Lighting for charge cover

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleBlueLeaf

I was at Lowe's today and found a great light for attaching in the charge cover. It is a LED motion sensor light that attaches magnetically. I put mine right about where the Nissan badge is under the charge hood. The light is powered by 3 AA batteries. It turns off after 60 seconds (or you can set it for 12 secs). The LED's can be tilted to focus light right where you need it. And the magnet is one of those strong types that means the light won't be bouncing around and falling off in there. No problem opening/closing the charge hood.

Here is the Lowes link to it: http://bit.ly/gJ4bFs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Linear-Motion...AFVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330266692&sr=8-1

I tested it out tonight and it works wonderfully and best of all - it's only $13 and it solves the whole lack of light thing when I pull into my dimly lit garage (I only have the garage door opener light).

Here is a picture of it

046135722455xl.jpg

Great find! I've been having the same issue with that dark little recess in my garage so will likely pick one of these up on the way home tonight..

You'll see that the magnet comes with it has a sticker on one side. Just remove the sticker side and stick it to the light. I turned mine so that the sensor is on the top side. This makes it so that it turns on when I come to unplug the car. It senses movement right about the time I get to the front of the car and lights up. I could take a picture of the setup but it is probably straight forward enough.

It is probably obvious but I found the light in the 'lighting' section so you know where to look.

No clearance issues ? Even with the QC port ? Actually, picture (day or night) with where it's attacjed would be nice.

Gallery of 4 pics showing the light in place: http://bit.ly/hfKPDn

And no - it doesn't bump anything or move around. Very happy with this little mod, :D

gm0nNl

LEAFer said:
That's right ... it's the first "mod" of a LEAF we've heard of :p

Thanks for the pics ....
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Nicely done :mrgreen:
I'm definitely going to buy one when I get the Leaf.

Has a thread been started for "Leaf Mods" yet or something of that sort??

mwalsh said:
pksd1 said:
Is this light water proof? for cars parked outside in the rain..probably not.

But if you leave your charge port cover so it's not all the way open, it will act as an umbrella for the light.

The charge port cover acts as a umbrella and shields it. It certainly won't be sitting in water and I think that is the only scenario where something would happen to it from rain water.

Oh - side note, I also picked up a small Master Lock (luggage size) to use on public infrastructure charging stations. All of the handles have those little holes for a lock to keep someone from coming along and unplugging your car mid-session. I got one of those. I'd might just put a magnet on it too and keep it under the charge hood next to the light so I have it handy.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
mwalsh said:
pksd1 said:
Is this light water proof? for cars parked outside in the rain..probably not.

But if you leave your charge port cover so it's not all the way open, it will act as an umbrella for the light.

The charge port cover acts as a umbrella and shields it. It certainly won't be sitting in water and I think that is the only scenario where something would happen to it from rain water.

Oh - side note, I also picked up a small Master Lock (luggage size) to use on public infrastructure charging stations. All of the handles have those little holes for a lock to keep someone from coming along and unplugging your car mid-session. I got one of those. I'd might just put a magnet on it too and keep it under the charge hood next to the light so I have it handy.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Small master lock-I thought about this too, but wonder about public charging protocol.

gasmiser1 said:
SeattleBlueLeaf said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Small master lock-I thought about this too, but wonder about public charging protocol.
I'll be picking up a lock too, but only to use with my Level 1 charger. This way the public charging protocol is still good!

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
I was at Lowe's today and found a great light for attaching in the charge cover. It is a LED motion sensor light that attaches magnetically. I put mine right about where the Nissan badge is under the charge hood. The light is powered by 3 AA batteries. ...

Rechargeable batteries of course :mrgreen:

Eneloop are my favorite -- very low self-discharge rate so would work fine in this application.

Back