lion
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Re: HOW TO: Make the VSP (noisemaker) button default to off

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:27 am

That looks like a really clever but simple solution. While I'm pretty comfortable soldering my own DIY projects, I'm not brave enough to touch the PCBs in my car with a soldering gun (or set fire to the upper atmosphere).

Was it a big pain to remove that board? Wondering what the cost of that board is, maybe doing this mod is another service you can offer ;)

Anyways, I'll take a closer look at it this weekend, while I would prefer to go the analog circuit route, I might go the speaker-relay route if soldering is just too much of a risk.

iluvmacs
Delivery Date: 20 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 411121

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:50 pm

Ingineer wrote:The circuit I described earlier in this post disables the Reverse beep and the VSP sound, but leaves all other beeps. You can still manually enable the VSP whenever you want it, but it defaults to off. The entire circuit is installed inside the VSP box.

Of course you'll need some familiarity with basic electronic components to construct it.

-Phil

I hereby confirm that Phil's circuit works properly in the 2013 Leaf. I just moved the one I built from my now-gone '12 to my new '13. As his diagram shows, the module moved slightly, it now has 3 screws instead of 2 holding the case together (gasp!), and the circuit board is updated in ways you aren't likely to notice. This also means that anyone could also still implement a typical momentary switch to ground out pin 5 to toggle VSP on and off. I never want it on, so I just put in the circuit and call it a day...
Delivered 6/22/13: 2013 SV+LED/QC+Prem, Blue Ocean
Loved 12/20/11-6/22/13: 2012 SL #15733 (orphan), Blue Ocean, lifetime 4.8 mi/kWh (11,356 mi). First Leaf in Wisconsin!
2013 Tesla Model S 85, blue

Wisconsin Leaf/EV owner? Join our group!

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357

Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:15 pm

I just acquired a 2013 Leaf SL. since I do not want the blind warning disabled but I hate the backup, I added a mute relay.

This time I cut the outside speaker wire from the module at pin 8. I added a pair of wires in series with pin 8. I then fed the wire through the loom grommet on the upper drivers side. The backup wire is a green wire coming out of the relay pod. I tapped into this wire and connected the wire to one of the coil wires of a "bosch" type relay. The other coil went to the chassis.The wires from the cut pin 8 go to common and the normally closed contact,

The module checks its connections at power up so so you can not just cut the wire if you want the internal warning beeps. I may be in the minority, but I think the low speed swishing sound is good.
2012 Cayenne Red SL traded for:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body Jan2I will be 71Wow
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e

ataman
Delivery Date: 30 Jul 2013

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:08 pm

Ingineer wrote:
raja33 wrote:Is there a simple way to cut the wire to the VSP speaker. I understand that it would disable charging and other beeps - I am of the opinion the fewer noises the better.

I looked under the hood and couldn't spot the speaker in the vicinity of the left front bumper.

My vehicle is leased, so I would like to reconnect the cut wire when I return the vehicle to Nissan

Just unplug the connector to the VSP. This would be good to do when you are in there to change the cabin filter. It's located over the glovebox housing, and you can access it by removing all the screws and pulling the glovebox housing out.

VSP module is shown in red. Connector is yellow.

-Phil

Easiest and cleanest way to do it. It is completely reversible with no sign on mod. Yes I did loose the start up sounds as well, not sure what other sounds I lost, but its much quitter now!
2013 Red SL
20,000 Kms
EVSE Upgrade
VSP Disconnected http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3296&p=319514#p319514

lion
Delivery Date: 22 May 2013

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:46 pm

RLC wrote:
lion wrote:Do you mind sharing the source for this switch (assuming it isn't a 1-time auction)? I need (yes need) to do the same mod, for the same reasons. Don't know what Nissan was thinking. With my Prius Plug-in, I could disable the reverse beep via OBDII, but haven't seen anyone mention this on these forums, so guessing the switch is the only option here.

Sure - though I have to warn you the hardware isn't cheap. The best price I've found is at the link below:

http://www.nissanpartsdiscounts.com/oem ... 5172-3na0b

The part number is the last section of the URL -- a Google search will turn up other vendors.

I don't mind running my own wires behind the dash, but I'll need to know which pins (in addition to #5) I need to attach the switch to.

Did you end up buying that switch? Would love to hear/see the details.

Olsonist
Delivery Date: 14 Apr 2013

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Can this 25172-3NA0B Digital Sound switch even work now? Wasn't this disabled by software update on older models as per Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010? Seems that it would be disabled on newer models as well.

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:16 pm

I haven't yet had the latest firmware flash. I'll be disappointed if that breaks my hack (the OP), but such is the nature of a hack. I'll report back when I have it done.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy

Olsonist
Delivery Date: 14 Apr 2013

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks. If it still works, I may give it a try.

PDXSilver
Delivery Date: 15 May 2013
Leaf Number: 401443

Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:12 pm

This forum thread is incredibly useful. We have a 2013 model. I pulled the VSP module, opened it up, soldered a wire onto the back side of Pin 5, ran the wire out of a hole in the corner of the case as I reassembled the case, reinstalled in in the car, and touched the wire to ground. It worked! I do have one new bit of information. On the 2013 model the warning light is not in the instrument cluster as reported above (for 2012?) but is now next to the "passenger airbag off" warning light in the center console above the 12V power out.

Now that I have confirmed that it works, I'm going to order the 2011 OEM switch. I know it is a waste of money but this is leased car and I want it to look sort of original. Once I get my wife used to the switch, I may try to get her to go for the mod to automatically push the button on startup. Its her car and her thinking is the law made the noisemaker mandatory for a reason. I, on the other hand, can't stand it.

One quick question. When I install the switch, is there any reason to run a second wire back to the ground wire at the VSP module (Pin 1)? Or can I run the switch ground wire to any nearby ground?

Thanks for an amazing forum.

- Bruce

GeekEV
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 0308

Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:02 pm

AFAIK, any ground should work.

2014 Chevy Spark EV 2LT
2013 Tesla Model S 60kWh[/url]
AV L2 EVSE + kWh meter
9.4kW Solar Array + enphase energy