOT to have to use my phone for a variety of technical, logistical and practical reasons. I much prefer a dedicated display such as this...
QueenBee wrote:One thing that our local group has mentioned is using bluetooth to communicate with a phone instead of needing a display.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Ingineer

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:30 pm

TomT wrote:How does it interface to the car? I like where you mounted it on top of the mirror but wonder how it has to be cabled...
It connects to the DLC3 connector under the dash, and has a low-profile right-angle connector. The cord is thin and flexible and long enough to easily reach the mirror (my favorite location).

TomT wrote:Any hints on the price point?
Still sourcing parts, including injection moldings and other things with large NRE costs, so I can't speculate until we know what we're up against. I'm going to make it as affordable as I can and still allow us to have success in the Leaf's limited market.

TomT wrote:(I've said this before but Nissan is an idiot for not hiring Phil to work on Leaf development...)
Not sure I'd want to, as they seem to be pretty inflexible. I probably wouldn't have the freedom to do all these fun things! =)

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

Ingineer

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:36 pm

davewill wrote:Now that's what I want!. Since you intend to allow settings, I assume there's input. Buttons, touch screen, or ?? for the input? Also, is the power/regen bar any different from the pie shaped one on the energy screen...or the dots on the dash for that matter?
Right now the prototype has buttons, but I'll probably switch to a rotary encoder (knob-type) that lets you scroll faster and more intuitively. The screen is really a bit too small for a touchscreen interface, and it would increase the cost quite a bit.

The analog bar graph is much more responsive and sensitive than anything in the car now. There's still a lot of software work going on, but it currently has the capability to update faster than the screen can. (and most definitely your eyes!) The bargraph/kW/amps are true readings, that show you everything, not just the motor.

Ultimately you'll be able to define what parameters you want to see, and choose the size of the text, as well as add analog bargraphs for them.

-Phil

Ready2plugin

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:38 pm

Keep having fun Phil, keep having fun!

Can't wait!!

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Sounds splendid.

Where is the Battery Temperature seen?
Are there 4 of them, or just one?

Did you find the 4 tire pressures in the CAN data?

Thanks, Gary
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

TomT

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:40 pm

No argument there since we all benefit from the results of your "fun!"
Ingineer wrote:
TomT wrote:(I've said this before but Nissan is an idiot for not hiring Phil to work on Leaf development...)
Not sure I'd want to, as they seem to be pretty inflexible. I probably wouldn't have the freedom to do all these fun things! =)

Return to “Accessories / Mods”