18" wheels - 225/40 or 225/45

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EESP

On 18" wheels, which dimension is preferable? 225/40 or 225/45? My rims are 8" wide, so narrower tires are not an option, as I don't want that "stretched" look.. :) Car is lowered with Tein springs.

EESP said:
On 18" wheels, which dimension is preferable? 225/40 or 225/45? My rims are 8" wide, so narrower tires are not an option, as I don't want that "stretched" look.. :) Car is lowered with Tein springs.

OEM tires are about 835 RPM (revolutions per mile) and 24.9" diameter. You want to keep the RPM and diameter within 2% of the OEM

Primacy MXM4 255/35R18 is close at 832 RPM and 25"

Yokohama S.drive 225/40R18 is close at 827 RPM and 25.1"

anything 225/45 would be too low RPM / too high diameter.

Personally if I were doing 18" wheels I'd use the Primacy (same as the upgraded tire on a Tesla Model S)

dhanson865 said:
EESP said:

OEM tires are about 835 RPM (revolutions per mile) and 24.9" diameter. You want to keep the RPM and diameter within 2% of the OEM

Only if you care about the speedo/odometer accuracy. Not sure if you could get something like a speedohealer for the Leaf.

I do have a question: Why 18" wheels? Knowing this helps guide the answers to your needs. If you just want the looks of larger wheels, but want stock performance, then yes, get something close to the same circumference as OEM.

If you're looking to have a higher top speed, a larger circumference will bring the top speed up, but the car may not have enough power to reach it.

If you're looking for faster acceleration, a smaller circumference will increase performance, but will lower the top speed.

Because there is no transmission, a larger or smaller tire should have a small, if any, impact on energy efficiency.

My car is originally a SL trim (US model, exported to Europe), so it came with 17" wheels with 215/50R17 tires, the difference in width etc. would be very small upgrading to 225 tires on 18" rims.

I have to admit the main reason is looks. Here it seems like "every other car" is a Leaf and they all look pretty much the same. Just want something to make it a little different from all the 100% as-it-came-from-the-factory look. :)

225/40R18 will be slightly smaller (-1.7%) than the factory 215 tires, 225/45R18 would be slightly bigger (+1.7%).

I never drive at top speed anyway, so that doesn't matter much. I think the difference in acceleration will be very, very small.

I know the 225 tires will have a slightly higher rolling resistance due to being wider than the factory 215s which in turn will affect mileage slightly, but having heard other Leaf owners doing the same, the difference is almost negligible.

The 225/45 tires will be slightly heavier (bad), but will at the same time have a higher profile (good for protecting rims) and fill out the wheelwells slightly more (good).

So, the 225/45 won't affect mileage any more than the 225/40s?

When it comes to brand, I'll stick with Michelins or Pirelli P7 (low noise and rolling resistance). I'm in Europe, so the models differ slightly from what you have in the US. I have dedicated snow tires/wheels, so all-season is not needed.

EESP said:
I have to admit the main reason is looks. Here it seems like "every other car" is a Leaf and they all look pretty much the same. Just want something to make it a little different from all the 100% as-it-came-from-the-factory look. :)

That's why I did this

mctom987 said:
That's why I did this

Nice! Would love something like that, but that'll have to wait a little - can get it done for around $3k here, but that's still a lot of money.. :)

just a thought guys, smaller rim , i mean smaller circumference means more revolutions right? does it mean the regenerating capacity will increase as its directly linked to the revs??

Mrelectric went with 235/45R18 for his leaf: link

I've currently got 235/50R17's on mine: link

I like how the larger size fills out the wheel wells more. It does look a little more like a crossover though. I parked next to a Juke the other day, and realized that my Leaf was actually slightly taller than the Juke. :eek:

Back