Leaf towing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimK

I have two towing questions. I have a bike rack with a 2” receiver and would like to connect it to my Leaf, some unknown time in the future. Has anyone connected a 2” receiver to a Leaf?

Does anyone tow their Leaf and if so does the odometer register the towed miles?

JimK

Apparently there is no place on the LEAF provided to properly mount a rear tow receiver.

I have not read (in this forum) of anybody doing a modification to the "covered" underside to add a tow receiver, although several people have mentioned wanting to tow or use such a tow-mounted carrier.

I've been studying the service manual to try to get some clues on where I could mount a 2" hitch and while it appears that it maybe a tight fit, I'm optimistic that it will be possible.

Unfortunately I don't get my LEAF until April, so no way to know for sure until then... (unless someone else is willing to remove the rear underside plate and take some pictures) ;)

garygid said:
There are some nice back-hatch mounted, strap-attached bicycle racks that others have mentioned using.
I noticed that Yakima has two flavors of back hatch-mount bicycle carrier. Anyone have pictures of what it looks like on the Leaf?
Also, can someone change the topic title to reflect the fact that we're talking about adding a receiver hitch for a bike rack, rather than towing?

I love my Thule hitch-mounted bike rack on the CRV, rather than having to deal with issues associated with having a rack on top of the car - noise, range, garage, and having to hoist the bikes up there. And besides, when not carrying bikes, we could always put one of those little spinny propellers into the hitch! :)

garygid said:
Apparently there is no place on the LEAF provided to properly mount a rear tow receiver.

I have not read (in this forum) of anybody doing a modification to the "covered" underside to add a tow receiver, although several people have mentioned wanting to tow or use such a tow-mounted carrier.

In case folks haven't seen the posts in this thread, I have made this mod on my car. Love it. I'll be offering it to others soon too.

Cheers, Bill

Back