Removal of factory mud flaps

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroundHog

I'm wondering how easy it is to remove the factory installed mud flaps and especially if doing so would leave ANY marring of the finish or any other type of blemish. The reason for this is that I find the design of the mud flaps for the leaf are very good at catching snow and ice as you drive and doing so in a way that you can't just kick it off. If you let it continue to build, I've gotten to a point where the tires just continually rub on the ice and the mileage really tanks (1.5 mi/kWh or so even after the road itself is clear)... you can really feel the extra resistance slowing the car down. If I try to poke the ice out with something, I'm worried about damaging the mud flap, tire, or wheel well. I will add that other than this, I think the Leaf handles excellently in the snow and ice! Better than most other two wheelers.

I just kick the ice/snow off with my boot. works every time.

I look forward to doing it, I get overly joyous when a whole big chunk comes off in one kick! :D

Not where I live...

At less then -15C the ice in teh wheelwells is like a rock. You can hurt yourself!

But removing the mudflaps would mean the pain would take the brunt of the snow ice and rocks. Nissan paint is lousy at best. I am sure you would have lots of damage.

Could you coat the flaps with oil, grease, vasoline, or even spray PAM on it when clean so the snow and ice do not stick so well?

I do not have that issue here in San Diego. It is over 80*f again today, and supposed to be there again tomorrow. Makes me wonder why we have a fireplace.

It's not that the ice sticks to the flap, it is that the wheel side of the flap is NOT FLAT and SMOOTH. It is actually cupped so that the flap catches the ice and snow on the inside. That is a stupid design IMO.
This is only in really cold weather. If the ice is slushy, then yes you can knock it off.

The factory mudflaps come off super easy, four phillips screws each for the front and three screws each for the rear. I had to remove mine because they weren't working anymore for my car now that my wheels stick out much more than the factory wheels, the side of the car/lower rocker panels were getting wasted with grime especially during the snowfall and de-icer that gets dropped here. I ended up replacing the factory flaps with WRC style flaps. I found the rears added too much turbulence and drag which affected my efficiency. The fronts however have been working perfect, the lower sides have been staying mostly clean. I removed the rears and have been running only the fronts without any negative effects to my efficiency/range. A little more wind noise at speed but it's worth it to not have to constantly be washing the car!!

mudflaps_03.jpg

mudflaps_04.jpg

And removing the factory flaps did not leave any marks on the paint.

Sure I'll part with them, assuming you are in the U.S.A. how's 75$+shipping sound? All four are in excellent shape in Pearl White color.

Has anyone figured out if their is any noticeable range loss due to having the factory mud flaps (splash shields) in place? Not sure if I want to loose even 1 or 2 miles for them.

White factory flaps minus mounting hardware still available. 50$ shipped inside the USA anyone who wants them please PM me.

Back