Sunshade for Windshield?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeaneG

Has anyone bought a sun shade for their Leaf's windshield? In the past, I've bought custom-cut metallized foam roll-up shields, and also double-hoop universal fabric shields.

I imagine a sunshade cut for a Versa might work OK - what did you do?

I already have my upcoming Leaf's custom license plate bracket ("Solar Powered"), cell phone charger, and sunglasses. Just need the sunshade now. Oh, and the Leaf.

DeaneG said:
Looks cool. Do you lose some windshield visibility at the left and right sides?

It retracts very tight on both sides to almost nothing. Visibility has not been a problem. I don't even notice it is there. Sometimes, after years of being installed, it becomes a little slow to retract all the way. I just give it a nudge and it retracts fully. When I open it after it has been closed, I don't just let it go and let it wack back to the sides by itself. I open it and ease it back to the respective sides. I think this habit allows it to last a lot longer. All of my passengers have figured it out over the years and usually the passenger will take one side and me the other for both opening and closing. I use this all the time. Pretty much every time I park anywhere outside. I live in Los Angeles and it almost always heats up during the day.

garygid said:
In a car like the LEAF, with no passenger, would the driver have a very difficult time trying to reach the shade on the passenger's side?

I don't have any trouble in the Accord that I have....but then I am tall with long arms.

I did email the Eclipse maker since I did not see the LEAF option to order on their website. They responded right away and said their manufacturer was having trouble locating a LEAF to be able to size the shade for manufacture! I responded that we if knew what city the manufacturer was in, maybe we could connect them to someone with a LEAF for the measurement! I'll see if they respond again. Similar issue, I guess, to seat covers, etc...just waiting for the aftermarket folks to catch up to the fact that the car is already here. :D

If someone with a Leaf could drive up to a Versa and measure the windshields to see if they are the same, that would be very helpful.

From an Email i received from Eclipse Sunshades:

I just wanted to let you know that the LEAF has been sized and the website
has been updated to include this model. If you'd like to place an order, you
can click the following link to do so online.

http://www.eclipsesunshades.net/nissan.html

If you have any other questions or need additional assistance, please feel
free to contact me. Thanks again and have a great day!

Regards,
Marty

solardude said:

Regards,
Marty
Hey Marty,

Being right up the I-5 I'll definitely check this out, thanks!

--Chris

DarkStar said:
solardude said:

Regards,
Marty
Hey Marty,

Being right up the I-5 I'll definitely check this out, thanks!

--Chris
I should have stated in my initial post that the text was a copy of an email i received from "Marty". i am not myself "Marty". sorry if that was confusing.

solardude said:
I should have stated in my initial post that the text was a copy of an email i received from "Marty". i am not myself "Marty". sorry if that was confusing.
That was 100% NOT clear. If I were you I would go ahead and edit post to make that distinction.

DeaneG said:
If someone with a Leaf could drive up to a Versa and measure the windshields to see if they are the same, that would be very helpful.
I'm wondering if the one from my '08 Prius will work? Since that car will be leaving the family soon (hopefully), I could put the sunshade to good use.

gascant said:
DeaneG said:
I'm wondering if the one from my '08 Prius will work? Since that car will be leaving the family soon (hopefully), I could put the sunshade to good use.
Actually I tried it out with a friend today--the Prius one will work although it doesn't hook around the rear view mirror (too tall). The Sun visors hold it in place. It'll work while the custom fitted one is being designed and manufactured.

I wound up buying an Auto Expressions Platinum Auto-Shade, standard size, at Kragen's for like $11. It's a pair of fabric-covered rectangular springy hoops which snap open and fold closed quickly. The two rectangles fit nicely in the Leaf's windshield with their long axis oriented up and down. Once folded, they can be slipped into the back pocket of the passenger seat or in the door pocket.

So has anyone actually gotten the Eclipse sunshade for their Leaf? If so do you like it and are you willing to share photos? Otherwise I will probably just pick up some spring shades like DeaneG mentioned.

Spies said:
So has anyone actually gotten the Eclipse sunshade for their Leaf? If so do you like it and are you willing to share photos? Otherwise I will probably just pick up some spring shades like DeaneG mentioned.

I totally agree, I too would love to hear an actual useage response and possibly a photo before I plunk 4 times the $$$ on a shade, HELP!!! Lol
:D

I have used Eclipse Sunshades in my cars for years. They work great and you don't have to fold or remove and put somewhere to store them.
Here in AZ you need them since you use them all year long!

Back