Drilled rotors

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightarmor

Has anyone installed cross drilled rotors on their Leaf? Asking because I am attempting to reduce as much unsprung weight as possible.

Cross drilling is not really about weight savings as a given rotor type needs a given amount of thermal mass to absorb the heat. It is more about water dispersion and heat internal heat stress relief...

knightarmor said:
Has anyone installed cross drilled rotors on their Leaf? Asking because I am attempting to reduce as much unsprung weight as possible.

I understand why rotors are drilled (and why rotors shouldn't be drilled). My main concern is saving weight. a drilled rotor can be considerably lighter than a solid rotor. I've developed my own brake setups in the past. I would just like to know if anyone else has installed a cross drilled rotor on their Leaf.

I'm adding up the weight savings including wheel type, tire, and in this case want to know if I can reduce even more weight with a lighter rotor.

Drilling rotors doesn't save any significant amount of weight - a small fraction of a pound at the most.

To really save weight, you need to go to a 2-piece rotor setup with an aluminum hat and iron disc where you should cut off a couple pounds per corner.

Anyway, I checked tirerack.com to see if they listed anything - looks like they have cross-drilled or slotted Stoptech rotors for the rear.

Yea I saw them online and they're so cheap is why I was asking. I'm looking to reduce weight every little place I can and every little bit helps. I guess I'll order a set and find out what the weight difference is! :D

Back