DaveinOlyWA
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199

Re: Help hooking up an evseupgrade L6-30 Receptacle and Brea

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:25 am

ok, i got ya. ya, the screw will work. i grounded my box with the conduit which is the standard process here.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles. 2016 S30; 18,297 miles. 363 GIDs, Ahr 82.34, Hx; 100.00% kwh 28.1 QCs 165, L2's 190
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:39 am

I used 10 gauge wire for my L6-20 outlet (yes, that's overkill for a 20A circuit). I had no trouble looping the ground wire around the box grounding screw and clamping it securely. Perhaps grounding screws vary by box manufacturer, but I certainly had no trouble with 10 G wire on mine. You will need long-nose pliers, or something similar, to make the loop in the stiff wire but it should work fine.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

Lasareath
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2013
Leaf Number: 404190

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:47 am

Thank you both for that info, I have many needle nose pliers.

When I was shopping for the ground screws I bought the ones with largest head.

DaveinOlyWA wrote:ok, i got ya. ya, the screw will work. i grounded my box with the conduit which is the standard process here.

dgpcolorado wrote:I used 10 gauge wire for my L6-20 outlet (yes, that's overkill for a 20A circuit). I had no trouble looping the ground wire around the box grounding screw and clamping it securely. Perhaps grounding screws vary by box manufacturer, but I certainly had no trouble with 10 G wire on mine. You will need long-nose pliers, or something similar, to make the loop in the stiff wire but it should work fine.
Are you running into a lot of EV HOLES or ICEHOLES ?

Teach new EV owners about EV Etiquette with my Windshield Notes / Notices I sell on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/evEtiquette?

drees

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Lasareath wrote:Just one question; the 10 Gauge wire is really thick, can I successfully screw down the ground wire with a green ground screw as pictured?

Or should use that all copper terminal lug to attach the ground wire to the Metal gang box?

I have those grounding clips too but the slot where the ground wire is supposed to pass through looks too thin.

You can probably wrap the ground wire around a ground screw, you you're right, might be tough with the 10GA ground wire.

So it could be easier to use terminal lug to attach the ground wire to the box. Or use a ground bar like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-by- ... /202353311

Don't mess with those grounding clips. Too easy for them to come off.

I am certainly not a fan of using the conduit as a ground if running conduit and pulling individual wires, too easy for conduit to come loose and then you lose your ground. I would always pull a separate ground wire.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

Lasareath
Gold Member

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks. I guess I need to get one that comes with this extra screw so I can attach it to the Metal Gang Box.

Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 3.29.40 PM.png

drees wrote:
Lasareath wrote:Just one question; the 10 Gauge wire is really thick, can I successfully screw down the ground wire with a green ground screw as pictured?

Or should use that all copper terminal lug to attach the ground wire to the Metal gang box?

I have those grounding clips too but the slot where the ground wire is supposed to pass through looks too thin.

You can probably wrap the ground wire around a ground screw, you you're right, might be tough with the 10GA ground wire.

So it could be easier to use terminal lug to attach the ground wire to the box. Or use a ground bar like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-by- ... /202353311

Don't mess with those grounding clips. Too easy for them to come off.

I am certainly not a fan of using the conduit as a ground if running conduit and pulling individual wires, too easy for conduit to come loose and then you lose your ground. I would always pull a separate ground wire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Teach new EV owners about EV Etiquette with my Windshield Notes / Notices I sell on Etsy:

drees

Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:48 pm

Lasareath wrote:Thanks. I guess I need to get one that comes with this extra screw so I can attach it to the Metal Gang Box.

Yep. Though as others have said, it's probably overkill and you should be able to get the 10GA wire under a ground screw OK. But if you're not happy with the way that turns out, using a ground lug.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

Lasareath
Gold Member

Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:09 pm

I don't mind going overkill, I like the concept of the Terminal Ground Bar.

I may go with one like this because it has two screws that will hold it to the gang box.

Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 4.05.54 PM.png

drees wrote:
Lasareath wrote:Thanks. I guess I need to get one that comes with this extra screw so I can attach it to the Metal Gang Box.

Yep. Though as others have said, it's probably overkill and you should be able to get the 10GA wire under a ground screw OK. But if you're not happy with the way that turns out, using a ground lug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lasareath
Gold Member

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Lasareath
Gold Member

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:38 pm

Yes the 10 Gauge wire was not a hassle at all to get around the ground screw.

Thanks!

dgpcolorado wrote:I used 10 gauge wire for my L6-20 outlet (yes, that's overkill for a 20A circuit). I had no trouble looping the ground wire around the box grounding screw and clamping it securely. Perhaps grounding screws vary by box manufacturer, but I certainly had no trouble with 10 G wire on mine. You will need long-nose pliers, or something similar, to make the loop in the stiff wire but it should work fine.

Lasareath
Gold Member

Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:03 am

Used this L6-30R again yesterday and worked like a charm. So nice to use a Level 2 #EVSE at my Parents house when I visit them!

Return to “Accessories / Mods”