Brakeless brake lights for B-mode?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgvanides

I'm only 350 miles into using my 2016 SV and I'm still getting use to B-mode. Generally it's great - but I do worry a bit about slowing down quickly without braking. Are the brake lights smart enough to notice rapid deceleration? If not, is there a simple mod that could accomplish this?

jgvanides said:
I'm only 350 miles into using my 2016 SV and I'm still getting use to B-mode. Generally it's great - but I do worry a bit about slowing down quickly without braking. Are the brake lights smart enough to notice rapid deceleration? If not, is there a simple mod that could accomplish this?
Not to the best of my knowledge.

But as I have stated previously, the regulators should seriously evaluate mandating brake light activation based on some threshold deceleration rate.

Depending on having foot on the brake pedal is really inadequate from a safety standpoint.

Just a thought. I came to the Leaf from driving a standard transmission Honda Fit. I used the gears instead of the foot brake all the time to slow down with no issues. The speed reduction with B mode is similar to dropping one gear on a standard.
I have been watching my mirror when I use B mode only to slow and haven't seen anyone looking surprised.
There is the strong regen that comes when you actually apply the foot brake but then the brake lights are on.

gregn said:
... The speed reduction with B mode is similar to dropping one gear on a standard.
Also similar to the deceleration if someone doing 75 mph lifted their foot totally off the accelerator and did not apply the brakes.

But in the modern world BOTH cases should turn on the brake lights.

This issue is not new and is not only with regen.

20 years ago I drove 1960s British sports cars to work. I had people keep telling me that the brake lights were out, when the problem was a down shift.

So yes, it would be safer to base lights on deceleration. Probably both pedal and deceleration. The question will be what level of deceleration should trigger a light on the rear of the car.

Thanks,
Dan

Back