3D Printed - offset cup holder for SS cups - like Yeti/RTIC/etc Nissan Leaf Cup holder

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasontamu

Mod bug hits hard for me always...lol...love this mod..

My Nissan leaf disappointed me in that my stainless steel tumber cups dont fit with out hitting the dash. I searched around and found other complaints about this but no solutions so i asked a friend to design and 3D print me an offset cup holder.

we took some free hand measurements and he printed a "slice section" to confirm the measurements before final printing and below is the awesome outcome.

Design and 3D printed/slice tester:
doujl3N.jpg

Add Weight using caulking (no odor):
Home depot sells this stuff:

YcC408c.jpg

i kinda put to much, so then i scooped some out with a plastic spoon and then installed this door handle at the bottom.

Door handle bottom:
DdPccUW.jpg

I walked around home depot and found this sliding door circle handle to fit perfectly. it allows me to toss a few coins of change down there, etc. the cup holder has a good nice weight to it and doesnt move at all.

Final product pics:
VEB4dhv.jpg

Final product pics:
tpOhJQQ.jpg

My friends walmart tumbler shown:
F8kSHJr.jpg

Fits 32oz tumblers and 20oz Yeti coffee tumbler and as you can see it fits other brands as well.

My buddy said he would make more if anyone wants one. I paid him for mine. you can message me and ill send anyone that wants one his email.

ok, back to work on my locking glove box mod...stay tuned....*wink

-J

Cool :cool:
It's always kind of bugged me a 32 oz fountain pop is the biggest that will comfortably fit in my Leafs. The 44 and 52oz sizes hit the part of the dash that kind of overhangs the cup holder area, making a wear spot on that area(near the passenger bag light) and it also makes the cup hard to get out and also makes it sit at an angle. It's not a super big deal, I just stick with the 32oz side(probably all I need anyway) but all in all I'd prefer to be able to purchase any size I wanted :)

Ya where I live bill Miller's restaurants give refills for 50 cents tax included in their tumblers or any reusable cup even competitor's cups..........doesn't have to be theirs.....so I hand them my ss mug and then reach in and grab two quarters from the recessed bottom of the cup holder and then I'm refilled and on my way.....

J

For a member here my coworker is making this change - adding pen holder/tire pressure tool holder in front:
A4yfv1n.png

RraahOw.png

TF8yir0.png

brotherjethro said:
Would your friend be willing to post the stl files? Preferrably somewhere like thingiverse?

ill ask him, but i think he is looking to open a 3d printing business i think..........i paid him ....he works with me but hes not in my exact group/area, and i wanted a product and he took time to design it, etc so im sure i paid the most for these compared to what he is selling them to anyone else..... i was completely happy to do so because 3d printer is a cool toy i would love to have, but I have tons of toys and i dont think the wife will let me spend more to get one...lol...my car hobby spends enough as it is.....i have 5 heavily modded Nissan's that i street race, off-road and what not....

if i went to any other 3d business to try and make this for me im sure i would have paid way more than what he charged me im sure....

-J

Just keep in mind that this is not injected plastic. It is mostly air. So filling a cup with 64oz of fluid and putting it ontop a huge offset like that puts a lot of stress on the plastic. You've essentially made a lever. Drink pushing down on your new holder part is trying to rip the "neck" off your printed material.

You should ask what % fill he used and what internal 3D support structure used (like a 3D honeycomb, or just rectilinear, etc). Fused Filament Printing has some limitations.

2k1Toaster said:
Just keep in mind that this is not injected plastic. It is mostly air. So filling a cup with 64oz of fluid and putting it on top a huge offset like that puts a lot of stress on the plastic. You've essentially made a lever. Drink pushing down on your new holder part is trying to rip the "neck" off your printed material.

You should ask what % fill he used and what internal 3D support structure used (like a 3D honeycomb, or just rectilinear, etc). Fused Filament Printing has some limitations.

ya it holds it fine....yeti's and the like SS cups are only 30oz. i doubt a 64oz would fit.....

the added weight of the caulking at the bottom really helps.....

its been great for the last weeks i been using it. i doubt there will be a support problem.

-J

Stumbled on this old post. One of my dislikes of my new Leaf is the lack of being able to put a tall water jug or coffee mug in the holder. I searched some other options but have found nothing that would really work until I saw this. Are these for sale? Thanks!!

RawhideKid said:
Stumbled on this old post. One of my dislikes of my new Leaf is the lack of being able to put a tall water jug or coffee mug in the holder. I searched some other options but have found nothing that would really work until I saw this. Are these for sale? Thanks!!

Sorry for the late response, i guess my email alert didnt come....i replied to your PM.

contact mike at [email protected]

he made it for me and will make and ship to whomever wants one.

thanks,
-J

Back