vijayl
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:57 pm
Delivery Date: 28 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1977
Location: Fremont - CA

Re: Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:12 pm

OrientExpress wrote:
I'm wondering if any one has service manual for LEAF could check which type of Flasher is used in LEAF. I wanted to see if I can buy one of these instead of a Load resistor..


The type of flasher the leaf uses is a virtual flasher. There is not a traditional analog relay flasher in the car, it is all done by the Body Control Module.

Thanks for the confirmation. This is what SuperBright LEDs rep told me.. I'll try the RL-650 resistor..

OE - Do u have any feedback on these http://www.superbrightleds.com/pdfs/load_resistor_info.pdf
79 MGB @95K
94 Honda Civic @ 250K 30mpg - Sold
07 Honda Odyssey @ 84K 24mpg
67 MGB GT EV 25K EV miles
Leafing 106,000 miles
Reserved on 7/2/2010; R4Q-1/26/2011; Ord 01/30/2011; Delivered-5/28/2011; EVSE Installed - 5/31/2011; BattPak@92k-9/12/2018

User avatar
OrientExpress
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1466
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:20 pm

OE - Do u have any feedback on these http://www.superbrightleds.com/pdfs/loa ... r_info.pdf


No, they are just 20 ohm resistors in heat sinks. You can probably get them at Frys.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

kmp647
Posts: 1136
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:00 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Nov 2011
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:15 am

has anyone tried these PIAA halogens for the H9 high beams to see if they perform any better than the stock high beams?
http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-19665-Xtra-X ... _rhf_p_t_2

I know some have mentioned the reflector design is an issue, but I am hoping this bulb will provide good performance on the H beams, I use em alot on the backroads I drive!

they PIAA xtreme whites have worked well on some other cars for me
these are from Hella and half the price

http://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detail ... ight+Bulbs

?
2012 SL Leaf
order 07/28/2011
took delivery 11/11/11
47,000 miles 10 bars 211 gids
Turned back into Nissan 12/31/14 @ 50,000 miles
BMW i3 rex 24 month lease
2017 BMW X540e phev
Tesla model 3 reservation

Alex
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:13 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:00 am

kmp647 wrote:has anyone tried these PIAA halogens for the H9 high beams to see if they perform any better than the stock high beams?
http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-19665-Xtra-X ... _rhf_p_t_2

I know some have mentioned the reflector design is an issue, but I am hoping this bulb will provide good performance on the H beams, I use em alot on the backroads I drive!
Yes, I installed these several months ago. But unfortunately, they make only a small improvement - primarily the color is much better.

I would concur with others that the reflector design is at fault.
Last edited by Alex on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Switched from Leaf to Tesla Model S

kmp647
Posts: 1136
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:00 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Nov 2011
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:03 am

Thank you for the report

in that case I may just try the Hellas at $41
2012 SL Leaf
order 07/28/2011
took delivery 11/11/11
47,000 miles 10 bars 211 gids
Turned back into Nissan 12/31/14 @ 50,000 miles
BMW i3 rex 24 month lease
2017 BMW X540e phev
Tesla model 3 reservation

nader
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:48 pm
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2011
Leaf Number: 1925
Location: Fres-yes

Re: Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 am

OrientExpress wrote:
I'm wondering if any one has service manual for LEAF could check which type of Flasher is used in LEAF. I wanted to see if I can buy one of these instead of a Load resistor..


The type of flasher the leaf uses is a virtual flasher. There is not a traditional analog relay flasher in the car, it is all done by the Body Control Module.


So this means that it could technically be "tuned" out?

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10640
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:21 am

If someone had the expertise and was so inclined to hack the software, yes. My only real compliant with it is that it is WAY too loud! Plus, ideally, I'd like a sound that was different on the downbeat as compared to the upbeat, like any conventional flasher.

I didn't replace any of the incandescent bulbs on the flasher circuit as having to use resistors to keep the system operating normally seemed counter-productive to me.

nader wrote:So this means that it could technically be "tuned" out?
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Herm
Posts: 3765
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 3:08 pm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012
Location: Timbuktu, Mali

Re: Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Alex wrote:Yes, I installed these several months ago. But unfortunately, they make only a small improvement - primarily the color is much better.
I would concur with others that the reflector design is at fault.


How much power did the replacement bulbs consume in comparison with the Leaf's stock ones?

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10640
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:53 pm

The stock high beam bulbs are 65 watts. I expect any incandescent replacement bulb to be that much or more...
The stock H11 fog lights are 55 watts each, by the way.

Herm wrote:
Alex wrote:Yes, I installed these several months ago. But unfortunately, they make only a small improvement - primarily the color is much better.
I would concur with others that the reflector design is at fault.


How much power did the replacement bulbs consume in comparison with the Leaf's stock ones?
Last edited by TomT on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

User avatar
JimSouCal
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:04 pm

kmp647 wrote:they PIAA xtreme whites have worked well on some other cars for me
these are from Hella and half the price

http://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detail ... ight+Bulbs

Thanks for the tip. Can I just order these and install them with relative ease? The change in color spectrum of the high beams is irritating to me.

Return to “Accessories / Mods”