Seat Extender Brackets?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

folla

Since I'm 6'5" the legroom on my Leaf is a little tight - probably not the end of the world given the Leaf's range but if I could get another couple of inches for a reasonable price I'd consider it. I've looked around a bit for a seat bracket extender and found one company that makes something for the Prius, Rav4 and Porsche (www.extendmyseat.com). Nothing for the Leaf yet but it sounds like they might consider it.

Anyone know of any other companies with a similar product?

Thanks.

I too would like this! I'm 6'3". with two kids, affordable, easy to clean seat covers are even higher on the list! This fabric absorbs everything!

g

folla said:
Since I'm 6'5" the legroom on my Leaf is a little tight - probably not the end of the world given the Leaf's range but if I could get another couple of inches for a reasonable price I'd consider it. I've looked around a bit for a seat bracket extender and found one company that makes something for the Prius, Rav4 and Porsche (http://www.extendmyseat.com). Nothing for the Leaf yet but it sounds like they might consider it.

Thanks.

Pretty easy to make your own. I used a couple of pieces of 3/16 by 3inch wide steel plate about 23 inches long. Round the ends to match the curve of the seat mounts. On the one next to the center console, you may have to trim it to fit the console. Drill four holes in each. Two to line up with the seat holes in the floor and two 1 1/2 inches to the rear of each standard location hole. Then you bolt the plates to the floor with original seat bolts ( a couple washers underneath so you are not relying entirely on comressed carpet) before you bolt them down, put a couple 3/8 bolts sticking up through the other holes (use lock washers unless you can tack weld them) and attach the seat with those, using washers and 3/8 nuts.
(No Warraties here - try my way at your own risk)

Thanks for the info - it inspired me to do a little more web searching. I found another approach for a Honda Pilot involving a couple of short u-channel pieces for the front mounts and spacers/u-channel used for the back mounts. I'll have to take a look at which approach looks best for the Leaf.

awiegel said:
folla said:
Since I'm 6'5" the legroom on my Leaf is a little tight - probably not the end of the world given the Leaf's range but if I could get another couple of inches for a reasonable price I'd consider it. I've looked around a bit for a seat bracket extender and found one company that makes something for the Prius, Rav4 and Porsche (http://www.extendmyseat.com). Nothing for the Leaf yet but it sounds like they might consider it.

Thanks.

Pretty easy to make your own. I used a couple of pieces of 3/16 by 3inch wide steel plate about 23 inches long. Round the ends to match the curve of the seat mounts. On the one next to the center console, you may have to trim it to fit the console. Drill four holes in each. Two to line up with the seat holes in the floor and two 1 1/2 inches to the rear of each standard location hole. Then you bolt the plates to the floor with original seat bolts ( a couple washers underneath so you are not relying entirely on comressed carpet) before you bolt them down, put a couple 3/8 bolts sticking up through the other holes (use lock washers unless you can tack weld them) and attach the seat with those, using washers and 3/8 nuts.
(No Warraties here - try my way at your own risk)

I guess I'm just too used to cramming my 6' 9" frame into dinky modern cars...! I certainly wouldn't say the Leaf's legroom is wonderful but it is adequate for me. Of course, I have to sit up real straight and not slouch.

A mitigating factor is the fact that our Leaf is officially my wife's car. If I drove it everyday, I'd probably do something like awiegel suggested.

Scott

little1406 said:
I guess I'm just too used to cramming my 6' 9" frame into dinky modern cars...! I certainly wouldn't say the Leaf's legroom is wonderful but it is adequate for me. Of course, I have to sit up real straight and not slouch.
Scott
+1 from a 6' 5"-er. I love the headroom and if the seat went back much more, reaching the steering wheel would not be comfortable.

nogajim said:
little1406 said:
Scott
+1 from a 6' 5"-er. I love the headroom and if the seat went back much more, reaching the steering wheel would not be comfortable.

I did find that when you move the seat back farther than the stock position, you wind up setting the backrest more vertical. Reminds me of a Fiat Spyder I had once.

