Front parking light bulb access?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

I've changed out most of the incandescent bulbs on my Leaf for LEDs but still have the front parking lights to do (the one next to the headlight in the enclosure). The owners manual shows that it should be easy to do but the drawing in the manual does not at all match what I see under the hood. (The manual drawings are universally terrible - couldn't they afford a camera?!) Has anyone done this and thus can impart some wisdom as to how one removes the socket?

By the way, I've had very good success using these http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/CornerSide-Marker-LED/White-LED/2-WHITE-5K-SMT-HIGH-POWER-p6985865.html#ReviewsTabAnchor for the W5W replacement lamps.

Open the hood and reach in behind where the light would end, you should feel the bulb holder, just twist to unlock (i think counter clockwise). Don't bother changing them, you can't really tell the difference because of the orange plastic and they are pretty low power bulbs. I've tried a few different leds there, I am currently using the amber side turn signal bulbs because I replaced those with leds.

Thanks, but actually I am referring to the clear bulb that is visible from the front of the car when you look in to the headlight assembly with the parking or head lights on. It is to the center of the car from the LED section of the head light. This is the front parking light and is not amber. I'd like to change to an LED so that the color temperature matches the LED headlights.

cashu2 said:
Open the hood and reach in behind where the light would end, you should feel the bulb holder, just twist to unlock (i think counter clockwise). Don't bother changing them, you can't really tell the difference because of the orange plastic and they are pretty low power bulbs. I've tried a few different leds there, I am currently using the amber side turn signal bulbs because I replaced those with leds.

I dont know if the UK leaf is much different to the US leaf, but if you are referring to the side lights (w5w bulb next to high beam) inside the main light enclosure, simply unscrew the large cap on the side of the light, the little bulb is the first bulb you come to, you twist it 90degrees and it pops out.

The high beam bulb is further in, nearer the back of the enclosure.

Yep, that was it. I turned the large black cap about an 1/8 of a turn CCW and it came off. Then I turned the parking light holder directly behind it about 1/8 turn CCW and it too came out easily. I inserted the W5W LED bulb in to the holder, checking that the polarity was correct (i.e.: it lit), and inserted it back in the hole, turning 1/8 turn CW to lock it. I placed the large black cap back on and turned it about 1/8 of a turn CW to lock it. All done! Total time for both sides, about 5 minutes. It now looks MUCH better since the headlight and the parking light have the same light quality and color temperature!

daleph said:
I dont know if the UK leaf is much different to the US leaf, but if you are referring to the parking lights (w5w bulb next to high beam) inside the main light enclosure, simply unscrew the large cap on the side of the light, the little bulb is the first bulb you come to, you twist it 90degrees and it pops out.

The high beam bulb is further in, nearer the back of the enclosure.

Back