Towable Turbine Powered CHAdeMO Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkStar

Wow, someone is definitely holding out on us! Speak up and provide some details as this looks awesome!

(Source: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/1367-Towable-Generators?p=95919&viewfull=1#post95919)

capgen.jpg

DarkStar said:
TonyWilliams said:
Yes.... except it's not a ChaDeMo charger.
Hmm... The connecter sure looks like a CHAdeMO one...

Yes, it is a ChaDeMo connector. The charger did not come with ChaDeMo protocols.

Check out these chargers:

http://www.manzanitamicro.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

91040 said:
So one can DC charge through the CHAdeMO port without using CHAdeMo protocols?

He is using a connection between the front of the battery pack and the inverter. He intends to bypass the protocols, but there are limits to max power to prevent battery protections from kicking in.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=155656#p155656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then this approach could be used with a DC charger powered on 240V at low enough amps to avoid the CA utility's demand charge?

91040 said:
Then this approach could be used with a DC charger powered on 240V at low enough amps to avoid the CA utility's demand charge?

Anything that keeps the 15 minute average below 20kW (in San Diego, up to 30kW in some markets elsewhere in California).

ChaDeMo provides safety protocols. Not wise to bypass that for curb to car charging.

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

91040 said:
What safety protocols does he use with this and why couldn't they be designed into a DC charger?

I honestly don't know. Phil would be to the guy to ask. I didn't spend more than just a few minutes looking this over.

When I saw the equivalent of an aircraft APU on the trailer, all I could see was numerous failures :mrgreen:

TonyWilliams said:
Yes, it is a ChaDeMo connector. The charger did not come with ChaDeMo protocols.

Check out these chargers:
http://www.manzanitamicro.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ahh yes, I've spoke with Rich a few times over at Manzanita Micro.

TonyWilliams said:
He is using a connection between the front of the battery pack and the inverter. He intends to bypass the protocols, but there are limits to max power to prevent battery protections from kicking in.
And that answers my next immediate question, now I really can't wait to hear more from Phil! :D

I think Phil mentioned that the LEAF main power connection (pack to inverter) seems to allow up to about 27kW of extra power to show up from "somewhere else" (e.g., his trailer generator) without causing an error condition. I would bet it confuses the DTE/GOM even more if the battery seems to be recharging itself as you drive. Phil is working on interfacing with the car electronics (CAN bus) to make it more cooperative about what is happening to the car, not just sneaking some extra power in there.

I would say it is a preliminary work in progress / proof-of-concept right now and still needs a bit more work before it is properly integrated.

He also mentioned an estimated highway MPG value, which I don't recall exactly... I think it was mid 30s. You lose efficiency going engine->generator->inverter->motor->wheels instead of just engine->transmission->wheels like a Prius (or even Volt) does.
This combo vehicle probably isn't the best thing for long distance trips, but it does provide a way for someone to occasionally take the longer trip, and then use the LEAF as intended (EV only) once in another city where you drop off the trailer.

It could also be super handy to go rescue someone who ran low of power, and could benefit from a visit from a portable quick charger.

TEG said:
He also mentioned an estimated highway MPG value, which I don't recall exactly... I think it was mid 30s. You lose efficiency going engine->generator->inverter->motor->wheels instead of just engine->transmission->wheels like a Prius (or even Volt) does.
If we think EV efficiency from wall to wheels is 80% - serial range extender can be more efficient if that 20% loss is more than made up by running the engine at a constant load. I can imagine someone in the future creating an engine specifically meant for serial range extension that makes it efficient enough to challenge Prius efficiency.

So said Fisker, then they ended up with 20MPG highway on gasoline for the Karma... :(

Phil posted details below, no need to "guess" any longer.

All I can say is, wow Phil, I'd like one in the Boston area, when you prove the concept.
I think this could be a game changer for the Leaf, and certainly make up for the lack of DC Fast chargers in most of the country, a few dozen of these scattered in major US cities would make a huge difference until the "actual" DC fast chargers could be deployed, and as we can see, thats not going all that quickly even on the West coast, never mind the East coast and the rest of the country.

Thanks for your pioneering work and vision, perhaps you can partner up with someone when you are ready to mfr and produce these, someone with deep pockets of course, this is way beyond what a normal "hobbyist" or "enthusiast" would come up with.

Back