Nissan LEAF R/C model car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricVehicle

I'm starting a new thread for the Nissan LEAF R/C model car, which started off topic in another thread.
Packet said:
I got my LEAF today! Unfortunately, it was only my little toy placeholder LEAF, which will sit on my desk to tide me over until the real one comes.

But on the plus side, the toy LEAF included a little toy EVSE, so at least I can pretend-charge my toy car. Though that's the biggest charging plug I've ever seen. (Maybe it's meant to be CHAdeMO? If so, hey, at least L3's being rolled out somewhere, even if it's just in toyland. :lol:)

toyleaf.jpg

It's actually a Mini-Z LIT shell; I'm pretty sure a couple others on the forum have one too. Since they're available in all the colors, you can even get one to match your ordered car! Though I'm afraid they don't have an SV option; all of them have the little solar panel on the spoiler, so clearly you're stuck with an SL. ;)

Generally, a good shell is around $30. An empty shell usually comes with a little placeholder base (with wheels locked into a straight-line position like a Hot Wheels car), so even without putting it on a Mini-Z a shell makes a decent (if absurdly lightweight) little desk-toy.

Unfortunately, none of the US resellers for Mini-Z stuff seem to carry it because LIT isn't as popular as the other platforms, so I had to order it from a Japanese hobby site for about $50 + shipping for just the shell. I could've gotten a 'Readyset' -- the whole thing in one box -- but it would've run me well over $200. And I just wanted a desk toy, so the fact that I don't have a LIT to swap the shell onto didn't bother me. Still, it does look like it makes a fun little RC car when you put the whole thing together.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DMH1O1ehdA[/youtube]
ElectricVehicle said:
Cool! I want one! May get delivered before my full size LEAF.

Does it come with the NAV system and charger locations in the NAV system? It might show only the Japanese Nissan dealers chargers and not the US or UK ones. ;) :)

I see it also comes standard with it's own Ultra Quick Charge station , no installation or permitting required! Even more portable than Phil's EVSE Upgrade! Plug In anywhere!

Which Japanese site and how do you order? May need to lear Japanese!

Nice video. Imagine talking about the LEAF to a classroom full of kids and then you pull out this mini electric car and demonstrate charging and driving through the city of enormous water bottles!! The the kids walk outside and see the real thing. Parked of course. After delivery of course.
Packet said:
ElectricVehicle said:
Does it come with the NAV system and charger locations in the NAV system? It might show only the Japanese Nissan dealers chargers and not the US or UK ones. ;) :)
Alas, it doesn't seem to have NAV. Or Carwings. :lol:
Which Japanese site and how do you order? May need to lear Japanese!
Looks like BanzaiHobby has all five colors of the LEAF shell in their AutoScale selection: http://banzaihobby.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18_414_430 -- as an added benefit with them, though you're ordering from Japan, it does have an English site there. Also, at $36 for the shell, that's cheaper than the other places I found. (Apparently I should have price-shopped more thoroughly.)

Nice video. Imagine talking about the LEAF to a classroom full of kids and then you pull out this mini electric car and demonstrate charging and driving through the city of enormous water bottles!! The the kids walk outside and see the real thing. Parked of course. After delivery of course.
Hee! Yes, I imagine the Readyset version of the LEAF kit (not, sadly, available from BanzaiHobby) would make a great educational tool for EV evangelists, I imagine! :)
Manufacturer's blog on the Nissan LEAF model car kyoshoblog-en

I also found it for ordering on the Nissan Online Shop Japan website. I couldn't identify a link to view the website in english.
Here's a Google translation of Google translation of Nissan Online Shop Japan .

ElectricVehicle said:
I also found it for ordering on the Nissan Online Shop Japan website. I couldn't identify a link to view the website in english.

While it can be ordered there, I should warn you that it's Not Cheap; the Readyset version of the Mini-Z LEAF (which is what Nissan Online Shop Japan is selling) is about $245 at current exchange rate, and then there's still shipping and customs. This is why I just went 'eh, I just want a desk toy' and bought the cheaper shell, not the whole R/C car. :)

If you really want one, it might be less hassle to go to your local hobby shop that does R/C cars, and have them special-order it from Kyosho's catalog for you... at least, assuming distributor cost is that much less than what you find it for online.

Very cool! But for $250 I am going to hold out for Tamiya to make a full RC kit of the Nismo LEAF.

Packet said:
While it can be ordered there, I should warn you that it's Not Cheap; the Readyset version of the Mini-Z LEAF (which is what Nissan Online Shop Japan is selling) is about $245 at current exchange rate, and then there's still shipping and customs. This is why I just went 'eh, I just want a desk toy' and bought the cheaper shell, not the whole R/C car. :)

If you really want one, it might be less hassle to go to your local hobby shop that does R/C cars, and have them special-order it from Kyosho's catalog for you... at least, assuming distributor cost is that much less than what you find it for online.
I'll have to poke around some hobby shops and see what they can do then. I really would like to have a working Quick Charger, even if it is only for the R/C model! Besides even the cats would love the R/C car, though they might put a Godzilla style crunch on the paint if they catch and bite it! :eek:

TRONZ said:
Very cool! But for $250 I am going to hold out for Tamiya to make a full RC kit of the Nismo LEAF.
Oooh, that WOULD be sweet. Even better if the Nismo was also LIT so we could swap bodies from the LEAF to the Nismo and back... Something I wish my real LEAF could do!! :)

ElectricVehicle said:
Packet said:

I'll have to poke around some hobby shops and see what they can do then. I really would like to have a working Quick Charger, even if it is only for the R/C model! Besides even the cats would love the R/C car, though they might put a Godzilla style crunch on the paint if they catch and bite it! :eek:
I just called Inside Line Racing since they are a Mini-Z race track shop at Vallco, and they're going to look into it. It sounds like the Readyset should be about $199, plus the LEAF body. I can report back what I find out, but for others in the Silicon Valley area, either PM me here or call them and let them know you're also interested. Maybe we could get them to do a (discounted?) group purchase. Then we could all meet at Vallco sometime to race!!

