2018 Nissan LEAF no standard DRLs again!?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLeafEV

That subject is not a typo... the USA 2018 Nissan LEAF does NOT have daytime running lights (option w/Tech Pkg on SV, standard on SL only).

I am blown away by this crazy omission, so this thread is for those who've purchased S or SV 2018s who want DRLs.

Anxious to hear what the DiYers come up with... thanks!

dont need them. All models have automatic headlights that can be set to come on early if you want. Being automatic they will also shut off at whatever interval you set when car is powered off.

I don't want them. You can just drive around w/your headlights on all the time, I guess.

GM long ago used to put DRLs on many (all?) of their cars. Was a bit annoying and weird. Had a few such rentals. I suspect it sometimes led to people driving around with ONLY their DRLs on at night (no tail lights). Toyota was doing that long ago on Camrys (around model year 1997 until ????), then I think they stopped. I don't think US drivers wanted them or liked them.

DaveinOlyWA said:
dont need them. All models have automatic headlights that can be set to come on early if you want. Being automatic they will also shut off at whatever interval you set when car is powered off.

In response to this and the others who've chimed in -

I want the DRLs because they are automatic, ALWAYS on. It's the law in Canada, and since I help Canadians import these vehicles from the USA into Canada, it would be nice if they had the DRLs, as it was a major hassle/expense to install them after the fact on the previous LEAF.

"Automatic headlights" only come on when the vehicle deems it dark enough to warrant them, if I'm not mistaken. And please don't tell me to "cover the sensors, etc.," as that would be illegal and another avenue for liability. Doing it properly and legally is the only way to handle this.

When some of the engineer types get this car and start fussing with DRLs, we can start sharing some ideas to solve this issue. We're literally talking about $10 in parts if they were factory installed, and just about every new car I've seen in recent memory has them, so...???

I don't want them. You can just drive around w/your headlights on all the time, I guess.

I'd rather have low drain LED DRLs on than have the headlights always on. Having the parking lights always on seems to me a better workaround for the base setup.

RRLeafEV said:
nd just about every new car I've seen in recent memory has them, so...???
Out of curiosity, how far is this recent memory? I've never owned a car nor leased a car with DRLs. I'm pretty sure none of my parents' cars have ever had them.

I can list them out...

cwerdna said:
RRLeafEV said:
nd just about every new car I've seen in recent memory has them, so...???
Out of curiosity, how far is this recent memory? I've never owned a car nor leased a car with DRLs. I'm pretty sure none of my parents' cars have ever had them.

I can list them out...

DRLs were common in the 90's. I have a 99 Corolla base trim that has them so pretty much guaranteed all Corolla's that year have them but the reality is they have pretty much been proven they do not increase safety most of the time. Sure out on featureless highway, its good to see someone getting ready to hit you head on 10 seconds sooner but I have never had an issue seeing cars in broad daylight so I never understood how DRL's got so much support.

The reality is in bright daylight you NEED the full power of headlights or they simply do not make a difference.

FYI; The law in Canada makes sense but due to the weather that is common there. But Nissan has already solved that issue because IF headlights are on Auto, they come on automatically on the 4th sweep of the wipers. ;)

I've always felt that DRL's have lost their effectiveness. It used to be a thing where people would see them and mention them...even was a big safety thing...I think it was Greyhound bus line that started them and they noticed that there were less accidents because lights on during the day were not common place. Now...every car has them...I guess minus the leaf. lol. But honestly, I don't even notice if a vehicle has DRL's anymore.

RRLeafEV said:
We're literally talking about $10 in parts if they were factory installed, ...
And this is why, as silly as that might seem. Car manufacturers fuss and fume over parts savings of much less than that, especially on base models. To understand better, the equation they look at is not $10 out of $30,000, they look at it as $10 x 100,000 cars.

You're killing me, folks. This was supposed to be a thread about installing DRLs on 2018 LEAFs not already equipped with them.

It's partially my fault for opining about how stupid I find the lack of DRLs.

1) You don't like them or see their value.
As a libertarian, I say good for you, but again, what does that have to do about the fact that I need them to export vehicles or that it's the law in Canada?

2) Nissan hasn't "solved" anything with auto headlights.
The law in Canada means that auto headlights are NOT compliant as a DRL replacement/substitute. So again I ask, why are you telling me this when I already explained that the vehicle MUST have DRLs for Canada?

3) DRLs are too commonplace and now ineffective.
TOTALLY DISAGREE until... trees, rocks, telephone poles, and retaining walls are outfitted with DRLs, they will stand out. I always notice them, but that's me.

The bottom line is that THE VEHICLE MUST HAVE THEM TO IMPORT TO CANADA.

So, I'm going to start another thread about installation and let this one rage on about the concept, law, and effectiveness. Carry on.

EVDRIVER said:
Don't Canada cars come with them. Those are easier and faster to import.

Stop poking him a with a stick. I already complained about having two threads on this. Now I see why he did it, although it's not an effective approach.

Back