2016 Leaf SL Led upgrades (drl/high beam, fogs, license plate, trunk)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ucsmfu

Got a chance to switch out some of the stock bulbs for leds.

DRL/High beam

j6id83.jpg

Fogs

stock

alg6mb.jpg

with led kit

2w50jub.jpg

Trunk

stock

63rd4w.jpg

with led

5x03m1.jpg

License plate led

nqo10w.jpg

I was interested to see that LED high beams are now available, but looking at the photos it seems like the stock high beams, even though pretty poor, seem to be throwing more light further out. Does that match your experience?

Nubo said:
I was interested to see that LED high beams are now available, but looking at the photos it seems like the stock high beams, even though pretty poor, seem to be throwing more light further out. Does that match your experience?

To me, it looks like the stock high beams throw light the exact same distance as the LEDs, with the latter filling in much more light closer to the car.

LeftieBiker said:
Nubo said:

To me, it looks like the stock high beams throw light the exact same distance as the LEDs, with the latter filling in much more light closer to the car.

It's hard to judge from a photo because of exposure issues, but in the photos, notice the vertical poles out past the parking lot. Visible with stock, invisible or barely visible with the LEDs. This could be due to the brighter fill-light reducing the exposure. Then again it would tend to do the same thing to your eyes; overly-bright foreground will cause your pupils to constrict, reducing the ability to see fainter and more distant objects, which is the purpose of high beams. Very difficult to assess the real-world differences with photographs unless it's a side-by-side comparison.

I thought the photos were showing the effect of LED fogs. If those are really an LED conversion of the high beams, that would be a very poor beam pattern to spill so much light to the foreground. Perhaps the OP can clarify?

Nubo said:

it's much brighter than stock, and yes your right it does throw light further out. I am going towards the LED DRL strip route :p

gshepherd said:
I thought the photos were showing the effect of LED fogs. If those are really an LED conversion of the high beams, that would be a very poor beam pattern to spill so much light to the foreground. Perhaps the OP can clarify?

yes the high beam pattern is pretty bad.

The picture was with low beam led and led fogs on the same time. No high beams.

Back