Key & Fob

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyrTwister

First of all , to the moderators , if this is in the wrong sub-forum , please feel welcom to move it to a more appropiate sub-forum .

Recently purchased a 2012 Leaf & it came with only 1 key & fob .

Local locksmith told me to order one & bring it in to be programed , with the car & the working key & fob .

I did that yesterday , after lunch . Took them a long time , but they got it done ! :) Praise the Lord ! :)

Expensive , but much less so than having Nissan do it .

God bless
Wyr

How much did they charge you to do it, and how much was the key and fob? I bought a new key and fob for $95, and my local Nissan dealer charged me $80 to pair it to the car and cut the key. If my local Nissan dealer also supplies the new key and fob, the total charge from them is $300.

On of the things that people shopping for a used Leaf have to be concerned about is whether the car comes with two working fobs. If not, the dealer has to either promise in writing to replace the missing one, or, again in writing, to reduce the final price by about $300. The other, related issue is the Nav system SD card. If that is missing it can be an even bigger hassle and expense than a missing fob, and it's a more immediate problem.

AFAIK the programming is actually programming the CAR to accept the key, not the other way around.

For example, they can remove the "programming" for a lost key by removing the appropriate crypto keys from the car's computer.

nickandre said:
AFAIK the programming is actually programming the CAR to accept the key, not the other way around.

For example, they can remove the "programming" for a lost key by removing the appropriate crypto keys from the car's computer.

My understanding (which could be incorrect), is that each key fob has a unique ID. The car is programmed to respond only to specific fobs, and all fobs it responds to have to be present when the programming is done (essentially erasing any other fobs from the memory). That may just be the standard dealer process, and it is possible that other options are available to add or remove a specific fob.

WyrTwister said:
First of all , to the moderators , if this is in the wrong sub-forum , please feel welcom to move it to a more appropiate sub-forum .

Recently purchased a 2012 Leaf & it came with only 1 key & fob .

Local locksmith told me to order one & bring it in to be programed , with the car & the working key & fob .

I did that yesterday , after lunch . Took them a long time , but they got it done ! :) Praise the Lord ! :)

Expensive , but much less so than having Nissan do it .

God bless
Wyr

I purchased another used 2013 SL w/only one fob. THIS IS IMPORTANT: my seller was packing to move and misplaced the other fob. So, if you buy another and program it, ALL the fobs have to be present at that time. In other words, if you buy a second fob and program it with your first, then the missing one shows up again, you will need to reprogram them ALL for the one that wasn't present at reprogramming to function again. That makes this even more of a crap shoot buying one (you know as soon as you get it, they'll find the missing fob, of course :cry: )...

Ok, WyrTwister, a few questions:

1) Where did you buy the replacement unit (please send a link), and did it include the blank key? Could you please post a photo of the unit you bought?
2) When you say "it took a long time to program," are you talking half-hour, hour, or more, approximately?
3) What did the locksmith charge and did they also cut the emergency key for you for that price?

FYI, I called my local Nissan dealer this morning & they tried to scare me off buying another key/fob from other than Nissan, stating that "half of the ones we get won't program." Can anyone speak to that and shed light on whether that's correct, please?

1 - http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2012-nissan-leaf-remote-smart-remote.html Yes , it came with the un-cut blank key . There is a picture in the link .

2 - Took the local locksmith 1-1/2 - 2 hours to get everything programed & working .

3 - Local locksmith charged $ 60 - $ 70 to do it . Yes , this included cutting the new key blank . Easiest part , for him , of the whole job .

Can not say how many work and how many do not .

God bless
Wyr

FYI the 4 button FOB is $10 more, $89 shipped and they sell a "refurbished" model for $20 less.
Lastly, not sure if it was just me but when checking prices I got a popup from the company saying if I ordered within 12?? minutes I'd get 10% off my order :) IOW if interested you might want to be ready to purchase to save another $7-9, even after I left the site the countdown timer continued to advance so it must go off a cookie or my IP address??
http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/2013-nissan-leaf-remote-smart-remote.html

Back