Add lizard battery to original

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IraqiInvaderGnr

$6,000 for a replacement battery but what if I kept my old battery and installed it along side the original? I know ingineer had something similar to this. Is this possible? Has anyone thought of trying this?

Nissan won't let you keep the original battery. That's part of the arrangement for getting a replacement battery. Then you have to consider adding 680 pounds to the LEAF. If you can solve all the technical issues, suspension and electrical, the range total would be less than 2x, more like 1.8x. The leaf will now weigh over 4000 pounds. More, if you have to add things to fix the suspension. Or, looking at it the other way, adding a new battery to a low capacity one, might double the range it's getting now.

Do you think it's really because they want the old batteries back or is that the lawyers don't want people experimenting with the old batteries and killing someone... and the product liability lawsuits that would inevitably follow?

LTLFTcomposite said:
Do you think it's really because they want the old batteries back or is that the lawyers don't want people experimenting with the old batteries and killing someone... and the product liability lawsuits that would inevitably follow?
Yes, they really want them back. Besides the fact they have valuable materials in them, they also plan on selling them to power companies for backup power. Also it solves the problem of people harping on electric vehicles saying "what do they do with the toxic batteries?!" Well, now we can easily say that Nissan will recycle the batteries in one way or another.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Nissan is in the business of selling cars, not batteries.
A $5,499 LEAF battery with the new heat tolerant chemistry would be phenomenal for converting vehicles to electric.
But Nissan has acknowledged that they lose $ at the $5,499 price. They didn't quantify how much. But the $5,499 price very well could be only 50% to 75% of Nissan cost.
Selling battery REPLACEMENTS is what had to be done to keep the LEAF from being a 60,000 to 80,000 mile disposable car.

gbarry42 said:
Nissan won't let you keep the original battery. That's part of the arrangement for getting a replacement battery. Then you have to consider adding 680 pounds to the LEAF. If you can solve all the technical issues, suspension and electrical, the range total would be less than 2x, more like 1.8x. The leaf will now weigh over 4000 pounds. More, if you have to add things to fix the suspension. Or, looking at it the other way, adding a new battery to a low capacity one, might double the range it's getting now.

and just a reminder that tires are part of the suspension.

Even if you upgrade the coils/shocks you also have to upgrade all 4 tires or just keep the car limited to no more than 1 passenger (that extra battery pack is like having 3 or 4 adults in the car with you at all times.). You may have to run at or near sidewall max to handle the weight and you'll want to run a larger tire to have a higher load rating. You sure don't want to try it on the stock tires.

dhanson865 said:
Even if you upgrade the coils/shocks you also have to upgrade all 4 tires or just keep the car limited to no more than 1 passenger (that extra battery pack is like having 3 or 4 adults in the car with you at all times.). You may have to run at or near sidewall max to handle the weight and you'll want to run a larger tire to have a higher load rating. You sure don't want to try it on the stock tires.
Doubt it. For the 16" tires, safe load rating for each tire is 1279lbs. 5,116 lbs total. The MY13/14 weighs ~3300lb. Adding another 500lb battery to it still leaves over 1000lb for cargo and passengers. The 17" tires are a little lower, at 1232lb each, 4928 lb total.

It's always better to over-provision with a higher load rating, but it's certainly not a problem with stock.

Back