I have two sons, 6'5" and 6'7" they like it set back the full inch and half. I'm only 6'2" but I still find it much more comfortable to have the seat slightly further back than stock.

When my wife drives it, she just scoots it forward. There is plenty of travel even when the frame of reference is moved back. I can not imagine anyone needing it as far forward as it goes in stock form.

Andrew

Hi all,
I'm taking my Leaf to Griff @ Extendmyseat.com this Tuesday (Nov 1st). He'll be making a template from my car. So, for all us tall Leaf owners (I'm 6'7"), we should be good to go!

Cheers!
Dave

DaveKing said:
Hi all,
I'm taking my Leaf to Griff @ Extendmyseat.com this Tuesday (Nov 1st). He'll be making a template from my car. So, for all us tall Leaf owners (I'm 6'7"), we should be good to go!

Cheers!
Dave

Thanks Dave - they are accepting pre-orders and I made one. Expected release date Nov 29. http://extendmyseat.com/brands/Nissan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi everyone. We have completed the production template for the Nissan LEAF. Orders will be shipping out within 3 weeks.

We installed the first set on Monday and the LEAF owner was very excited. Production will start next week.

extendmyseat said:
Hi everyone. We have completed the production template for the Nissan LEAF. Orders will be shipping out within 3 weeks.

We installed the first set on Monday and the LEAF owner was very excited. Production will start next week.

How about a forum discount....

extendmyseat said:

Could you please post the total offset and if the extra bolts are included? Looks in the photo like a quality piece of work. Did you calculate the bending loads at the offset mount points when selecting the steel gauge?

I'll send separately to your email address, but thought the forum readers would also be interested in the answers.

Thank you!

Since this forum has already produced some great insight; I have added a 10% discount for all LEAF order during the pre-order time-frame(until 11/29/11).

Please use "extendmyleaf" code on extendmyseat.com to receive a 10% discount.

For everyone that has already pre-ordered, we unfortunately can't refund the discount amount but could offer you a store credit. E-mail for more information.

We look forward to helping out the tall people.

Griff

HighDesertDriver said:
Could you please post the total offset and if the extra bolts are included? Looks in the photo like a quality piece of work. Did you calculate the bending loads at the offset mount points when selecting the steel gauge?

I'll send separately to your email address, but thought the forum readers would also be interested in the answers.

Thank you!

Yes, The total offset is 4" for the brackets. 4 new bolts are included in the box as well as the 10 gauge brackets and instruction manual(everything you need besides a wrench).

The quality is amazing and meticulously engineered(a process video will be going up on the website over the weekend). We start with a single piece of 10 gauge steel and cut each bracket using out multimillion dollar laser machine. Then, we bend and weld the nuts to the brackets and powder coat paint the brackets in our paint shop. The bend loads and mounting points were all custom engineered in-house.

I've been with my new seat extender for about a week now, here is my letter to the owner of extendmyseat.com

Hi Griffin,
Thanks for extending the seat rails on my 2011 Nissan Leaf! I’m 6’7” and my Leaf, while quite roomy, was still pretty tight leg room wise. Your seat rail extenders have not only given me more leg room, but I now have more thigh support, which really helps my back. I live in Long Beach and work in Hollywood and my new found leg room has transformed my six day a week commute into an enjoyable experience. Imagine that! On a side note, the driver’s seat now extends back 5 inches, which might sound excessive, but it’s actually quite functional. If I’m out and about and need a quick battery top off, I simply find a charger, plug in, slide my seat all the way back, and work on my laptop while my car charges. All the room in the world. It’s really cool! To all the tall Leaf owners out there, (or those who just want more leg room) these seat extenders are quite simply a “must have” upgrade.

Regards,

David King Glidden
Property Master
Cirque Du Soleil

The seat rail extenders have really helped! I highly recommend doing the mod.

Cheers,
Dave

I didn't see this in time to get the discount, but did order a driver side set yesterday and it is on the way. I expect it will make the drive much more comfortable.

Got mine, they look VERY solid.

Too cold/dark to install after work. Perhaps this weekend.

Back