Japanese Nissan dashboard technology

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCWorth

Hi, I'm a new member, and recent purchaser of a pre-owned 2012 Gen 1 G Leaf in New Zealand. The Leaf is still very uncommon in NZ, so there is a very limited second-hand market, and most of those available have been directly imported from Japan by interested car dealers.

One "problem" that this poses is that the dashboard display functions are all in Japanese Kanji, and there is no facility to change the language, as there apparently is in Leafs manufactured specifically for the non-Japanese market. The navigation system (possibly made by Clarion) does not work in NZ. Even with a (US) handbook in English, it took me an hour yesterday to adjust the clock! While I'm sure we will adapt to this impediment with time, I'm trying to explore options for improving the system.

It occurred to me that it may be possible to swap out the dashboard monitor, etc, with a unit from an English-speaking country. However, an apparently knowledgeable person I have spoken with in NZ claims that the "Japanese-made" Leaf is significantly different from other varieties, even having differences in wiring looms, colour coding and other basic technical aspects. If this is correct, it would seem to preclude the possibility of simply swapping the dashboard components, even if this proved not to be prohibitively expensive.

I wonder whether anyone has specific knowledge of this "problem", or could give me advice or suggestions on the matter? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Peter

Yes, we know of the problem. The general consensus was that it's not fixable, but I seem to remember the last time we talked about this issue a Kiwi said he may had a solution, but I don't think he elaborated on what it was.

Thanks very much for your response, and information. Well, at least it is a great help to know that the problem does not have a simple answer.
That means I won't expend useless energy badgering away at it! Next option....learn to read Kanji.
I appreciate your help.
Peter

Just for giggles, open up the Search box and type "New Zealand" (include the quotation marks). Most of the discussion you'll find is about JDM imports to NZ. I didn't find the post about the fella who claimed a fix, maybe you'll do better since you're more motivated than I am. ;)

I've had a look, and there's some interesting chat on the same matters that I raised, but no obvious solution. Still, I learned several things, including the fact that Nissan NZ do not support imported Japanese Leafs! Yikes! Funny that the dealer I bought it off didn't think to mention this. Never mind, I'm confident we won't have any problems.
Thanks again for your suggestions.

PCWorth said:
I've had a look, and there's some interesting chat on the same matters that I raised, but no obvious solution. Still, I learned several things, including the fact that Nissan NZ do not support imported Japanese Leafs! Yikes! Funny that the dealer I bought it off didn't think to mention this. Never mind, I'm confident we won't have any problems.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
How will you charge the vehicle? Since you are 230V and Japan 100V did you install your own EVSE?
You are sanguine about your situation. I hope everything goes well for you and your LEAF.

Thanks. Yes, we have 240v supply here, but the car came with a standard charger attachment, and I've installed a socket for charging on the outside of the house, near where the car will be parked. Although different from the plug attachment shown to me by the official Nissan dealer (surprisingly offhand about my interest; no second-hand cars; new too expensive for me), the dealer I purchased from recommended using a more secure "Blue Commando" type plug. These are commonly used here for caravans and other RVs. The national "public" network of charging stations is relatively sparse, but improving all the time.

I've since spoken to my dealer, and he admitted that there has been some "tension" with Nissan NZ, regarding the support of parallel imports of Japanese-origin Leafs! He claimed that this was in part due to that fact that Nissan NZ themselves are not allocated sufficient cars to meet the demand and are somewhat aggrieved with this situation. The local Nissan NZ agent did tell me that the waiting time was about two months for a new Leaf!
Anyway, it seems that in response to this issue, Nissan have now authorised a number of workshops throughout NZ to service imported Leafs, and one is in my city, so hopefully, I will be covered, in the unlikely event of any "problem"!

Back