Those look awesome. A little too much moola though. (just a wee bit)

I just ordered a mini diecast LEAF off of ebay for my 3 year old who keeps saying he wants a Blue LEAF.

Well.... Dad's getting a red LEAF - now he can have his little blue LEAF of his own. :)

lemketron said:
I just called Inside Line Racing since they are a Mini-Z race track shop at Vallco, and they're going to look into it. It sounds like the Readyset should be about $199, plus the LEAF body. I can report back what I find out, but for others in the Silicon Valley area, either PM me here or call them and let them know you're also interested. Maybe we could get them to do a (discounted?) group purchase. Then we could all meet at Vallco sometime to race!!
If they're willing to sell to more distant folks in the group purchase, I'd actually consider going in on a group buy as well. I'm not going to bother getting a LIT for this shell on my own, but to support a group buy I'd do it. Plus, hey, could get another color to go with my black one. ;)

ElectricVehicle said:
Though that's the biggest charging plug I've ever seen. (Maybe it's meant to be CHAdeMO?
Looks to me like an accurate-scale model of the "all-in-one" connector they want to use here in the U.S. I'll have to hang on to this picture help explain why we prefer CHAdeMO.

lemketron said:

I was just about to click on the "checkout" button on the Nissan Japan website! :eek: I'll hold off on buying the ready set for a week, would love to participate for a group buy and have a go at it at Vallco. :)

Put together two RC cars years ago, and had been itching to get myself a mini Z for quite some time. Never pulled the trigger because I haven't decided on which chassis to get. ;)

I'd be in for one.

lemketron said:

mogur said:
I'd be in for one.

lemketron said:
+1 on getting the RC LEAF--what a great teaching tool. :cool:

Just a bit of an update for those who are interested:

The ready-set is only available on the Nissan website, and they don't ship overseas. The only way to get it would be to use one of the proxy purchasing service where you get a Japan PO box and they ship the product to you, adding an additional cost of $60 or so. For $300 that'll be a bit too much.

If you come across any Kyosho Mini-Z Lit ready set, they can work with the Leaf shell right out of the box, but the cool charging feature would not be possible. The shell doesn't come with a working charging assembly. Other ready sets come with a charger that requires you to take the battery out to re-charge.

There are many different types of Mini-Z out there, the only type that will work with the Leaf is the type called "Mini-Z Lit" which is much smaller than the regular Mini-Z chassis.

I was in Japan for a day and was lucky enough to stumble across a Mini-Z Lit ready set (Mini Cooper model) selling for $60. Looks like they aren't selling well. I'll keep an eye out for anything similar online.

I'm in Tokyo with a week to kill. Any idea where I could find one of these? I found the little die-cast models at one of the big stores in Akihabara. I asked about the little hot-wheel type Tomy cars. They show up in their system but the Leaf model won't be available until September. I looked for an R/C car but couldn't find anything.
I haven't seen a real Leaf here at all and the local dealer did not seem to have a public charger available.

Hope I'm not too late to reply. In the Akihabara area there are three places dedicated to RC and have great Mini-Z selection.

The one I recommend is the first store listed - Rakusai Model. They are selling the Mini-Z Lit full set for 5000 yen only! And the Leaf shells are 2200 yen. Which means for 7200 yen you can have a remote controlled Leaf. Though it wouldn't have the special plug-in feature that the special order ready set would have.

Rakusai Model
rakuseimodel.co.jp
http://maps.google.com/maps?authuser=0&vps=2&ie=UTF8&cid=8601170412670853777
* The Mini-Z Lit sets are hidden on the very bottom left corner on the display rack. Also, check out the newer Mini-Z sets and DNAno sets located at the front counter.

Super Rajikon
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207322565633188799053.0004a578d8e4b00f934d8&msa=0&ll=35.702823,139.774354&spn=0.008991,0.016758

RC Advisor
rc-champ.co.jp
http://maps.google.com/maps?authuser=0&vps=2&ie=UTF8&cid=17131362832129719482

I ordered a Leaf model from Bonsai Hobby and got 3 of them for $116.00. I didn't notice the error until they were shipped I would like to sell 2 of these little blue orphan Leafs at cost. No mark up on these orphans! :D I was going to make one R/C but it just looks great on my desk as is.

I now own two orphan Ocean Blue LEAF's.

My full size VIN 0662 and the model I pickup from JohnnySebring yesterday in Seattle. Great conversation item for my home office desk.

Again, Thanks for making one of your two orphans available.

BLUEH20

Packet said:
ElectricVehicle said:

Darn... I guess we missed out, as we couldn't find anyone to order it here, and didn't find a way to order it from Japan. Now it appears that the R/C Leaf is no longer available from the Nissan Online Shop Japan, as clicking on the above link and then clicking on one of the cars pulls up a page that says (in Japanese) "We're sorry. Specify or discontinued items, and items you can not handle right now." :-(

Back