Adding Receiver to New 2018 Leaf.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Torklift Central in Kent WA is the go to option for this on any EV/hybrid.

I have yet to venture over there to inquire (I was actually working 2 blocks from them last Tuesday but didn't finish in time to stop in. They do have free charging after all!)

But best part is they used to have a policy that if you had new EV they have not yet designed a hitch for, they will use yours and for your trouble the hitch is free.

Don't know if they still do it but great way to save a few bucks if you don't mind the wait!

Old thread I know- maybe this will help someone.

I just installed the Curt 11396 on my 2018 SV. I had the same hitch (bought twice now :oops: ) on my 2015 SV.

The only difference is that the 2018 does not have the tow hook installed on the passenger side frame rail, which means no bolts to re-use to mount the hitch, and the hitch does not include them.

You'll need to visit a hardware store and buy two M12 X 1.25 bolts, 30mm long, and it would be smart to go grade 10.9 or better. Other than that, no issues with the install.

How much plastic cover has to be cut on the 2018?

But best part is they used to have a policy that if you had new EV they have not yet designed a hitch for, they will use yours and for your trouble the hitch is free.

This is fairly common. I think U-Haul is still looking for a 2018 to install a free bumper. But you have to drive it to a place in AZ, IIRC.

LeftieBiker said:
How much plastic cover has to be cut on the 2018?

About the same as the older ones. At minimum approximately a 4"L X 3"W rectangle from the undertray. No bumper cutting necessary. I ended up with a little larger hole in the undertray than necessary due to lazy eyeball measuring and knowing that no one would be judging my work under there.

I just got the 2018 LEAF a month ago and installed the Torklift ECO hitch on it, for my bike carrier. Very straight forward, but forgot to install the front bolt, so I had to remove the cover again... :oops: Created a video of the process. Hope it helps anyone out there on the fence.. I used a Dremel Multimax to cut the plastic, but my gopro cut out for some reason.. Hope it help anyone out there debating... https://youtu.be/lAjL9gXMBlk

Thanks for the video.

So I still slumming it in my 2012 Leaf but would like the ability to carry some bikes to the bike park (obviously no Moab UT trips for us in the EV). So do you recommend this brand for a 2012 Leaf and also noticed you mentioned receiver size, is the size you mentioned the standard size or is it 2 inches?

Gigawatt said:
Thanks for the video.

So I still slumming it in my 2012 Leaf but would like the ability to carry some bikes to the bike park (obviously no Moab UT trips for us in the EV). So do you recommend this brand for a 2012 Leaf and also noticed you mentioned receiver size, is the size you mentioned the standard size or is it 2 inches?

You can select either one you want. (same price) Suggest getting 2" as a 1¼" adaptor is available in the oft case you might need it.

I ended up selling a big bike rack I bought for the Prius, as it was the smaller size, with a plastic adapter, and the thing moved around too much on the car.

Thanks for the info. I have a Yakima rack left over from my Audi A8 days so for $30 Q clips for Leaf (and an old bent load warrior). I can have a roof rack that fits the leaf so for now I'll go that route. Yes I know I'm going to hate it when I'm on the highway doing 65 but it's nice for hauling lumber etc ... :)

I had the torklift unit on my 2015 which I traded in on a 2018 a few months ago.

I removed the hitch before trading it in but was unable to get the rectangular washers off the vehicle since they are fished into the frame and fit pretty snugly.

Long story short, I contacted torklift and they sent me another set of the custom rectangle washers that they make so that I can install the unit on my 2018... and only charged me for shipping. Great customer service!

Hello! My Torklift EcoHitch is on the way for my 2019 Leaf, while I wait - I'm wondering if anyone who has the newer body style (2018-2020) and has already installed one could measure the clearance for the back hatch door from the top of the hitch?

Going to buy a 1up USA rack and trying to decide between a single or a double. Wanna order sooner rather than later so I can get back on the trails :)

Thanks

I have the 1 1/4" hitch, so from the ground it's 9.25" to the bottom, 11.25" to the top... of the square hitch.... and then 26" from the ground to the chrome trim at the top of the rear bumper below the liftgate. So subtracting, looks like around 14 3/4" from the top of the hitch... If I put my tape measure on the ground, right against the bumper and open the hatch, it hits the tape at 30". Hope that makes sense and helps, let me know if you need more measurements.

Awesome!! I like those 1UP racks. Let me know if you get the single or double... seems like the single 1UP maybe can be in the stored position and not interfere with the trunk, have you considered the single w/add on?

whowutwutt said:
Awesome!! I like those 1UP racks. Let me know if you get the single or double... seems like the single 1UP maybe can be in the stored position and not interfere with the trunk, have you considered the single w/add on?

Thanks for the measurements whowutwutt! Seems like Torklift has been a bit overwhelmed with orders the last few weeks (check out their Keep America Moving sale through the end of the month) so I haven't received confirmation of shipment yet. After talking with the 1up folks a bit yesterday I'm going to order my rack today and maybe it'll all arrive at the same time :) Planning on a single with one add-on for now.

The trade-off of not being able to bring eventually is well worth the benefits of being able to leave a single rack on and still have rear access. Your measurements confirm that clearance for the 14.1" height of a single Equip-D won't be a problem. I'll post pictures when everything comes in and I get it set up!

whowutwutt said:
I have the 1 1/4" hitch, so from the ground it's 9.25" to the bottom, 11.25" to the top... of the square hitch.... and then 26" from the ground to the chrome trim at the top of the rear bumper below the liftgate. So subtracting, looks like around 14 3/4" from the top of the hitch... If I put my tape measure on the ground, right against the bumper and open the hatch, it hits the tape at 30". Hope that makes sense and helps, let me know if you need more measurements.

Also - should add that I got the 2" hitch for the same reason you got the 1.25"... my other vehicle is a 2" :) But the extra clearance in your measurements (particularly the 30" clearance of the hatch even with bumper) should give me no problems.

AWESOME!! good luck! It's really not too bad, I spent a lot of time trying to position the camera on a crappy phone tripod.. :lol: You don't have to remove the bumper or anything, which is nice.

Got it installed. Went pretty well, the hitch looks good and seems to be solid. Bolting plastic to plastic is not a comfortable thing, but I guess most cars these days are made that way!

Back