2012 proximity unlock button on front doors mod request??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerys

on my leaf it has a button on the door handle. when the remote is close (thankfully this only works when VERY close 5ft or so) I can just press this button to unlock or lock the doors.

Can I buy another one of these handles and install it on the REAR door and get the same functionality?

I want to be able to hands free (ie press button pull handle) the rear door for tossing pizza in the back for delivery.

you can't unlock the back door stock. have to use the remote or inside lock switch.

I changed the menu option (in NAV) so that when I hit that drivers handle button it unlocks all 4 with one push, instead of the default option of having to press twice to get the other doors.

In my 2013 model I can 'unlock' the back of the car when I have the fob in my pocket. Basically there is a slight delay before it opens, but othewise it opens just like it were unlocked previously.... Perhaps they added the feature after the 2011 models.

What I would like to see is a setting to allow the car to just unlock (no button push) when I approach and lock when I walk away. Perhaps some wouldn't like it so make it an optional setting...

interesting. I still want a button on the back door so I don't have to goto front door then goto back door (when you have to do this 50 times every single day that tiny annoyance is really annoying.

when I got my new minivan it drove me MAD that the sliding door on my new one did not have a "key hole" requiring me to open the front door first to unlock the sliding door. Grrrrrr.

So how hard do you think it would be to put a front door handle on the back door?

I might even be willing to "give up" unlocking the passenger side door OR if I could link them so hitting either front or back door opens both front and back door (retaining the ability to not unlock the other doors if you don't want too)

how does this mechanism work? is the works IN the door or is it a dumb switch?

if the works are IN the door I should be able to simply "link" the front door unlock to the back door unlock and wire both buttons as "one" so hitting either button would unlock both doors.

but if it talks back to a "brain" and then the "brain" tells the doors which to unlock it could get trickier or impossible to do easily.

I will poke around in the NAV settings to try and find that setting to make it unlock them all. then I can just wire both door buttons as one. would be a little work to run the button wires but would get me what I want.

There apparently are codes to lock and unlock the doors via can bus. So your proximity unlock does seem like it might be doable with a canbus device. Look for the challenge/response from the keyfob and unlock the doors. Not sure if challenge success/failure is readily determinable from the packets but there is some promise here.

nerys said:
...you can't unlock the back door stock. have to use the remote or inside lock switch.
I know this isn't what you want, but you can unlock the back door by pressing the button on the front door twice. You don't have to open the front door and use the inside lock switch. At least that's how it works on my 2015 S.

yep. I found that out in another thread. Dolt never tried it and yes it works.

not as nice as go right to the back door but SO much easier than having to open the front door or fumble with the remote :) (I just keep it around my neck)

Have you tried what this owner suggested?

RePo said:
I changed the menu option (in NAV) so that when I hit that drivers handle button it unlocks all 4 with one push, instead of the default option of having to press twice to get the other doors.

The Navigation menu has an option to change that behavior. I changed mine, so I can unlock the trunk/hatch by simply pushing the lefthand button on the hatch. Or maybe you're just hitting the wrong button. I know I can unlock my hatch without unlocking a door or using the remote:
hatch.jpg

You know that there's TWO buttons on the rear hatch (under the handle) right? The big one for unlocking the hatch, and a little one to the right that lets you lock/unlock the regular doors and acts just like a door button would.

If these buttons aren't working your key fob battery is probably going out.

Edit: doh! Me and keydiver posted at the same time. Oh well.

keydiver said:
The Navigation menu has an option to change that behavior. I changed mine, so I can unlock the trunk/hatch by simply pushing the lefthand button on the hatch.

If not too late for the discussion .......
On my recently-acquired 2012 SL that "Comfort & Convenience" option is greyed out on my Settings screen in NAV.

Has been previously re-programmed to:
Left hatch button on 1st. push unlocks all doors and puts the hatch into the unlocked and partially released position.
2nd. push allows the hatch to be raised.
The smaller right hatch request button serves only to unlock all doors so is somewhat redundant.

Maybe previous owner had dealer do this and set it so it couldn't be changed in NAV Settings?

Can live with it but can't see that it is a particularly useful arrangement for me.

Wonder if LeafSpy will let me get it back to factory default?

Update: not greyed out anymore - must have been a temporary electronic glitch - but there doesn't seem to be an option specifically for the hatch locking. Getting used to how it operates now and realize that the right hand request button is useful when using the hatch to load something and then wanting to immediately lock the entire car from the back w/o using the key.

macnut said:
keydiver said:
The Navigation menu has an option to change that behavior. I changed mine, so I can unlock the trunk/hatch by simply pushing the lefthand button on the hatch.

If not too late for the discussion .......
On my recently-acquired 2012 SL that "Comfort & Convenience" option is greyed out on my Settings screen in NAV.

IIRC, some of the "unlocking" behavior requires the CONSULT program...which requires a trip to the dealer. While you may have to wait, they shouldn't charge you.

Back