Practical LED high beams

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mentaluproar

The stock halogen high beams on my SL annoy me. I’m looking to upgrade them to a color matching LED but I’m not sure which ones are a bad idea. I want to make sure it’s polite to other drivers, though you don’t actually use high beams unless there’s nobody around to blind anyway so that’s kind of moot. Are there any known reliable, properly aimable LED upgrades or is it still a case of differing reflector design between filament and LED making using them a dick move?

Agreed—the H9 glow-worms on my 2013 Leaf X (JDM) were pathetic, so I replaced them with LEDs. H9 equivalent LEDs seem to be very scarce, so I took a chance and ordered Auxbeam H11 equivalents from Amazon. The right side fitted straight in, but on the left side there was an issue with the bulb's aluminium heat sink getting tangled up with a piece of metal in the very restricted space, which prevented it from turning to lock into place. I carefully filed the heat sink to provide clearance. Significantly improved light output (8,000lm and only 25W per bulb instead of 65W), but ideally the beams need to be raised slightly. Has anyone any idea how to do this? There are a couple of hex head screws with a Philips recess that might be adjusters, but they're not easy to access and it would be good to be certain before diving in and possibly messing up something. Thanks.

I ended up ordering these. The left side seems a bit off but the right it's fine. No problem spotting deer now, though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHUYM88/

ardony said:
Agreed—the H9 glow-worms on my 2013 Leaf X (JDM) were pathetic, so I replaced them with LEDs. H9 equivalent LEDs seem to be very scarce, so I took a chance and ordered Auxbeam H11 equivalents from Amazon. The right side fitted straight in, but on the left side there was an issue with the bulb's aluminium heat sink getting tangled up with a piece of metal in the very restricted space, which prevented it from turning to lock into place. I carefully filed the heat sink to provide clearance. Significantly improved light output (8,000lm and only 25W per bulb instead of 65W), but ideally the beams need to be raised slightly. Has anyone any idea how to do this? There are a couple of hex head screws with a Philips recess that might be adjusters, but they're not easy to access and it would be good to be certain before diving in and possibly messing up something. Thanks.

That info is here, somewhere. As I recall you get at the high beam adjusters vertically through access holes under the front bumper. A special screwdriver (hex?) is helpful but not vital.

Thanks LeftieBiker. Haven't been able to find anything with searches but will have a ferret around under the bumper when I get the chance.

I don't t know. This is why I'm always complaining about people starting new topics for no good reason - it makes it harder to find old posts. There was a topic (among MANY) on the 2018 Leaf, and someone wrote about adjusting the headlights, pictures included, IIRC. I'll try another search.

Back