Power Inverter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsleaf

Would something like this work well with the Leaf if I wanted an easy way to charge cell phones, etc. during an extended power outage (after an earthquake, etc)?

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-175W-Power-Inverter-ports/dp/B00D7HZTQI

What do you want to charge? I think most devices now have USB charging capabilities. If you want to just charge one thing, you could use the built-in usb port. If you want to do more than that, you could buy a cheaper lighter-usb plug.

Or do I misunderstand and you do need the 120V AC?

I think mostly I'd want to charge a smart phone over USB, but I might other things that I would want to run that would run off a standard plug (I still have a basic flip phone that I use that charges over a standard plug).

The short answer is: that would probably work.
The long answer is: do you realize that you are really charging off of the 12v (starter) battery, and not the traction pack? The Leaf also has some power limitations on the 12v accessory ports. I'm not sure you wouldn't do better by just keeping a "backup" battery pack with USB outputs (you can find them up to 6000 mAHrs).

I think it would be cheaper to buy a new cell phone. But... I have an inverter on my car. In an emergency, I can use it to charge my other electric car or power many other things! Great for brownouts or camping or just being handy. This Christmas I was in a parade called The Electric Light Parade. One of my Leafs was lit up like Las Vegas. I have not had any trouble with even the cheaper square wave inverters from Harbor Freight. Just pick the biggest one you feel like can fill your needs. I have a 2000w/4000w Chicago Electric mounted behind my battery under the hood for anytime juice me up fun.

Oh, and I failed to mention... If you happen to have a lady who needs to redo her hair anywhere around your car (for whatever reason) ;) this unit will help you do the trick! That unit that you showed would not impress her in any way. Although small and compact, It could not handle most energy draining events except small handhelds. Good luck!

Evoforce said:
I think it would be cheaper to buy a new cell phone. But... I have an inverter on my car. In an emergency, I can use it to charge my other electric car or power many other things! Great for brownouts or camping or just being handy. This Christmas I was in a parade called The Electric Light Parade. One of my Leafs was lit up like Las Vegas. I have not had any trouble with even the cheaper square wave inverters from Harbor Freight. Just pick the biggest one you feel like can fill your needs. I have a 2000w/4000w Chicago Electric mounted behind my battery under the hood for anytime juice me up fun.

Dear Evo,

Could you please tell how the inverter is mounted and connected? Once upon a time on the "old forum", there was a detailed explanation of using a 12vdc to 120vac inverter.

I'm thinking of using #6 welder cables with soldered and swaged tips, running from the battery and ground post in the motor room under the car in conduit to the trunk. That's how I have my 12vdc power bus set up for my ham radio gear. I use #10 stranded cable inside a 1/2" flex conduit. The conduit is secured to the frame under the lower body panels.

When using an inverter from the 12 volt system, keep the Leaf in Ready Mode (yellow-green car icon lit) and it will continuously charge the 12 volt battery, not every 5 days.

Here is the thread with the details about using and inverter with the Leaf, lots of good stuff in there.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=13097

My inverter is turned on it's side and mounted between the firewall and the battery in the engine compartment. You can easily slide the fuse holder out of the way to install the inverter in that location and then put the fuse holder back once final installation is completed.

The inverter I have installed will handle 2000 watts with 4000 peak surge and can also power your 120 volt EVSE in case of needed rescue of another EV as well as drills, saws, appliances and much more!

Just quickly double press the start button on the car without needing to press the brake pedal and then press the on button for your power inverter and presto! The accessory mode your car will keep supplying the needed 12 volt power to your 120 volt inverter from the main traction pack without killing your 12 volt battery.

Yes, the inverter will work, as my cigarette lighter can handle an energy draining electric blanket. Remember, however, that the inverter can only handle 175 w of 120 volts. that is MAX about two 75w light bulbs. good for small tv, radio, or non-motor appliance. No heaters, drills, or microwaves...

Back