Leaf w. 350z 18" staggered wheels

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, the only problem is the weight. Surprised it's taken this long for someone to figure this out. I've been sitting on this set of 350Z track wheels since I bought the Leaf, just waiting for my 17" tires to wear out. Probably this spring. :D

350z_track_rays.jpg

And the offsets are perfect, someone on the Nissan Leaf team knew what they were doing.

Garsh, Thanks for the compliment.
Knightarmor, you are right about the weight. As for more specifics I weighed the wheel/tire sets before I swapped the 350z set on. The results:

Stock 16 rims and tires = 40.5 lbs
350z fronts = 43.5 lbs
350 rears = 49 lbs

As a whole this means the swap added about 23 lbs over stock.

I think the weights could be reduced slightly by using lower profile tires but just by virtue of the width there is more weight and more tire. To that, I have to say afterward the car had so much grip, it was mind bending when I took it for a run through the twisties.

garsh said:
I love the look of this. I might have to see if I can find a set.
Nissan Leaf with 350z staggered wheels and tires!

Yes, it's amazing how the Leaf can hold the corners with some decent grip.

Just for reference, approx 2.2lbs of unsprung weight = 33lbs of static weight (according to Rays). And I believe this. Just shedding the weight of the factory 17" Leaf wheels and going over to the G35 wheels made a huge defference in energy consumption. The track wheels are superlight and I'm super excited to get them on, hopefully this coming summer. :D

Now get yourself some coilovers and drop your Leaf! I wish KW would release their kit, this Blitz kit just isn't cutting it for me performance wise.

Agreed. and I do really need to lower the leaf. Still weighing my options there. The wheel gaps are just too large and need to be dealt with.

As for coilovers, how is the Blitz coming up short for you? To soft? harsh? vague? float? hitting bumpstops?

Too soft and harsh with some disturbing float characteristics if that makes sense. I'm bottoming out the rear shocks too only because I've lowered the thing so much. I'm planning on getting another rear set of shocks and shorten the mount length to get more travel out of them.

You have to keep in mind I'm comparing this to my racer with KW's on it so I'm pretty much comparing apples to oranges here but I expect better from Blitz or any coil over setup I put on the Leaf. (yea I know I expect alot) :D

How are the Blitz at more moderate ride heights (1-1.5" lower than stock or similar to Twin lowering springs)?

Lack of damping with too much harshness and body motion on bigger bumps is what bothers me the most about the Tein springs. I feel like I have to drive like the car is slammed over larger bumps. Really needs more damping and more bump travel. Of course, I don't really want to spend $900 on coilovers, either if they turn out not much different than what I have now!

The Blitz are actually pretty good about 15mm higher than what I am at. They are very comparable to the factory suspension I pulled off of my 2013 when new in terms of comfort. Performance is not bad either. Again my Leaf is runs 33 offset 17x8's in the summer and 17X7.5 30 offsets in the winter, so my feedback on how the car is handling will be much different to someone who is not running similar track widths, tires and suspension setup.

knightarmor said:
The Blitz are actually pretty good about 15mm higher than what I am at. They are very comparable to the factory suspension I pulled off of my 2013 when new in terms of comfort. Performance is not bad either.
Thanks for the feedback, I wouldn't be looking to go as low as you have your car setup. The height with the Teins is fine for daily driving and I wouldn't mind going another 1/2" higher if it meant the suspension worked better. Every day I get a bit closer to putting the stock springs back on - the lack of damping just bugs me like crazy. Going slowly over a speed bump and feeling each end bounce a couple times before settling is annoying! Not to mention the other issues associated with the lack of damping.

Are you keeping your stock suspension? Rumor is the '13+ equipment is a bit stiffer than the '11-12 and the struts/shocks may pair up better with the Tein springs. Let me know if you ever get your hands on a KW setup and want to let go of your Blitz setup - I bet the KW's would be nice!

drees said:
knightarmor said:
The Blitz are actually pretty good about 15mm higher than what I am at. They are very comparable to the factory suspension I pulled off of my 2013 when new in terms of comfort. Performance is not bad either.
Thanks for the feedback, I wouldn't be looking to go as low as you have your car setup. The height with the Teins is fine for daily driving and I wouldn't mind going another 1/2" higher if it meant the suspension worked better. Every day I get a bit closer to putting the stock springs back on - the lack of damping just bugs me like crazy. Going slowly over a speed bump and feeling each end bounce a couple times before settling is annoying! Not to mention the other issues associated with the lack of damping.

Are you keeping your stock suspension? Rumor is the '13+ equipment is a bit stiffer than the '11-12 and the struts/shocks may pair up better with the Tein springs. Let me know if you ever get your hands on a KW setup and want to let go of your Blitz setup - I bet the KW's would be nice!

I have my stock suspension in a box (ready to ship :D ) and yes I would be willing to part with it for a fairly low price. And yes the 2013 suspension is 100 times firmer than the 2011. Not uncomfortable but what I would consider just right for a stock "tight" suspension that is not performance oriented and doesn't rattle your teeth every time you hit a tiny pothole. The 2011 OEM suspension was terrible. I remember test driving the 2011 and I thought the car was missing its shocks or something.

knightarmor said:
Looks good, the only problem is the weight. Surprised it's taken this long for someone to figure this out. I've been sitting on this set of 350Z track wheels since I bought the Leaf, just waiting for my 17" tires to wear out. Probably this spring. :D

350z_track_rays.jpg

And the offsets are perfect, someone on the Nissan Leaf team knew what they were doing.

Hey, do you have them on the car?
Did you use the original bolts/nuts?
Do you have tyrepressure system and can you transfer this?

I'm getting my Leaf soon and want also this wheels.

Back