Need help on adding rear camera, I think I have the right wiring

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnGalt69

I have a 2013 SL, without the premium package and the camera. I want to add the camera so I took a few panels off the in the rear to look at the wiring and see what is there for the camera. Here is what I found:

Given what I see below, am I right to think that I only need to buy the camera, mounting screws, camera housing, and the body to hatch harness? Just plug them all in and it should work?

Inside the hatch, is this good? Is that the camera connector? Therefore I have the right hatch harness?

y3mQcDJJ6Vzks2rNYWvLrt2O9O2V4twUerjsGQ3uB6yDwOuOmTQPA5vomAtKWFrV0VqNmUukGDPgAXc0zbYI5lScD1SBcLd2I-HXZSNc5FN7EHbIl5SssdU1r25htGMN-u222mNXFhVDg4fzz0Ws087PXs_VTOmLgl08xD-PHi9Wto

Behind the upper left rear panel; there are 8 wires on the body to hatch harness, and there are 13 wires on what I'm guessing is the B18 connector of the body harness. This is good?
y3ma5LluEQomgOdMXlhcjx-sxBmsnRGwzG_5RXzTR4UAkjW3MErKLqo4DCPI4UeVcSFNVfG64AxzxBqyo5cd1zLXwbmNWZcG09D9f8uxhenvvHZn_XsvtmFETE9YVfIp1bagKuh3eVX6yUEDWkX7jO_e7qFxhjHA_5EIk1VSE0glZo

For those wondering where to check this themselves:
y3m2utrFlwtDUfaJ6iRJcXCDhSpkg-lOnnPaxQJhizUXRlluJ-h2Lf8H5dEwghE3nx2_-Dfs8NQU85zZzNU4--zpQXKAGOMtYxS7Lm-_fkHF_mjX1OcpGH92uoqWGaycZPItPzNzWiGd3j0ej61DMGDXnb2lFGTSvZLSwkR7t0CJ_0

This little foam pad fell out when I pulled off the rear hatch inner cover, where does it go?
y3m2iPi2xBCb6rzG7h35jfww-5u-0j_pFpamUjoi8biEc_daCs_kaxNf7B3SpbUIALraNGSPOtnlwBvoP2F-Kk9TILeUP2Ui5ytfglM8y2VNp-cI-JCkrPWu8Hhyi4k6aDNSjsQHNFBL8lyMfwpPG9j5MEVaJvOPoKutjlTs9J7OHI

I've confirmed that if you have 13 wires on the body side of the B18 connector, you should be able to just put in the following parts for a backup camera:

906063NF1B - HANDLE ASSY-BAC
01454N5021 - SCREW (you need two)
284423NH2A - CAMERA ASSY-BAC
240513NF0B - Body to hatch harness

My car already had the correct hatch harness.

I just purchased a 2013 SL w/o Premium also. Where did you buy the parts? I tried to search on google and couldn't find the screws. Did you end up needing to buy the harness or did the car already have the correct one?

I have not yet. I put some of the items in my cart on one of the parts websites. I haven't opened up the back up yet and am waiting for my windfall.

Trust me on this... If you do not have a rear camera, it is not financially efficient to install one.. Also, it is not worth it (for me) to labor on and take apart the car (or pay someone) to do this.

I think that the rear camera is a nice toy to make new drivers and old ladies feel more secure. You only use the camera for about 10 seconds when you go in reverse.

Also, using the camera is actually unsafe, as most users will be glued, watching the screen when they go in reverse... In parking lots, leaving a space, the REAL danger is nuts speeding behind past you as you exit the space. You are much safer not looking forward at the camera, and looking all around you rearwards. The only GOOD use I have had with the camera is to see how close I am to a parked car when I parallel park, and that is still not really needed.

CTinker said:
I just purchased a 2013 SL w/o Premium also. Where did you buy the parts? I tried to search on google and couldn't find the screws. Did you end up needing to buy the harness or did the car already have the correct one?

The vehicle to hatch harness I purchased on Amazon. Here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018J24J8O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The hatch handle and camera itself, I found them available on ebay.

powersurge said:
Trust me on this... If you do not have a rear camera, it is not financially efficient to install one.. Also, it is not worth it (for me) to labor on and take apart the car (or pay someone) to do this.

I think that the rear camera is a nice toy to make new drivers and old ladies feel more secure. You only use the camera for about 10 seconds when you go in reverse.

Also, using the camera is actually unsafe, as most users will be glued, watching the screen when they go in reverse... In parking lots, leaving a space, the REAL danger is nuts speeding behind past you as you exit the space. You are much safer not looking forward at the camera, and looking all around you rearwards. The only GOOD use I have had with the camera is to see how close I am to a parked car when I parallel park, and that is still not really needed.

Hmmmm..... $200ish for the camera etc....vs damage to your own vehicle or someone else's vehicle? I consider that inexpensive protection. Unless of course you like paying your deductible or other vehicle damage. The Nissan Leaf has massive C Pillars that obstruct the view towards the rear. To each their own, if you do not think its worth it for yourself so be it. But for those of us that want it its worth.

OP -- any updates on this? I have the same model and bought the parts that you suggested that you needed. I think that I will take off the panels this weekend, hopefully, I don't need anything additional.

@Mr20024 If you do install the after market rear camera this weekend, would really appreciate if you take lots of pictures and note the steps involved, then post back here. Thanks in advance!

There is a hardware store here that has multiple locations and it sells metric and American screws in ones and twosies . Mc Fadden Dale. Anything that needs screws they have it.

It is rare to find a store that sells only one of something. The big box stores only sell a package if they have it at all.

alozzy said:
@Mr20024 If you do install the after market rear camera this weekend, would really appreciate if you take lots of pictures and note the steps involved, then post back here. Thanks in advance!

Will do. I just got finished installing and everything went perfectly. I'll upload pics and steps when I get to my phone.

I'm in the process of buying a 2013 SL as well and would love to see your photos!

Seems line Nissan dominates the Google results for their parts. Found a couple of the needed ones on eBay. Anyone have a site they like?

Back