Window Vent Shades, Vent visor review

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalcolmReynolds

One of the things I have put on all my vehicles for years has been Auto Vent Shades, Ventvisors. These are molded pieces of plastic that typically you put in the window channel or over the window that will allow you to roll down your windows a decent amount and not be beat to death by the wind, rain etc, and it will help keep your windows from fogging up. I have been such a fan of these things that I always go and get some for my vehicles.

Well sadly the Leaf is a limited production car so AVS and Weathertech and others have not seen fit to make these for our car. Luckily I found a link on this forum for a company that makes something like it for a reasonable price. I saw there was something you could also order from Japan that was crazy expensive and I just couldn't validate the quaility. Well some people had stated these cheaper ones on Amazon worked well, but they questioned how long they would last. So I took a chance and ordered them.

I generally prefer the in-channel Venvisors due to the cleaner install look. That was not available this time. I wasn't sure how I was going to like the over the window install. I ordered these and they arrived. They are a thinner material than what I would normally get with an AVS product. They do seem to line up OK over the window and are reasonably close to being molded for our car. Installation was not difficult. You have adhesive tape strips on the back which you typically will peel a corner on the ends and fold it over so you can get to it when the visor is pressed into place and more or less "tacked" by the small exposed area you have peeled so you have a piece you can pull. Start by cleaning the area where the tape/visor is going to attach with some alcohol and a lint free cloth. Then line your pieces up where you want them to make sure you have them where you think they should be, then peel a portion of the tape back and then tack it in place and pull the exposed tabs you made accessible by folding over an edge.

Overall if you haven't done anything like this before it can be a little intimidating, but it isn't hard. Just prefit your pieces first to make sure you know where they are going to go before you peel away any of the cover off the adhesive. Then just work your way around the edges pressing down to make sure your adhesive is getting good contact.

I can't say I am a fan of the over the window visor, but it looks OK. It is a thinner material than you would get with other well known products in the market, but the fit seems OK. Overall it looks like these will work. They should function as well as the other products I have owned over the years and if they help keep the car cooler when parked, the rain out, and the windows fog free then they will be worth it. I have no reason to doubt that will be the case here.

By allowing you to keep your windows rolled down a little you can keep internal car temps down which may have an impact on not just the longevity of the interior but may actually be implicated in battery temps and degradation. I know that subject is controversial, but what isn't controversial is the fact that when the windows of all my vehicles are down a little bit the interior temps MUCH cooler. That is no joke and I think with the Leaf this may be even more crucial.

I know lots of people here battle fogging with the Leaf. With these visors you may finally have a tool that will give you the upper hand on fogging.

Overall I can recommend these visors. If I can find the link for them on Amazon I will post it here if we are allowed to do that.

Thanks Paul. I was hoping by sharing the review and experience it will help new people coming to the Leaf or even some existing owners who are still not aware of ventvisors some more info about them.

I see a lot of veteran Leaf owners online that apparently don't know about ventvisors because I see a lot of posts about window fogging and this is a really good option to help in the battle of the fog. Some people I think avoid them because they don't like the look, but once you understand what they do then they "look" pretty darn good! LOL

Here is the URL for the Amazon link to the item I bought.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AYK8YOY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just a quick update on this item. I like the product, but in the intense heat this summer the adhesive tape on the back window visors are not holding onto the visor side of the tape. So I am a little disappointed by this. The front visors appear to be holding up, but I will keep checking them and will let you know if that changes.

I will try getting a better brand of adhesive tape and attempt to retape the visors specifically on that portion that appears to be pulling away. It is specifically the rear visors on the side that toward the back of the car. Not sure why those are pulling away. There appears to be some pressure or tension that is pulling the back portion off of the double sided tape.

Hopefully applying a new name brand tape there may hold better. I will post again once I have had the chance to fix this and let you know how that went or if it is holding up.

The function of the visors is great. I have been happy to have them on the car. Now I have to sort out the adhesive tape problem with the back side small strip and what is causing the visor to lift off of it.

Thanks for the update!
Note the price also went WAY up :(
I had it on my wishlist and when I finally went to order it, it had almost doubled in price :x Damn Amazon, their prices fluctuate more than the stock market, well at least larger fluctuations, for major stocks that is. With Amazon it seems you have to order when you see it for a decent price, wait even a few days and the price can change, and not just small changes either!

Back