LED tail lamps as combined brake/turn signals

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chirpyboy

I saw someone on youtube do this and thought it gave a cool look, so I installed it on my Leaf:

Yag47so.gif

It's the DIY Tail-as-Turn module from diodedynamics.com. I needed to add load resistors too. I rewired the stock rear turn signals as additional reverse lighting.

The modules seem to be simple XOR circuits, so when you have the turn signal on and press or let off the brake it will invert the flashing. That inversion blip looks a little odd... I assume cars that have combined tails stock do this more cleanly. But for $30 I think it's a neat mod if you don't mind snipping some wires.

X500KLt.gif

that looks really cool. I will seriously consider this just to get more reverse lighting. do you want to post details on what exactly you bought and what you modified to do this?

Marko

This is what I bought https://www.diodedynamics.com/store/catalog/product/view/id/21872/s/tail-as-turn-module-diy/category/1441/ including the Resistor Kit.
I'd advise getting the resistors from ebay or elsewhere, you'll save a few bucks, plus the wire leads on these are annoyingly short.

The included instructions are pretty clear. Basically you cut 12v brake wire (green/yellow on mine), and the 12v turn signal wire; connect them to the module's red and yellow inputs. Connect the module output white line to the other side of the brake wire going to the brake lamp.

For the now-dangling wire going to the turn signal bulb, I just hooked that with a tap into the reverse light line to function as extra reverse lighting.

I did this all underneath the brake light units because it was easiest (3 bolts to remove each unit)
It might be better to take off the rear interior panels and do your tapping/mounting inside the c-pillars, for better moisture protection.

If you get a fast flash because the LEDs draw less current and the car thinks the bulb is out, you'll need to add load resistors on the turn signal line. You can do this anywhere--I put mine under the hood connected to the front turn signals because there was more space to mount them there.

I wonder where the flasher unit / relay is on the leaf (if it is even a discrete component). for the fast flash that can be modified so you don't have to mess with load resistors also.

no they dont. He unwired the amber turn signals and turned the stock rear turn signal bulbs into reverse lights (by replacing them with clear bulbs i assume)

in Europe this is not legal, you need amber turn signals there. in the US red turn signals are OK (and come so with many cars from the factory, and function the same as that video shows).

chirpyboy,

Thanks for posting, this modification looks really nice. Two questions:
- where, exactly, did you connect the load resistors into the turn signal circuit? "under the hood connected to the front turn signals" is too general a description for my limited understanding.
- did you replace the original rear turn signal bulbs with LEDs or clear filament bulbs?

Thanks

Here's where i put the resistors, right by the headlamps hooked to the front turn signal leads:

These are 6ohm. The only problem is if the LED tails get disconnected or burn out there will be no fast-flash warning. Maybe there is a smaller resistance sweet spot that allows them to flash normally but still give you a fast-flash if the rear lamps fail for whatever reason.

And yeah I did change the rear turn bulbs to clear filament bulbs (7440)

Thank you!

chirpyboy said:
Here's where i put the resistors, right by the headlamps hooked to the front turn signal leads:

These are 6ohm. The only problem is if the LED tails get disconnected or burn out there will be no fast-flash warning. Maybe there is a smaller resistance sweet spot that allows them to flash normally but still give you a fast-flash if the rear lamps fail for whatever reason.

And yeah I did change the rear turn bulbs to clear filament bulbs (7440)

I like this. In the video, it looks like the reflectors on the bumper on either side of the license plate are acting like additional brake lights. Is this correct, if so how was it done?

Yeah they are reflectors with integrated LEDs. I saw a bunch on eBay for the Nissan Qashqai but they looked the same shape; I took a chance and it turns out the Qashqai reflectors fit perfectly. These have two brightness levels so they work as tail lights and brake lights.

Taking off the bumper to install them was a pain (in hindsight it's probably doable from underneath the car instead)

estomax said:
that looks really cool. I will seriously consider this just to get more reverse lighting. do you want to post details on what exactly you bought and what you modified to do this?

Marko

It's possible to just install LED reversing bulbs that are extremely bright. But you can't get them for 5 bucks those are just LEDs that have similar light output compared to halogen bulb.

chirpyboy said:
Yeah they are reflectors with integrated LEDs. I saw a bunch on eBay for the Nissan Qashqai but they looked the same shape; I took a chance and it turns out the Qashqai reflectors fit perfectly. These have two brightness levels so they work as tail lights and brake lights.

Taking off the bumper to install them was a pain (in hindsight it's probably doable from underneath the car instead)

These are still available on e-Bay but I only see a red & black wire (only one brightness)? Did yours have three wires?

Yep three wires... this is the seller I bought from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-LED-Reflector-Rear-Bumper-Light-Fits-NISSAN-QASHQAI-2013-2014-2015-2016-/191737942493

chirpyboy said:
Yep three wires... this is the seller I bought from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-LED-Reflector-Rear-Bumper-Light-Fits-NISSAN-QASHQAI-2013-2014-2015-2016-/191737942493
Thanks Chirpy, appreciate the quick response and help. Gonna get a set of these.

I don't have a before/after pic, but It should be a little more than twice as bright as stock because the reverse bulbs are 16W (type 921) and the turns are 21w (type 7440).

The turn signals are probably not focused in any given direction, maybe that lessens the usefulness a bit for reversing.

I just did this. Was easy and works well. I want to find a way around the load resisters. On my BMW, all I had to do is reprogram the LCM (Light Control Module). I don't think this car has one, probably more of just a stupid IC that you can't reprogram. I just hate the idea of load resisters due to the fact that you save nothing energy wise.

Back