Wheel size options for the leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billaz

Hey forum,

Does anyone know the size limitation for leaf wheels? I would like to install a set of 17x8 wheels with a +55 offset. Would the higher offset just mean they stick out more? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

The positive offset means just the opposite - the wheels stay in more than a 0-offset wheel. A negative offset would mean that they stick out more than a 0-offset wheel.
offsetdiagram1.jpg

I have a set of wider 17" wheels for my Leaf. The rear wheels are 17x8 with a 33mm positive offset. They just about perfectly line up with the outside edge of the car.

You can see pictures here: G35 pictures
And detailed specs here: G35 specs

Someone put on police crown vic winters with 235 55 17 which is huge, not sure of offset though but I'm sure you can find it. They drove with minimal rubbing. Can't remember exactly but I think it was while at full lock going into a driveway kind of thing.

I have 215 55 17 on 17x7 +35 wheels and I've lowered the car and there is 0 rub

Here's a nice tool for you to play around with. Use my numbers and if Garsh wants to let you know his tire size you can use his too. The crown vic wheels will give you a good idea of any upper limit that you wouldn't' want to exceed.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Stock offset is 42 I think, Tire rack lists +50s that fit but I think that's in 7 or 7.5in width.

minispeed said:
Stock offset is 42 I think, Tire rack lists +50s that fit but I think that's in 7 or 7.5in width.

16x6.5J w/ a 40mm positive offset for the OEM wheels.

Personally I'd like to have some 15" rims that fit so I can buy more fuel efficient tires but none of the online tire stores make it easy to find -1 sizing.

dhanson865 said:
minispeed said:

16x6.5J w/ a 40mm positive offset for the OEM wheels.

Personally I'd like to have some 15" rims that fit so I can buy more fuel efficient tires but none of the online tire stores make it easy to find -1 sizing.

Yes sorry I got my offset off, confused it with my 15in winter set which is +42, fits fine. SSR Comp 10.4 lbs and 205 65 15 winters are the same OD as 17s which work better on the car, 25.5.

Tire rack did list 15s for winter that fit last November but none were particularly light. Email/call them to see which ones will fit. The biggest problem is that 15s and 5x114.3 aren't popular.

Rota slipstreams should fit. I went to Miata and Civic sites and found out which 15s fit with big brake kits. SSR Comp and Volk TE37s are the lightest and most expensive. Regamasters (which the slipstream is a clone of and are the ultimate in lightness at 8.8lbs should fit) so the 13lb regamaster should fit. You can get them for under $600 a set so it's not a huge gamble like I took with my $1000 SSR comps. I thought about getting them for summers but couldn't resist a good looking 17, summer range is plenty for me.

Thanks guys. This is all really good information. So has anyone on the forum gone with an offset of +55 or higher on a 17x8 rim? I would love to hear feedback if anyone has. These wheels and tires are an awesome deal and would look really good. But it doesn't sound like the seller would be ok with me trying before buying. LOL. Is it fair to assume that the problem would be in the front if there were any (turning, bumps, etc.)?

A +55 offset most likely would not work nor would it look good. For the Leaf you need the offset to be going in the opposite direction. The OEM G35 17X8 rears I'm running square are a +33 and fit just right.

Hmmm.... I think they would look great, just don't want to have sparks flying when I'm making turns. These are basically stock wheels/tires from a 2015 WRX. From my research, the wheels would come in towards the car and additional 25mm and would stick out 5mm from what is currently on the car. I know I could always get spacers to push them out, but would much prefer a clean install.

5mm spacers wouldn't be a problem and tirerack lists +50 offset for the leaf. Not sure if they are 17x8 or 17x7 though. I don't think that would matter much.

There is a lot of room in that wheel well!

Yea I'd say 10, 15 or even 20mm spacers would be ideal to make the +55 sit just right on the Leaf. I def. wouldn't run those wheels without spacers, cosmetically I don't think it would look good. But that's just me. :D

knightarmor said:
Yea I'd say 10, 15 or even 20mm spacers would be ideal to make the +55 sit just right on the Leaf. I def. wouldn't run those wheels without spacers, cosmetically I don't think it would look good. But that's just me. :D

I don't think you can go with much more than 5mm without changing out the bolts.

Back