Folding Electric Bike Commute

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevon

How about a folding electric bike for a ride to free or extra charging Location? Reply to mwalsh:
mwalsh said:
mwalsh ,
I did a lot of research and decided to buy a fun functional bike with good
components. decided on an affordable electric mountain bike, the CEMoto E-18-B folding bike. Purchased it yesterday on sale at eBay :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321824983042?
_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$_57.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQNP3MUxHM4
Reviews are scarce but here are some:
http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/cemoto-electric-folding-mountain-bike.2012/ and
http://atvsupershop.com/products/e-mountain-bike
mwalsh said:
I personally like a slightly larger wheel than on the Velo mini or Bromton - the smaller the wheel, the less stable the bike; also a bumpier ride on rough roads; plus the gear ratios need to be larger with smaller wheels, which can present problems when climbing steep hills.

What does the electric piece give you besides more complications? My idea was a relatively simple folding bike good for a mile or two that you could fold up to take into office or put in the back of the Leaf? The folding piece alone guarantees some degree of adjustment over time.

mjblazin,
Good point. The hill is too long and steep, only athletes on a bike can make it to the top. I've watched many people try while walking home. I would have to walk the bike up without power assist for sure or have a heart attack! at least there is a Scripps Mercy ER at the top of the hill, how ironic is that!

mblazin,
Bike should be here by Friday! Can't wait, but will it fit in the Spark or a Leaf?
MDVEQzEzRTk3ODJDRjM1M0IxMzc6NjA2OGE5MmZhZjRjYjYyNTE1N2VkMDJlNGUyNDg1MmY6Ojo6OjA=

stevon said:
sparqi,
Just sold my NSX-T and wanted a multi purpose fun toy. It was pricey at $800 with California tax and shipping, I'll keep the forum posted with a review and pictures.

Bike arrived Friday,
The only damage was the battery top got smashed in shipment. It's a puzzle because bike was well packed with battery inside of the frame.
CEMOTO-1sm.jpg

Damaged-Battery-sm.jpg

the obligatory "cat scan" of the situation
Cat-Scan-sm.jpg

stevon said:
sparqi,
Should be here by Friday! Can't wait, but will it fit in the Spark?

stevon said:
sparqi,
Just sold my NSX-T and wanted a multi purpose fun toy. It was pricey at $800 with California tax and shipping, I'll keep the forum posted with a review and pictures.
sparqi said:
looks like a nice folder. keep in mind the 60lb weight if this goes in and out of the car a lot. i have a bad back and my 20" folding bike is fine at nearly 30lbs. i havent tried it on our ev, but it looks like mine will fit with the 40 section seat down.

mjblazin,
Fortunately folded this bike does fit! You sacrifice 1 passenger spot though. Tried out the bike after charging the battery 4 hours. The bike is a little small for me, I'm 5'11". 27 inch tires and frame would have been perfect but that might not fit in the car. The shocks are "air" meaning no oil dampening just a little air resistance but that is easily remedied with a shock from eBay. The ride is a little too soft/comfortable to be a serious mountain bike. There are two modes of power, throttle and power assist when you pedal. I do need to add pedal power to make it up the long hill, just using electric motor alone won't cut it (stalls). Bike will do 20 mph on flat areas without pedaling and more with. The seven speeds seem adequate for commuter travel, shifting is smooth with the Shimano components. The brakes were weak at first but have bedded in and grab quite nicely now. fits in the Spark even with the generator bolted in. Had 1/2 of the rear seats folded down
bike-001.jpg

bike-002-sm.jpg

mjblazin said:
What does the electric piece give you besides more complications? My idea was a relatively simple folding bike good for a mile or two that you could fold up to take into office or put in the back of the Leaf? The folding piece alone guarantees some degree of adjustment over time.

Early in the Leaf ownership I bought a Dahon Uno thinking I would use it to commute from a charging location to wherever I needed to be. Good simple ride for a compact folding bike, fits nicely in the trunk, but I have yet to use it for it's original purpose.

Valdemar,
Thanks for the comment. I have used it 3 times already and glad I had the bike. It has been over 80 degrees here with humidity (What's humidity in SoCal?) My friend borrowed the bike yesterday and took it on a trail. He said he had a blast! If you ever do find free charging 2 or so miles from home or work you may yet get to use your Dahon. Contacted eBay seller today and he is sending a replacement battery. Have fun!
Valdemar said:
Early in the Leaf ownership I bought a Dahon Uno thinking I would use it to commute from a charging location to wherever I needed to be. Good simple ride for a compact folding bike, fits nicely in the trunk, but I have yet to use it for it's original purpose.

Follow up on the CEMOTO bike. The brakes "broke" the front brake does not work any more (100% failure). It feels like the friction pad fell out, will have to take it apart to determine the issue. Adjusting them had no affect. Riding down the long hill was scary last night! Also I find the handlebars a little narrow but will leave them stock as part of the folding design . Maybe when I upgrade the shock, a new front brake solution may be necessary.

stevon said:
Follow up on the CEMOTO bike. The brakes "broke" the front brake does not work any more (100% failure). It feels like the friction pad fell out, will have to take it apart to determine the issue. Riding down the long hill was scary last night! Also I find the handlebars a little narrow but will leave them stock as part of the folding design . Maybe when I upgrade the shock, a new front brake solution may be necessary.

Well, it is an off-brand Chinese bike from eBay, so not surprising. I couldn't find the specs fro the brakes on the eBay listing, but one site listed them as Avid BB7s. If true they are decent, I doubt a brake pad fell out unless they were not properly assembled to start with which is entirely possible. Most likely need to adjust brake cable tension. Be careful torquing the bolts, parts are aluminum and the threads can be stripped easily. If you never worked on bikes better take it to a reputable bike shop and have them check it out, $40 that saved your life are $40 well spent. Also if you plan to ride it only on pavement consider changing the tires to slicks to reduce rolling resistance.

Valdemar ,
Bike is back to par! New battery arrived!, replaced it and it works fine. The front brake caliper cable clamp was not assembled correctly and cable slipped through. Reset cable and clamp and I now have front brakes! all is good in my neck of the woods

My car got damaged at the hotel last night. The oblivious hotel patron clowns made me park 5 spots away, stretching the power cord. When one of the turds pulled out they caught the cable and broke my CCS connector! With a $500 deductible I'm pissed and out of pocket!
2015-Spark-Damage-sm.jpg

2015-Spark-Damage-1-sm.jpg

2015-Spark-Damage-2-sm1.jpg

At least there was no body damage, this wouldn't have happened if those people did not park in a EV charge spot to begin with. No point in complaining to hotel, they would ask "what room are you in?" and say "so you are trespassing too"

Back